Reload this Page >

Fresh off the boat

Fresh off the boat

Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

spudd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fresh off the boat

Hi all,
I've just arrived in the US and am in the process of buying a car.

Can anyone tell me if I'll need to do a practical test, as well as the theory test to get a licence in NJ?

And, what the approximate cost is for registering a used car here?
- From what I can tell, it's $60 for the title transfer and $46.50 for the registration fees (>2 yrs old, <3500 lbs)
- The dealer wants to charge me $350

Thanks!
PS I'm Irish so I hope you'll allow me to stay on BE!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fresh off the boat

What immigration evidence do you have? It's all about that now, for getting your license. What is your visa type?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

I've an L1 visa, does this change anything?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spudd
I've an L1 visa, does this change anything?
It means you have the right documents for getting your driver's license!

You should be required to do a road test; I don't think there are any states that wills switch a UK for a US license.
Rules will be specific to your state, so confine your searches to New Jersey and the afternoon crowd from out there will be here soon to tell you all about it, I'm sure!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I've just arrived in the US and am in the process of buying a car.

Can anyone tell me if I'll need to do a practical test, as well as the theory test to get a licence in NJ?

- From what I can tell, it's $60 for the title transfer and $46.50 for the registration fees (>2 yrs old, <3500 lbs)

Thanks!
PS I'm Irish so I hope you'll allow me to stay on BE!
If you have a UK licence you will only need to take a multiple question written test...you will not need to take a practical road test.

There are strict rules about the ID you have to present when you apply for a driver's license.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/6PointID.htm

Sorry, I can't help you about the used car thing because I've never bought one. If you buy a new car in NJ the dealer cannot let you drive it away until he has verified your insurance details with the insurance company...again I don't know if it's the same with a used vehicle.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 5th 2010 at 7:46 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I decided to call the MVC to find out.

Getting a licence, I "may or may not" be asked to do a practical test, was what I was told, she wouldn't be more specific!

Regarding the registration charges, the dealer is having me on, the fees are exactly as I thought, he's out of state so I could give him the benefit of the doubt (maybe).

The only thing I forgot to ask was whether the cost of the plates is on top, or including these charges?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I decided to call the MVC to find out.

Getting a licence, I "may or may not" be asked to do a practical test, was what I was told, she wouldn't be more specific!

Regarding the registration charges, the dealer is having me on, the fees are exactly as I thought, he's out of state so I could give him the benefit of the doubt (maybe).

The only thing I forgot to ask was whether the cost of the plates is on top, or including these charges?
What is the MVC?

If you have a UK licence you do not have to take a road test in NJ...you only take a written test. You just turn up at the nearest centre and sit the test...you will need photo ID...good idea to take your PP c/w US visa and your UK driving licence.

BTW the reason that she wouldn't be more specific is that most of the employees don't know the answers to most of the questions asked of them.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 5th 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Spudman69, the driving tests over here are ridiculously easy. Don't sweat it.
Welcome to Americaville.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What is the MVC?

If you have a UK licence you do not have to take a road test in NJ...you only take a written test. You just turn up at the nearest centre and sit the test...you will need photo ID...good idea to take your PP c/w US visa and your UK driving licence.

BTW the reason that she wouldn't be more specific is that most of the employees don't know the answers to most of the questions asked of them.
The MVC is the Motor Vechicle Commission, as I understand it, what NJ calls it's DMVs (http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/)

I have an Irish licence, I'm not sure if that changes anything, as we're all Europeans, I hope not! I'll find out soon enough.

Before that though, I need to study the rules of the road. A lot of it looks straight forward, but there are a lot of details to learn (mainly about stopping distances & fines)
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:37 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my dealer about this when I bought. He said I would be welcome to do the titling myself but that I would not be permitted to drive the car anywhere until it was done. I would have to go to the DMV in person, submit the paperwork, wait for the permit/licences, then come back again to the dealership. Since this dealership was about 50 minutes from my house I decided to have him do it. As I understand it the dealership is able to issue temporary plates that I use while the paperwork is processed, and then I came back a few weeks later to get the "real" plates.

So it's a convenience thing, and as with any convenience you are paying for the saved time. I would check with your DMV to find out if it is legal for people to self-title in your area. Then ask your dealer the same question. If the answers don't match, he is lying, and you should go elsewhere.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:39 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

What is the MVC?
and how long have you lived in NJ?

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome! I've heard the tests are straightforward. I've been living in mainland Europe for a few years so have plenty of experience on the "wrong" side of the road, still if I can avoid having to take a test, all the better!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

What is the MVC?

I posted a reply to you a minute ago ...hasn't shown up though???
MVCs as far as I understand it are NJ's version of DMVs (but I'm no expert!)

Last edited by spudd; Oct 5th 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by elfman
and how long have you lived in NJ?

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

Too bloody long!!

I posted a reply to you a minute ago ...hasn't shown up though???
MVCs as far as I understand it are NJ's version of DMVs (but I'm no expert!)
Yes silly me it's the new name for the DMV as per my link in post #5...I'll go back to sleep now.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:47 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

just wanted to say that in OHIO - we had to take a letter from the employer on headed paper that stated my husband was still employed as an L1 by the company, at the address of xxx, and that I was his wife on an L2. The licence bureaus wouldnt give us the licence until we produced that letter so might be worth having your HR dept knock up something simple to take with you as it may help. we got the letter that afternoon and went back but we could have saved time. (we also had to sit the practical and theory tests again).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.