Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

Funniest here ................. Your from England ! .... Do you know John Preston ?

Funniest back there ..... Pulling up at Tesco Distribution in Kiln Farm MK with a white truck that had 'Matchbox' in 8 inch letters on the door, a trailer with 'Matchbox' in 6 foot high letters along the side and being asked by the security guy "Who do you drive for ?"

"Federal Express actually"

A couple of years ago I was chatting to a middle aged lady in Glens Falls who asked "And whats it like in England ? ..... I mean do they have stores there like here ... where you can buy food and things?"

Last edited by Patrick Hasler; Jan 5th 2007 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

After working on the London Eye for 7years, i met my fair share of Americas finest specimins!!!

I once went on the eye with some friends and shared a capsule with a family from NYC.
Just as we reached the very top of the wheel the dad of the family rushed to the south east corner of the capsule and gleefully calls the rest of his clan to join him. He excitedly pointed out the Crystal Palace TV Ariel and was rushing to take pictures with his family in the foreground and the TV Ariel behind. He was soo excited that he had spotted the EIFFEL TOWER and Buckingham Palace and been able to show his knowledge of of the UK to his family!
I used to talk to our yank friends daily and heard "great view of the eiffel tower" on a weekly basis.. ah bless!

Oh, and i was once asked by a guy fom CA if the capsules had windows!?!?!? hmmmmmm
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite is when I was in London at the Inns of Court having a dinner with barristers from around the Commonwealth. When a few of them learned that I was in America they asked 'so, is Baywatch for real?'
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Funniest here ................. Your from England ! .... Do you know John Preston ?

Funniest back there ..... Pulling up at Tesco Distribution in Kiln Farm MK with a white truck that had 'Matchbox' in 8 inch letters on the door, a trailer with 'Matchbox' in 6 foot high letters along the side and being asked by the security guy "Who do you drive for ?"

"Federal Express actually"
Nice one, Pat.

I get the same thing if I stop in a Burger King or a McDonalds with the Coach. Some old guywill probably stop me and say;

"Going On A Trip, Are You?"

To which I reply:

"What Gave It Away?"

Jim.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:40 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

hello, newbie here.
I did have a young man ask me if we spoke English in England. What I don't get is when people (I have had several over the years living here) ask me where I'm from and I say England and they ask if I have family there!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spuggy
hello, newbie here.
I did have a young man ask me if we spoke English in England. What I don't get is when people (I have had several over the years living here) ask me where I'm from and I say England and they ask if I have family there!
hiya newbie and welcome, why not post in the meet and greet section and tell us about yourself

i was asked some time back how long i'd been here and where was i from...after i told them 5 yrs and England the lady told me that i spoke good english considering the short time i'd been here....

bless you've gorra larfff
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

My best yet was 'Are you From France?'

I was speaking English to my English husband...
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Another one:

"How long did it take for you to get used to driving on the right side of the road?"

To which I reply;

"Not long really, but, I did practice driving on the right side for 6 months, before I came over!"

Jim.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh - just remembered this one too: 'd'you know Crocodile Dundee?'
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

aragorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a question, but this still makes me smile, a conversation between me, my dad and a shop assistant in a Big Dogs store in Centralia, WA.

SA: "Wow, I love your accent, is it Australian?"
DAD: "No, we're from England"
SA: "Really? We just opened a store there."
DAD: "Oh? Where?"
SA: "Hold on, let me call head office"

<phone call>

SA: "Could you tell me where in England we just opened a store?"
SA: "Uh huh, yes, uh huh... OK, thanks"

</phone call>

SA: "So, apparently it is in "New England", is that near you guys?"
ME: "Erm, no, I believe that is one of your states"
SA: "Oh, I always get those mixed up"
ME:
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aragorngw
Not really a question, but this still makes me smile, a conversation between me, my dad and a shop assistant in a Big Dogs store in Centralia, WA.

SA: "Wow, I love your accent, is it Australian?"
DAD: "No, we're from England"
SA: "Really? We just opened a store there."
DAD: "Oh? Where?"
SA: "Hold on, let me call head office"

<phone call>

SA: "Could you tell me where in England we just opened a store?"
SA: "Uh huh, yes, uh huh... OK, thanks"

</phone call>

SA: "So, apparently it is in "New England", is that near you guys?"
ME: "Erm, no, I believe that is one of your states"
SA: "Oh, I always get those mixed up"
ME:

haha you cannot be serious
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

aragorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond reputearagorngw has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, I am deadly serious. It was about 2.5 years ago and it was still the first thing brought up when I went back at Christmas...
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
haha you cannot be serious
Just now it happened Teenage boy's about 14year old I'd say at school Bus stop, over hear me talking and ask if I was Italian well I know I talk with a London accent but that is taking thing's a bit far ain't it.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

"I love your aksent, where are you from?"
"England"

---silence---

"....say something..."
"Bollocks"
"Ballaks?????"

Possibly a little on the unfriendly side, but FFS, after the 37,534th time it gets just a little predictable.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britvic
Just now it happened Teenage boy's about 14year old I'd say at school Bus stop, over hear me talking and ask if I was Italian well I know I talk with a London accent so I don't really blame them, as we all sound like we're brain dead and may just as well be from Mars.
Couldn't agree with you more Vic, well said.

In fact, Karma for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.