Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Forum for US Job Hunters/Networking

View Poll Results: If there were a forum for those members looking for a job/next job in the US...
Would you offer assistance? If so, how? Please post reply.
28.13%
Use the forum to look for jobs for yourself?
65.63%
None of the above. Please describe as a reply.
6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Forum for US Job Hunters/Networking

Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forum for US Job Hunters/Networking

I just want to get feedback/comments on what you think about a forum solely for members looking for work.

Please participate in the poll (see above this post) and include your comments as replies.

Thanks,

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Nov 29th 2004 at 6:02 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:51 pm
Brit'n'TX

Default Re: Forum for US Job Hunters/Networking

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I just want to get feedback/comments on what you think about a forum solely for members looking for work.

Please participate in the poll and include your comments as replies.

Thanks,

NC Penguin
what poll, NCP?

Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
what poll, NCP?
It should be right at the top, above my initial post. Don't you see it?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Nice one, count me in (Obviously) if Patrick doesn't mind !!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

The thought had crossed my mind too.

It's a difficult one, though. I would be reluctant to publicly post a great deal of information because I wouldn't want my friends and colleagues inundated with contacts from people I hadn't screened in real life; those contacts would rapidly dry up if that were the case.

It would be an interesting experiment though to see how it worked out.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a tough one, but any help looking for jobs would be lovely, but wouldn't want to put anyone in a difficult situation by having there contacts bugged to much, especially if not qualified or anything, but might be worth if people have areas of expertise, that could offer general ideas and could be contacted if certain criteria were met.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
The thought had crossed my mind too.

It's a difficult one, though. I would be reluctant to publicly post a great deal of information because I wouldn't want my friends and colleagues inundated with contacts from people I hadn't screened in real life; those contacts would rapidly dry up if that were the case.

It would be an interesting experiment though to see how it worked out.
The way I did it when I tried to help a BE member was as follows:

The spouse heard that there were vacancies (didn't have specific job titles and no adverts were available) going in his company. I asked the Brit if he was interested. He was so I got the BE member to forward my spouse his resume which my spouse forwarded to someone he knew who was hiring.

After that, it was between solely between the Brit and the hiring manager.

I only sounded out the Brit when I knew that a vacancy existed.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I only sounded out the Brit when I knew that a vacancy existed.
Good way of doing it, and every little helps

Couple of people here helped get me into TCE, which was nice, still not been able to get a job through that site either though, but was nice
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Bushranger is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested in helping/getting help. However, in all honesty, I want to build up contacts who could help set up my next job when I return to Europe in a couple of years or help me sell something in the US now .

The main process for this is through personal contacts and this site can;t really help me too much. I would see the value of new community to get info on living costs/property/salaries/professional developmnet/other work related stuff.
Therefore - a wider scope to include "US ex-pat's looking to get work back in the UK' might appeal..
My field is Market Intelligence & Research Sales/IT/Telco. In that field I am aware of companies that are recruiting/have vacancies/opportunities. However, like someone said before, not sure why I'd expose these contacts to people I don't know.
I don't post on this site a great deal but I use it a lot and find it valuable...but I won't recommend anyone for a job just because they use it too.

Perhaps some kind of vertically aligned community like Ex-pats in Healthcare/Ex-pats in IT/Ex-pats in Banking would work - rather that a 'Job-Site' would work for me or others.

My thoughts - hope they help you...
Old Dec 4th 2004, 5:21 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Please participate in the poll (see above this post) and include your comments as replies.
I think this is an EXCELLENT idea. In fact, I just posted about some difficulty Mark is currently having in finding work -- you can read about it in my "Any thoughts on 'deforeignating' one's resume/cover letter??" thread.

Networking is hard enough to do in one's own country -- it's even harder in unfamiliar territory. This could be a great resource for people.

At the same time, it could be just as useful for people who only need to discuss general job-hunting issues or problems related to being a foreigner in the US.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean people whom are here avec visa in hand?
or for the Florida holiday people whom come home to UK and want to live in Florida?
Old Dec 13th 2004, 4:39 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Do you mean people whom are here avec visa in hand?
or for the Florida holiday people whom come home to UK and want to live in Florida?
Good point. There's a huge difference between helping someone who's here with the ability to work, or has been working here but lost eligibility or job; and helping someone emigrate.

I'd be willing to help in that I know a fair amount about the job markets in general and which fields tend to be more "Brit-friendly" than others. There are also some jobs with an appreciable difference in salary; some would have their salary fall if they came here, others would have it rise. And a few would find there's no work comparable to that which they did back home.