Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gaaah! Employers!!

Gaaah! Employers!!

Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:11 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaaah! Employers!!

Originally Posted by dakota44
Not really the point.
Ummm... Yes it is.

The original frustration vented by the OP was that her husband's employer asked him to produce documentation it had no legal authority to request -- and the fact that, by doing so, he felt it might lose his job if he didn't comply.

For some of you, showing the GC obviously isn't a big deal. But the point is that no one should be put in this position in the first place -- and they wouldn't be, if the employer's behavior is legal. In this case, it wasn't. I don't think it's right to put anyone down just because they don't feel like caving into pressure, particularly when a law exists to protect them from that pressure in the first place.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:31 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Ummm... Yes it is.

The original frustration vented by the OP was that her husband's employer asked him to produce documentation it had no legal authority to request -- and the fact that, by doing so, he felt it might lose his job if he didn't comply.

For some of you, showing the GC obviously isn't a big deal. But the point is that no one should be put in this position in the first place -- and they wouldn't be, if the employer's behavior is legal. In this case, it wasn't. I don't think it's right to put anyone down just because they don't feel like caving into pressure, particularly when a law exists to protect them from that pressure in the first place.

~ Jenney
Now that's a very good point. If we start saying "Yeah, technically it's illegal, but what's the big deal?" then where does it stop?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Some laws are just bigger (bigger? you know what I mean) than others.

* I doubt any people on this forum have murdered anyone in cold blood.
* I guarantee that everyone on here who drives has driven at 31mph in a 30mph zone.
* A lot of employers ask for an immigrants Green Card when technically they shouldn't.

It's all about common-sense.

In recent years it is now illegal for an employer to ask about your marital status, sexuality, religion, sporting preferences etc.

As long as you can judge the interviewer OK then I'm sure a lot of us make a point of getting stuff like this into the interview. It's called social small-talk. Assuming your technical skills match up to the other candidates then being the person who took the piss out of his Oakland Raiders pennant (because both you and your wife are big Broncos fans) may well get you the job.

If you mention your wife and the topic naturally comes round to 'do you have any kids?' then just answer the question in a chatty way. Ask the same question back to him. Chat about local schools or whatever. By all means answer 'that is illegal to ask that' but hey! - good luck at your next interview. I doubt if you'll be getting this job.

Just like people do 31mph in a 30mph zone - it is the way it is.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:54 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Some laws are just bigger (bigger? you know what I mean) than others.

* I doubt any people on this forum have murdered anyone in cold blood.
* I guarantee that everyone on here who drives has driven at 31mph in a 30mph zone.
* A lot of employers ask for an immigrants Green Card when technically they shouldn't.

It's all about common-sense.

In recent years it is now illegal for an employer to ask about your marital status, sexuality, religion, sporting preferences etc.

As long as you can judge the interviewer OK then I'm sure a lot of us make a point of getting stuff like this into the interview. It's called social small-talk. Assuming your technical skills match up to the other candidates then being the person who took the piss out of his Oakland Raiders pennant (because both you and your wife are big Broncos fans) may well get you the job.

If you mention your wife and the topic naturally comes round to 'do you have any kids?' then just answer the question in a chatty way. Ask the same question back to him. Chat about local schools or whatever. By all means answer 'that is illegal to ask that' but hey! - good luck at your next interview. I doubt if you'll be getting this job.

Just like people do 31mph in a 30mph zone - it is the way it is.
Agreed...you don't want to be perceived as a pain in the *ss when there are people out there willing to go well above and beyond the call of duty just for a paycheck.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Now that's a very good point. If we start saying "Yeah, technically it's illegal, but what's the big deal?" then where does it stop?

I agree since it is the law, it should be abided by. However, I am all in favor of changing that law and making it mandatory that some proof of right to work have been authorized. For US citizens that could perhaps be a small naturalization card or perhaps a notation on a driver's license, etc.

If they are going to make the employment of illegal immigrations a finable offence, then documentation should be required that proves that the applicant has that authority.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I agree since it is the law, it should be abided by. However, I am all in favor of changing that law and making it mandatory that some proof of right to work have been authorized. For US citizens that could perhaps be a small naturalization card or perhaps a notation on a driver's license, etc.

If they are going to make the employment of illegal immigrations a finable offence, then documentation should be required that proves that the applicant has that authority.
I think everyone's missing the point. The law is there to protect against discrimination, so anyone eligible for work is treated the same.

Also, both a SS card and the "Greencard" are, most likely, easily forged. I certainly wouldn't know how to verify the authenticity of either a SS car or a Greencard, I doubt most HR departments/employees do either.

