Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Full... English... Breakfast

Wikiposts

Full... English... Breakfast

Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Full... English... Breakfast

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Consider this your opportunity to eat more healthily ... a full English breakfast, like its US counterpart, is a heart-attack on a plate so consider moving onto better things
Let's see, once a fortnight for near enough 10 years - I make that roughly 250 heart attacks that I've queued up for later in life if it's one per plate!

Every other day of the week is generally Bran Flakes, Corn flakes or simply a glass of orange juice and toast - Lunch is quite bad coz there are about 20 different fast food/sub shops within a mile and I am really bad at making my own lunch
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hawkini
OK - I have done much searching, both on these forums and on the wider internet - can't see to find the answer to two questions:

a) Where can we find a butcher than knows how to cut British Bacon (my wife is getting really homesick, she wants a Sainsburys All Day Breakfast - and she can't do one at home coz the sausages, bacon, hash browns etc are not the same.

b) Failing a butcher who has a clue on what "British" Bacon is, and finding one that will NOT smoke the stuff, where is a decent restaurant/diner/dive or whatever that knows to do one in the Raleigh area? I've heard of some place in Charlotte called the Big Ben but thats like 3 hours away - hardly justification to get a fix on a staple of British diet
www.britishdelights.com

They are fantastic and pack their meats in freezer boxes so that the heat is not affected. I had one of these recently and it was well worth the money, cheaper than going into NYC for me.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Microwave between paper towels to a crisp, it's not bad at all!
Could never find a taste for any bacon done in the microwave. You need to fry it in its own grease or it isn't worth having.

But the best stuff on earth is Pancetta - Italian rolled bacon. Get a few thick slices of that, microwave it until the fat is crisp, and it's heavenly! !! Have to get it from a proper 'deli' though, where they have the 'whole' product and will slice to order ... even Whole Foods are a bit dicey on the product.
Have an real Italian deli around the corner from us and Arthur Avenue (Little Italy/Bronx) less and 1/2 mile away. This has never look appealing in the least.

I found Canadian bacon to be a sufficient 'substitute' when I used to crave British bacon back in the 'early days'.
And any Canadian will tell you that is not Canadian Bacon.

Consider this your opportunity to eat more healthily ... a full English breakfast, like its US counterpart, is a heart-attack on a plate so consider moving onto better things
How so for the American counterpart. It is either bacon or sausage links or ham, 2 eggs any style, homefries or hash browns, and toast.

Now an Irish breakfast will kill ya. The rasher of bacon, black or white sausage, eggs, beans, toast, and usually pancakes as well, potatoes and slices of tomato.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

Was back in Blighty in March. Ate so many breakfast meat products, not to mention perfect marmalade on toast. I was the man in the Tesco car park with a king sized sausage roll in his hand. Oh Matron!