Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 10:01 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Originally Posted by tony126
Thanks for that. I am now set-up even though I have read and tried these instructions a number of times. I decised to give it another go and found that when I pressed the 1 & 9 quickly the menu appeared. I feel like Robert Bruce and The spider.
Well done!! My Coby is much simpler, thank goodness!! Just ordered some PAL format DVD's on Amazon.UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slightly different hack process - and other advice

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Just realised. The player doesn't recognise the format because it is not setup to read the format you're trying to play. Hence the "no disc" message. So try this *WITHOUT* a disc. And set it up with the applicable region. It should work.

Multi-Region:
  • Turn On the player and make sure there is no disc in
  • Close the tray
  • Press Menu, 1 and 9
  • A menu will appear and press Enter, this will highlight the Region setting
  • Press the number of the region required i.e. 0, 1, 2 etc.
  • Press Enter again
  • Press Open/Close tray
I just set up my CyberHome 320 that I bought at Wally's for 20 bucks, and the hack described above didn't quite work. From "Menu .... Press 1 ... Press 9", my player needed different treatment. Instead of "Enter .. Press region (0) ... Press Enter", I did the following: "use arrow keys to go from region 1 to region 0 ... Press Enter".

When I followed the original hack, pressing "Enter" after "Menu ... 1 ... 9" simply confirmed the existing region (1) and took me back to a blank screen.

I brought back with me a set of "Cold Feet" DVD's (all series) and a DVD of a British made-for TV drama called "Births, Deaths, and Marriages" with Ray Winstone (he was in the movie "Sexy Beast"). Looks great, can't wait to watch it. And now I can ask the rellie's to send me UK DVD's. Brilliant!

A couple of other things with this DVD: You may need to change some of the default settings (use the "Setup" button) in order to get a decent picture. I used component video connections for example, and the default setting is for S-video which made the picture red instead of color. You also need to make sure the PAL/Auto/NTSC is set to NTSC (I think I mistakenly set it to Auto and it was sending a PAL signal to my TV when I had the UK DVD playing, and a NTSC signal when my US DVD was playing.

It was good to be home over Christmas though I was a bit disappointed in the DVD shops - all they seemed to have was Hollywood stuff. I know there are good UK movies out there, because I rent them from Netflix. All the UK made-for-TV stuff seemed overpriced (only the Hollywood stuiff was on sale). Anybody got clues as to where to shop for decent UK DVD's at reasonable prices?

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 3rd 2005 at 6:55 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:12 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slightly different hack process - and other advice

Originally Posted by dunroving
A couple of other things with this DVD: You may need to change some of the default settings (use the "Setup" button) in order to get a decent picture. I used component video connections for example, and the default setting is for S-video which made the picture red instead of color. You also need to make sure the PAL/Auto/NTSC is set to NTSC (I think I mistakenly set it to Auto and it was sending a PAL signal to my TV when I had the UK DVD playing, and a NTSC signal when my US DVD was playing.
Ahh, so that might be my problem! Maybe I need to switch it to NTSC so that my DVDs don't drag.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Ahh, so that might be my problem! Maybe I need to switch it to NTSC so that my DVDs don't drag.
If by "drag" you mean the picture keeps going down the screen then I think you do have a PAL/NTSC problem (that's what mine was doing when I had it set to "Auto") - changing the settings should fix this.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:36 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody got clues as to where to shop for decent UK DVD's at reasonable prices?[/QUOTE]

Try www.amazon.co.uk. I ordered some old DVD's and they work great on the Cyberhome 300.
Not sure how old you are however Amazon have many oldies such as Steptoe, Reginald Perrin, Rising Damp, Porridge and movies such as Kes, Ealing comedies etc. etc. You have to do some digging unless you have a specific title you are searching for which can be entered as a search.
Good Luck.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:01 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by tomelina
Try www.amazon.co.uk. I ordered some old DVD's and they work great on the Cyberhome 300.
Not sure how old you are however Amazon have many oldies such as Steptoe, Reginald Perrin, Rising Damp, Porridge and movies such as Kes, Ealing comedies etc. etc. You have to do some digging unless you have a specific title you are searching for which can be entered as a search.
Good Luck.
Will Amazon.co.uk ship to a US address - and if so, is it expensive? I know I had problems gettnig them to mail something to me a while back, but I think it was computer software (so was some issue to do with international trade laws related to software, I think).

