Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Garage door spring replacement

Garage door spring replacement

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:35 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garage door spring replacement

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's a bit extreme...we would have no house left. :scared:
Or Wasps.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced mine last year, actually I replaced both, one had gone.

The door should be balanced so that it moves up and down with the springs wound to the correct torsion. Also puts less stress on the electric opener.

2 springs were about $120, it is a fairly big door, the smaller door is of course fine.

If you could get both replaced for $250 that would sound fair. If you replace one then sods law is that the other will go soon, it is a function of use so logic suggest it would not be long. I kept the good one as an emergency spare.

Not for the squeamish. I did it as I thought I should and could and I am cheap.

You have to make sure you use the right size, length, thickness and coil diameter. Bigger is not always better but if they do not last long you can upgrade.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:46 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have to make sure you use the right size, length, thickness and coil diameter. Bigger is not always better but if they do not last long you can upgrade.
Phonaw phonaw
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
Phonaw phonaw
Could not help it...
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:23 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I got so fed up with wasps and carpenter ants last year I called Terminex. A guy comes round every 3 months treats the outside of the house. He will also come back at any time within the 3 mths if we have problems. Seems to have worked because this year we haven't had a problem with wasps....or bees as they always call them.
Aye - forgot about ants - had to deal with them last week after i picked my blackberry up from the table on the way to work and it was infested with little tiny ants - they were crawling out of the keys and everything.
Sprayed the house and haven't seen them since but maybe if yanks used bricks and mortar instead of wood and plaster to build houses I wouldn't be having these problems in the first place - only yanks could build disposable houses'
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

AlbaTivo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Aye - forgot about ants - had to deal with them last week after i picked my blackberry up from the table on the way to work and it was infested with little tiny ants - they were crawling out of the keys and everything.
Sprayed the house and haven't seen them since but maybe if yanks used bricks and mortar instead of wood and plaster to build houses I wouldn't be having these problems in the first place - only yanks could build disposable houses'
We had our single spring replaced a couple of months ago and it too was $100 - well worth it if you plan on keeping your appendages

Steven
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AlbaTivo
We had our single spring replaced a couple of months ago and it too was $100 - well worth it if you plan on keeping your appendages

Steven
I dont usually complain, and peace and harmony and all that. But this has got to be the most DULL topic ever conceived by mankind to talk about.

May I respectfully suggest the close examination of how to change a tire, or even which way round to store cups and glasses in the kitchen cupboard.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:38 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
I dont usually complain, and peace and harmony and all that. But this has got to be the most DULL topic ever conceived by mankind to talk about.

May I respectfully suggest the close examination of how to change a tire, or even which way round to store cups and glasses in the kitchen cupboard.
We've just stopped Davy losing an arm, credit where credit is due
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:41 pm

I always worry about the weight of the dinner plates in the cupboard, I always like to distibute the weight, of course this doesn't apply to Tupperware products, where weight isn't really an issue.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We've just stopped Davy losing an arm, credit where credit is due

Oh well, if human pain and suffering is involved..........

I've had garage doors of the wooden and plastic roll-up variety. I remember my Mum and Dad had wooden ones that rolled sideways back in UK.
Suppose the sideways-rolling kind are a bit safer. Unless during an earthquake, then all bets would be off. Probably why they dont have that type in Californi..........................
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:49 pm

Tupperware....now there's a whole new thread.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't you just get a door that opens by pulling it ?

Think it might be a safer option for you..

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by CasG

:scared: This is America FFS
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Tupperware....now there's a whole new thread.

Fantastic idea Gruff me ol' wacky-slappin-botty-wangle matey old boy.

........lets start this crazy rollercoater of an idea going.

Q: Prefer the newer blue or traditional clear variety.
(answers in 1000 words or more)
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CasG

Think you'd need a longer driveway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.