Wikiposts

Gas/Petrol

Old May 25th 2007, 12:55 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas/Petrol

Originally Posted by Ray
$38K .. is the dreamer price ...ours was up for $30k + taxes etc
drove it away for $23k including everything ...
As they say...anyone who pays the ticket price should be lead gently from the building and quietly exterminated.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Has anyone noticed stations dropping CITGO in favor of another brand of gas? It's happened to few around here. I'm wondering if it's because of Chavez or just normal business decisions.
I think it depends on the states...up in Maine, Irving is massive and so is Citgo, especially after they sorted out so much cheap oil for the elderly up there with a deal off the state.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William

Chrysler are hitting the UK/EU market big time it seems now, theres a Chrysler garage everywhere and loads of what used to be US only vehicles on the roads...I see voyagers, jeeps and dodge rams and crossfires and 300c's all over the place
It's the german influence, but they're selling up, so it might dry up...
Old May 25th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

The only comparison measure (between UK/US prices) that should be used is the actual cost in real terms of driving your vehicle 1 mile.

I calculated my UK costs on my Grand Voyager (based on avg 40mpg or 8.8 miles per litre fuel @94.9p per litre and 12000 miles per year) as:

10.7 pence per mile for petrol (94.9 / 8.8)
3.0 pence per mile for insurance (£360 / 12000 miles)
1.54 pence per mile for road tax and mot (185 /12000)

which is 15.25p per mile give or take.

If I do the same calculations with my US truck @18mpg or 4.76 miles per litre based on current US gas prices - Call it $3.50 as a mean or 92.5c per litre, and assuming 12000 miles per year I get:

19.45c per mile for petrol (92.5 / 4.76)
16.1c per mile for insurance ($2000 / 12000 miles)

which is 35.5c per mile actual costs

That doesnt take into consideration the much higher servicing costs in the US either.

EVEN IF you used the exchange rate myth at its best of 2:1 UK motoring is cheaper now. Fact. Sorry if that hurts....Oh and I have the option of walking more here too.
I always found servicing costs seriously cheaper here than in the US.

And I assume that your caravan is diesel - otherwise someone is telling you porkies about 40mpg
Old May 25th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

As they say...anyone who pays the ticket price should be lead gently from the building and quietly exterminated.
which makes it half the price here than UK!!
Old May 25th 2007, 7:03 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
I always found servicing costs seriously cheaper here than in the US.

And I assume that your caravan is diesel - otherwise someone is telling you porkies about 40mpg
Well $750 for a service on a truck aint cheep.

Yes 2.8 Diesel. And Ive clocked the mpg myself over a couple 2k miles....never believe manufacturers propoganda.
Old May 25th 2007, 7:04 am
Tool

which makes it half the price here than UK!!
Hows that then? Do you earn in £££ but pay in $$$ (ie as a tourist does)? Coz thats the only way you'll get the exchange rate.
Old May 25th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hows that then? Do you earn in £££ but pay in $$$ (ie as a tourist does)? Coz thats the only way you'll get the exchange rate.
Actually I do, but that wasn't my point. $23k cheaper than £29k - but you make a valid point- you cant comapre prices between the 2 countries directly, there are too many variables. As has been said before some (most) are better off here - some arent.

I am one of the lucky ones
Old May 25th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes 2.8 Diesel. And Ive clocked the mpg myself over a couple 2k miles....never believe manufacturers propoganda.
Wise man!

I only got stung with a $700 service once, that probably wasnt really needed. Mostly under $100 - in the uk I paid £120 up to £400 plus depending on the car and the miles
Old May 25th 2007, 8:36 am
Tool

Actually I do, but that wasn't my point. $23k cheaper than £29k - but you make a valid point- you cant comapre prices between the 2 countries directly, there are too many variables. As has been said before some (most) are better off here - some arent.

I am one of the lucky ones

I always maintained that we were fiscally and materially better off in the USA but socially better off in the UK. (Although to be honest the fiscal gap is definitely smaller these days!)
Old May 25th 2007, 11:05 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

The only comparison measure (between UK/US prices) that should be used is the actual cost in real terms of driving your vehicle 1 mile.

I calculated my UK costs on my Grand Voyager (based on avg 40mpg or 8.8 miles per litre fuel @94.9p per litre and 12000 miles per year) as:

10.7 pence per mile for petrol (94.9 / 8.8)
3.0 pence per mile for insurance (£360 / 12000 miles)
1.54 pence per mile for road tax and mot (185 /12000)

which is 15.25p per mile give or take.