Hence it is the government's job to provide something that allows employers to verify whether someone is eligible for work. Surely this is what E-verify was for?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think everyone's missing the point. The law is there to protect against discrimination, so anyone eligible for work is treated the same.
No, we are not missing the point. You are missing my point as discussed earlier in the thread. It is all to possible fro someone to have a social security card with a legend on it and still not have permission to work in the US.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

No, we are not missing the point. You are missing my point as discussed earlier in the thread. It is all to possible fro someone to have a social security card with a legend on it and still not have permission to work in the US.
Does a person who sounds American, possesses a US high school diploma and US degree, and lives in the US, and can present an SSN necessarily have the right to work in the US? Are these people asked to present their passports?

And how do you know the Greencard is the real thing? It's unlikely you can verify it's authenticity without seeking some external help.

Therein lies the pointlessness of asking for either a SS card, letter from USCIS, a Greencard, or even a passport - a typical employer has no way to validate any of them. That is my point.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Apr 6th 2010 at 4:32 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:38 pm
Concierge

Does a person who sounds American, possesses a US high school diploma and US degree, and lives in the US, and can present an SSN necessarily have the right to work in the US? Are these people asked to present their passports?
Not they are not and that is not what was said or discussed by me. Although I DO present my passport when I've completed the I-9.

My nephew-in-law which was discussed by me earlier looks American, sounds American, and has a legend free social security card. He is Canadian, and does not have the right to work in the US. Discovered when ss card was electronically verified by union.

And how do you know the Greencard is the real thing? It's unlikely you can verify it's authenticity without seeking some external help.
You don't but at least you have a copy of a document which was presented to you which can, if you need to, be verified by the USCIS and also the SSA.

Therein lies the pointlessness of asking for either a SS card, letter from USCIS, a Greencard, or even a passport - a typical employer has no way to validate any of them. That is my point.
Yes, they do have a means of verifying them. Why do you think that they do not?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You don't but at least you have a copy of a document which was presented to you which can, if you need to, be verified by the USCIS and also the SSA.
You can't verify a photocopy. Was the card even real?....

Yes, they do have a means of verifying them. Why do you think that they do not?
They don't. How do they know if the Greencard is real? Are they experts in recognizing fakes?

Looking at my Greencard it features a hologram, some type of film on the back, a fingerprint and some text for a scanner. An employer can't verify any of these without external help.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think that's the point of her post.
Originally Posted by Boiler
A good point
Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
As fatbrit pointed out
Not really the point.
Ummm... Yes it is.
Originally Posted by chartreuse
Now that's a very good point.
I think everyone's missing the point.
That is my point.
No, we are not missing the point. You are missing my point as discussed earlier in the thread.

Well I think there's one thing we can all agree on - nobody could argue that this thread was pointless...
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:32 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Well I think there's one thing we can all agree on - nobody could argue that this thread was pointless...
Now that's a pointed observation!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:48 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
GC was the first thing I took to a new employer. I keep mine with my DL.

Odd that you would not have it with you for a new job.
DH does also, except he left his wallet at home this morning when he went for job interview!!! He has to scan and send them a copy.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

It chaps some of our asses that someone would be so seriously opposed to presenting a green card that the country was willing to bestow upon them. As some have mentioned, they present it proudly. As for the lawsuit, doubt it would be a wise course of action. All the attendant press, your name in the paper. I can see the situation arising where a potential employer reviewing your resume recognizes the name of someone who sued a company because it was, perhaps in more paranoia than necessary about ICE, wanting to protect itself. The resume, one suspects, would end up in the circular file. That's where I'd put it. No one wants a shit disturber on staff who might then sue them for some minor irritation at the water cooler. If asked for the green card after being hired, it is not discrimination because you have already been hired with full knowledge that you are not a citizen. It is merely an employer being, perhaps, over protective of self interest in avoiding problems with undocumented workers. Sometimes we just have to roll with minor inconveniences and not blow things out of proportion.

There is a huge business in providing false documents, including the revered I-9 as well as SS cards and even green cards. I don't blame any employer for wanting as much as they can get in the way of proof of legal working status. It's a major hassle for businesses and hopefully E verify will help to cure the problem.
Interestingly enough, out of the blue, several years ago, my employer (who I'd been with 10 years at that point) was requiring all of us to present proof of being "legal" here. In my case I had my passport.

The pendulum is swinging.

I had to provide proof when I worked in the Netherlands, that as a USC I was NOT taking a job away from a native.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm... Yes it is.

~ Jenney
We all know the law about asking for a green card. The point in some of the responses is that it's much ado about nothing. No one was asked to commit an indecent act. No one was asked to bare their breasts for employment. No one was asked overtly personal questions about their sexual relations with animals. They were asked for a Green Card. Rather than getting their tits in a knot, what harm would it have done them to comply? If they failed to carry the card as required by law, that's on them. No employer likes a "sea lawyer" who is quick to shove some ridiculous rule in their face and in doing so make an unfortunate reputation for themselves. Much Ado About Nothing. Live with it. That's the point of many responses in this thread. Are there not more pressing concerns in ones life than something so petty?

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 6th 2010 at 8:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.