Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

G/C where is it valid?

G/C where is it valid?

Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default G/C where is it valid?

My OH has been offered a contract in Bermuda would my G/C cover me there?

Does the G/C just cover me within the continental US?

Basically where is it valid please.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G/C where is it valid?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
My OH has been offered a contract in Bermuda would my G/C cover me there?

Does the G/C just cover me within the continental US?

Basically where is it valid please.

Not sure what you mean by 'cover.. Bermuda is a different country (ex-UK colony).
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not sure what you mean by 'cover.. Bermuda is a different country (ex-UK colony).
Its still an overseas territory of the UK
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Its still an overseas territory of the UK
But they govern themselves, don't they?

A Brit would not need a visa to live there, or would they?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

But they govern themselves, don't they?

A Brit would not need a visa to live there, or would they?
Executive authority in Bermuda is invested in The Queen and is exercised on her behalf by the Governor. The Governor is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the British Government. Defence and Foreign Affairs remain the responsibility of the United Kingdom, which also retains responsibility to ensure good government. It must approve any changes to the Constitution of Bermuda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda#Politics

In fact poppy cock could lose her GC ...
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Surely a GC is only for US use, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and everywhere except Puerto Ricco would need your passport for entry if you are not a US citizen ............. All the green card does is get you back into the USA.

As Raymondo pointed out Bermuda is British overseas territory .. so by rights you should infact have more rights there than a USC.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well my OH seems to think that my GC would be valid for me to live and work there? where he got that notion from I have no idea.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:18 pm

In fact poppy cock could lose her GC ...[/QUOTE]

Crap may be on a non starter here then.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:25 pm
Ray

Well my OH seems to think that my GC would be valid for me to live and work there? where he got that notion from I have no idea.
In fact he might need a visa ... but no idea ....
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
In fact he might need a visa ... but no idea ....
WOW better check this out tomorrow then with the Bermuda Tourist Board I guess.

So where does a G/C allow you to live then?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:41 pm
Ray

The US and protectorates
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:47 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother with the tourist board -- look up information through the Bermudian immigration website. You're not looking to be a tourist, after all.

A green card allows you to live anywhere in the US, plus Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and I think some other places like Guam and Western Samoa. As it is a US immigration document allowing you to reside and work in the US, it generally doesn't really mean a whole lot outside the US because you're still a citizen of another country and enter on that country's passport, etc.

I would recommend reading this page on the USCIS website to help understand what a green card is and what its uses are.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
The US and protectorates
A protectorate is a dependent area in which a metropolitan power has acquired control of the area's foreign relations and defense but which the metropolitan power has not annexed. The dependent area, thereby, is not under the sovereignty of the metropolitan power. Those born in such a dependent area, viz., a protectorate, are not nationals of the metropolitan power, and the area remains foreign for purposes of the metropolitan power's domestic law. Having said all this, I must add that the metropolitan power of a protectorate may exercise its jurisdiction - not sovereignty - in such an area in as ample a manner as if the metropolitan power had gained the area by conquest or cession. The United States does not have protectorates. Instead, the United States of America is the sovereign of fourteen insular areas.

Come on Ray interpret this for me please
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:50 pm
Ray

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]A protectorate is a dependent area in which a metropolitan power has acquired control of the area's foreign relations and defense but which the metropolitan power has not annexed.
Protectrate is a UK word ...
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:51 pm
Homebody

Poppy - the important thing for you guys to realise is that you will probably find it easier to live and work in Bermuda than your husband (I am assuming you are a Brit and he is a USC).

But the Immigration website Jenney mentioned probably has the specific answers you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.