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 3rd 2005 at 9:18 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

We have the Cyberhome 300 and the 320 (which cost only $28.88 in the Target Thanksgiving sale + P&P as we had to buy online as they had sold out in our local store. Actually we bought two of them as it also has the UK/US dual voltage - one is going next time my husband is on a trip to London for our student daughter in London. We've had no problems at all with both Cyberhome models playing US and UK DVDs....but our TV sets are quite new so I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

I ordered books and DVDs from England for our kids for Christmas of programmes not available in the US; "League of Gentlemen - Series 3", English football DVDs for our son; "Eat My Goal - Ultimate Football Humiliations", David Seaman presents 'Jeepers Keepers' & Manchester United Season Review 2003-2004 - well I guess there may be a US edition of that one!.

My husband gave me the entire Series 1-5 of 'Cold Feet' for Christmas from Amazon.co.uk... For Christmas 2003 he bought the complete series of Inspector Morse in a boxed case from the UK Amazon site....brilliant and I still have some to watch.

An uncle bought our son "Little Britain" comedy series which we were watching last night....v.good.

There is no problem whatsoever using your US credit card to buy DVDs/CDs/Books or whatever from Amazon's UK site. Best of all anything posted outside the EEC has the VAT deducted, and the p&p charges are very low indeed (approx 4 pounds for a couple of DVDs which arrived in 4 days!). The deduction of VAT effectively covers the postage costs as DVDs are very light in weight!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:48 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Will Amazon.co.uk ship to a US address - and if so, is it expensive? I know I had problems gettnig them to mail something to me a while back, but I think it was computer software (so was some issue to do with international trade laws related to software, I think).
It's the postage that would be different. I believe its GBP 3.08 to mail to the US from Amazon UK. I just got the Series 3 & 4 of" 'Allo 'Allo' from Amazon UK. It arrived in 5 days. Your US credit card will convert at the current exchange rate. Try it. Absolutely painless and so very quick.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:22 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how good it is ordering US DVD's from Amazon.co.uk tho, I placed an order on Dec 16th which still has not got there. Although the 'vibrating love duck' that I ordered for my friend was there in 3 days..........! She hasn't got out the bath since...........
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Not sure how good it is ordering US DVD's from Amazon.co.uk tho, I placed an order on Dec 16th which still has not got there.
You can track the progress of your order on the amazon site....it will show if it has been despatched or not. When you decide to place an order it shows whether or not it will be despatched within 24 hours although in some cases if they need to re-stock it can be 2-3 days (or longer for obscure/arthouse movies). Amazon always sends you an e-mail when the item has been despatched - so if you haven't received one I would definitely check your 'recent orders' on the website.

I guess if you ordered on 16th December here, it would have been 17th December in the UK, literally a week before Christmas....I wouldn't be surprised if they were overwhelmed with late orders at their busiest time of the year. I've honestly been very impressed with the speed of their service from the UK to US (and UK to Singapore when we were living there).
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I guess if you ordered on 16th December here, it would have been 17th December in the UK, literally a week before Christmas....I wouldn't be surprised if they were overwhelmed with late orders at their busiest time of the year. I've honestly been very impressed with the speed of their service from the UK to US (and UK to Singapore when we were living there).
Me too!! Actually, they are particularly speedy just before Xmas. I placed my order and went back to track it immediately and found that it was already in the dispatch process. Like you said, bored silly should check their account status. The process was quite likely incomplete. Only reason I can think of. I have been ordering books on the website for years. Never had a delay or a problem.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:42 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Englishmum
.....I guess if you ordered on 16th December here, it would have been 17th December in the UK, literally a week before Christmas....I wouldn't be surprised if they were overwhelmed with late orders at their busiest time of the year. .....
Yes - Amazon.co.uk was the focus of a post-Crimbo news article in the British press about how online shopping companies dropped the ball over Christmas. The iPod was singled out as one item that people just did not receive until New Year's Eve, even though Amazon promised to deliver by Cjristmas Eve, but the problem applied to shipping in general.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:31 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

If by "drag" you mean the picture keeps going down the screen then I think you do have a PAL/NTSC problem (that's what mine was doing when I had it set to "Auto") - changing the settings should fix this.
No, it doesn't go down the screen or anything. With "drag" I mean more like it slows down for a fraction of the second. It doesn't quite skip, where you miss part of whatever it skipped, but ratehr it slows down. It's very, very brief, but just the tiniest bit noticable. I will still try to check the whole PAL/NTSC thing...haven't gotten around to that yet.