If I do the same calculations with my US truck @18mpg or 4.76 miles per litre based on current US gas prices - Call it $3.50 as a mean or 92.5c per litre, and assuming 12000 miles per year I get:

19.45c per mile for petrol (92.5 / 4.76)
16.1c per mile for insurance ($2000 / 12000 miles)

which is 35.5c per mile actual costs

That doesnt take into consideration the much higher servicing costs in the US either.

EVEN IF you used the exchange rate myth at its best of 2:1 UK motoring is cheaper now. Fact. Sorry if that hurts....Oh and I have the option of walking more here too.
I've read your 'argument' many times over and laugh louder each time. You are comparing two completely different vehicles with differing consumption rates. Drive the same vehicle in both countries and the cost per mile is considerably cheaper in the US (obviously).

I can't comment on everyone's insurance rates, but my insurance is cheaper in the US than the UK.

The US doesn't have the same choices for small economical vehicles, but not every vehicle for sale is truck doing 18 mpg. Why not change your vehicles, use a Honda Prius in the US, and a supercharged Range Rover in the UK. See what figures you get then.

It does suck that the US gas prices increases have been MUCH greater than the UK and there are many factors why that has happened and I wish people wouldn't drive vehicles with stupidly large engines for no real reason, (in both countries). I would rather pay more tax on fuel, than pay more towards the oil companies profits.

Last edited by y2b4sure; May 25th 2007 at 11:18 am.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:16 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I always maintained that we were fiscally and materially better off in the USA but socially better off in the UK. (Although to be honest the fiscal gap is definitely smaller these days!)
Not anymore darling, not anymore. (What with property tax and insurance going through the roof since you left )

Our gas price right now is $3.10 on average around my area, and we're not even in the peak season. Fun times At least you have public transport to get you around over there!
Old May 25th 2007, 11:23 am
Tool

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
I've read your 'argument' many times over and laugh louder each time. You are comparing two completely different vehicles with differing consumption rates. Drive the same vehicle in both countries and the cost per mile is considerably cheaper in the US (obviously).

I can't comment on everyone's insurance rates, but my insurance is cheaper in the US than the UK.

The US doesn't have the same choices for small economical vehicles, but not every vehicle for sale is truck doing 18 mpg. Why not change your vehicles, use a Honda Prius in the US, and a supercharged Range Rover in the UK. See what figures you get then.

It does suck that the US gas prices increases have been MUCH greater than the UK and there are many factors why that has happened and I wish people wouldn't drive vehicles with stupidly large engines for no real reason, (in both countries). I would rather pay more tax on fuel, than pay more towards the oil companies profits.
Well Duh! Of course vehicle matters...and another fact is that UK vehicle are MUCH more ecomical on the whole..however what I am comparing is the Grand Voyager we drove in the US against the Grand Voyager we now drive in the UK....same vehicle different countries. So feel free to laugh but your talking shite...infact your argument simply serves to highlite another issue...that in the US you have not the option to drive economical vehicles and nor is there any real kind of public transport alternative and YET your gas prices are rapidly skyrocketing.

Since there is only one direction oil (and gas) prices are going FOR EVERYONE I now I'd rather be in an economical car in the UK with the option to walk/take public transport than an uneconomical one in the US with no alternative. Enjoy your next 180% price hike over 2 years (or less)

Unless the US has a massive culture change very very quickly the cost of motoring there will become prohibitive sooner rather than later.

So You can laugh all you like but it's still a fact that average motoring cost in the UK are cheaper than in the US now. Good luck and happy motoring.

Last edited by Old William; May 25th 2007 at 11:31 am.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:29 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

Well Duh! Of course vehicle matters...and another fact is that UK vehicle are MUCH more ecomical on the whole..however what I am comparing is the Grand Voyager we drove in the US against the Grand Voyager we now drive in the UK....same vehicle different countries. So feel free to laugh but your talking shite.
I thought when you mentioned a 'US truck' that you meant a 'US truck' not a Grand Voyager?

I agree that on the whole the UK vehicles offered have better fuel economy. I'd think this is because of consumer demand for them driven by the higher fuel costs in UK. I believe the current gas prices are due to lack of refinery capacity in the US (that won't have been hard to spot and fix provided it was done soon enough).

I am reliant on my car in the US, but even though the public options were available to me in the UK I didn't use them, because they just weren't as convenient. (I didn't live in a big city).

I agree that costs will keep rising faster in the US, than the UK.

Last edited by y2b4sure; May 25th 2007 at 11:37 am.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:13 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So You can laugh all you like but it's still a fact that average motoring cost in the UK are cheaper than in the US now. Good luck and happy motoring.
Looking at your numbers, it's the insurance that really stands out. I pay about 4.9 cents / mile, and 9.2 cents / mile for gas. But that is for a Civic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.