Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Wikiposts

Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Old May 5th 2005, 4:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Bob with your mom at 20 years of age??????????????????????????
no, he'd kick her to the curb at the border
(No offence )
Old May 5th 2005, 4:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
I'm not sure about the beers in the woods being great fun Bob??? PMSL
well less likely to get caught drinking underage
plus it's still early, mozzies aren't bad right now..
Old May 5th 2005, 4:35 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Fun weekend for 'adult' (!) son?

Seattle is well worth a visit, in fact Washington State is better than cali IMO. There is plenty to see and do without needing a car, not being able to drink is a bit of a pisser though. Oh, take an umbrella for sure.
Old May 5th 2005, 5:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Seattle is well worth a visit, in fact Washington State is better than cali IMO. There is plenty to see and do without needing a car, not being able to drink is a bit of a pisser though. Oh, take an umbrella for sure.
Yes, I think I'm inclined to go for Seattle. So, if you only had a couple of days - what are the top things to do?
Old May 5th 2005, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a shame that he cant work, no wonder he's depressed its hard trying to fit in but even more so when you cant get out to meet people. I feel for you all. Has he got friends in your area to cheer him up? Is he allowed to do volunteer work?

From the sounds of it Washington State seems like a great option for a visit.
Old May 5th 2005, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Yes, I think I'm inclined to go for Seattle. So, if you only had a couple of days - what are the top things to do?

If the Lonely Planet do a Seattle book they normally list the top 10 things to do. Its a great guide and also geared at the more adventurous.
Old May 5th 2005, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of Soutwest Reward tickets, one of which is about to expire. Seeing that my son is a bit under the weather (homesick...), I thought I would take him somewhere for the weekend - but he can't think of anywhere he'd like to go.

Any suggestions, anyone? He is 20 and his current interests can be summed up as 'hanging out'. Possible destinations (based on SW destinations and accessibility from CA) are Seattle, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, Houston.

Basically he just needs to get away for a few days as he's in a bit of a rut right now...

TIA
Have lots of sympathy for you, as my daughter is almost in the same position. She will be 20 at the end of the month and is frustrated that she is wholly dependent on us. Like your son, she was 15, when we arrived and as we were only here for 14 months at the time, never anticipated this problem, certainly never imagine she would 20 and unable to work.

Fortunately, she is at university now and compared to many of her friends, has ample time to study, so will be completing her degree in 4 yrs unlike the what seems to be a traditional 5-6 yr period for most students. She has also just got a voluntary position in the lab of her genetics professor. At the end of the summer, she will become his research assistant and assuming her work permit comes through it will becoming a paying position. This summer she will be doing 4 credit classes so her holiday time is limited to the 4 weeks between the spring and summer semester.

Her biggest problem is that she is very very homesick as the last time we visited Scotland was in the summer of 2002 and now we are going through the whole gc process we are stuck here until we get AP. Next week she is going away with her room-mate to the coast, so hopefully that will placate her somewhat.

Talking of which, why doesn't your son fly to Houston and go to Corpus Christi or somewhere along the Gulf coast. All the universities are out next week so it will be full of young people, just hanging out and enjoying themselves.

Hope your son gets out of the doldrums soon, as it can effect the whole family if you don't watch it.

Last edited by jjmb; May 5th 2005 at 5:26 am.
Old May 5th 2005, 5:43 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Have lots of sympathy for you... Hope your son gets out of the doldrums soon, as it can effect the whole family if you don't watch it.
Thank you so much for your support - and you are so right...
Old May 5th 2005, 6:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by jjmb

Fortunately, she is at university now and compared to many of her friends, has ample time to study, so will be completing her degree in 4 yrs unlike the what seems to be a traditional 5-6 yr period for most students.
5-6 yrs? What kind of drinking degrees people take over here?
Everyone I know over here did there degree's in 4, some with honours, some without...only one guy stretched to 5 years, but he did a year exchange in europe.
Old May 5th 2005, 6:15 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Bob
5-6 yrs? What kind of drinking degrees people take over here?
Everyone I know over here did there degree's in 4, some with honours, some without...only one guy stretched to 5 years, but he did a year exchange in europe.
definitely becoming more common though - they have to work to pay the fees...
Old May 5th 2005, 6:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

definitely becoming more common though - they have to work to pay the fees...
Year internship is still credits...and everyone is all loaned up anyway, so why not get it over with quicker to get to the job market sooner?
Old May 5th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
And I'm sure the OP's son values his H-4 visa more....

NC Penguin
I have no idea what an H4 is, so I have no idea what the hell your talking about.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:21 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I have no idea what an H4 is, so I have no idea what the hell your talking about.
The spouse and unmarried children( below 21 years of age ) of an H1B visa holder are eligible for an H4 visa.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:22 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I would get him a day on a track. Find a racing track somewhere with single seat or touring car training.

I did it back in England at Thruxton. Awesome. Felt like an F1 driver for the day.

At 20, he'll love it and will remember it forever.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
...Administered by a dominatrix?

NC Penguin

Not the one that some guy wants to marry for a green card in the visa forum is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.