Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Old Nov 13th 2004, 7:49 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Last night at Wal-Mart we bought a "CyberHome CH-DVD 300" DVD player. The cost was $38.76 plus tax. DH just hooked it up to the TV, went online at http://www.dvd365.net/?hacks/hacklist.htm where he selected the appropriate player (DVD 300) and followed the instructions to configure it to multi-region (Code 0), and it's working perfectly ~ plays both our UK and US DVD's!!

Hope this is helpful to someone!
Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:50 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Originally Posted by DDL
Last night at Wal-Mart we bought a "CyberHome CH-DVD 300" DVD player. The cost was $38.76 plus tax. DH just hooked it up to the TV, went online at http://www.dvd365.net/?hacks/hacklist.htm where he selected the appropriate player (DVD 300) and followed the instructions to configure it to multi-region (Code 0), and it's working perfectly ~ plays both our UK and US DVD's!!

huh i though the DVD where already compatable and it was the VHS tapes you had to worry about
Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks interesting, seems as though wallyworld have got another sale.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

They are great. We have three of them and quite a few of our American friends have bought them so they can watch British comedy etc.

They sell them every now and then at Sams Club, Target has the newer version which can also be changed to multi-region apparently and I believe Best Buy stocks them sometimes as well.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:13 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

So it works to hack them? That's awesome, thanks for letting us know! I've sort of been trying to keep an eye out for a DVD player that I can get to play all regions. So no problems or anything? That's awsome, especially considering the price!
Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:26 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
They are great. We have three of them and quite a few of our American friends have bought them so they can watch British comedy etc.

They sell them every now and then at Sams Club, Target has the newer version which can also be changed to multi-region apparently and I believe Best Buy stocks them sometimes as well.
Just a quick additional question...I looked at the Target website and the review for the 320 version is really bad. Two people said that it quit working after 7-12 months. One of them said it scratched up the DVD and started making clicking noises, the other said the fuse blew. Any complaints in that regard?
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:09 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Found a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart that plays UK DVD's

Originally Posted by Steffi
Just a quick additional question...I looked at the Target website and the review for the 320 version is really bad. Two people said that it quit working after 7-12 months. One of them said it scratched up the DVD and started making clicking noises, the other said the fuse blew. Any complaints in that regard?

No complaints yet, but it's only 2 days old. :-) And, as always, good and bad reviews can be found for everything, can't they? The reality is, it IS cheap DVD player and we know this. But at that price, it's easily replaceable.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DDL
No complaints yet, but it's only 2 days old. :-) And, as always, good and bad reviews can be found for everything, can't they? The reality is, it IS cheap DVD player and we know this. But at that price, it's easily replaceable.
We bought a couple six months ago - they were so cheap we got one for the bedroom too. We haven't had a moment's trouble with them.

Except that for some reason neither of them will show Shaun Of The Dead with the subtitles off....bizarre.

The handset hack is simple - Menu, 1,9 - and that's it
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to get a Philips DVD727 from Amazon, it was a refurbished model but if you bought one new it would set you back about $200.

After a hack from the internet it plays UK DVDs.

-tom
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember exactly how long we have had ours. I think we bought them around autumn last year. We haven't had any problems with any of them yet at all. Still, for that price, I wouldn't expect them to last forever.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:23 pm
K1 via London

Originally Posted by DDL
But at that price, it's easily replaceable.
Very true.

Hmmm, so I think I may have to get this DVD player at some point. Thanks again for the tip!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

For $40 who cares if it only lasts a year?!?!

I got one - not the best quality and I like good AV - but cheap and it works, I would recommend it!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:24 pm
K1 via London

As you know I've been interested in this DVD player since you guys all said you didn't have any problems with it. So coincidentally (sp?) one of my coworkers who is from Czech came up to me and asked me if I knew how she could get Czech DVDs to play here. I told her about this DVD player and we decided to give it a go...so she bought the player and I brought in some UK DVDs that I have. At first we had some trouble...after pressing "menu," "1," and "9" no menu came up like it said it would. But she kept pressing the buttons over and over and finally it popped up and we set it to region "0." Then we tried both a region 1 DVD I brought and a region 2 DVD - everything worked! No problem...we were so excited! So now I guess I'm definitely going to have to get out and buy one.
Thanks again guys!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

For those of you looking for this cheap DVD player, Target has a Cyber Home on special offer over Thanksgiving ($28.88). It's actually the DVD 320 model - not sure there's a hack available yet so you might be risking it... still a good deal if you're looking for a cheap DVD player (progressive scan, too)

[Yep, just checked http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...ome+CH-DVD+320 - it's hackable]

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 25th 2004 at 2:10 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, I seem to remember that is exactly the hack I used on the 300, it is also important to point out what one of the people says in the link Dunroving provided, it is important to open then close the tray, not merely have an empty tray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.