Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Form I-864 (Affidavit of support)

Form I-864 (Affidavit of support)

Old Nov 16th 2001, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

manouelian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody!

I have a rather specific question to ask. I am applying for Family Based Green Card. I am a brother of an US citizen.

Form I-864 (Affidavit of support), Part 4, Item #4 says:

"Number of persons who are otherwise dependent on you, as claimed in your tax return for the most recent tax year."- This question addresses the sponsor (my sister). She (my sister) has two kids and a husband. In item #1, which says: "Number of persons living in your residence, including yourself." she has already written 4 (four). That includes the husband along with the kids in the list. If she is to add 2(two) more for the kids in Item #4, she is going to end up with 6 people overall, the number of people that she doesn't have at home.

What number should she provide in Item #4?

And: How long does it take for the whole thing to gets issued?

I am looking forward to your reply! Thank you.
Old Nov 19th 2001, 3:10 pm
Shelley

I checked the I-864 that I filled out for my husband to see what I had put their.
Question 4 is asking if there is anyone else who is dependent on your sister - such
as an elderly parent, another sponsored immigrant, etc. She should put "0" for #4.
How long your AOS will take depends on where it is filed - can be six months to 3
years. This website will give you some timelines
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 13th 2001, 6:11 pm
Queen

Hi, I know that since you're a sibling of a US citizen, when they file the I-130, you
have to first wait till a number is available, now there is a backlog of
unfortunately at least 6 years, some say 10yrs. Its only after there is a number
available can your whole application process continue. It might be best for you to
try an employer based one, because you might be waiting for a while. Also children
and spouses, and parents don't need to wait for a number, theirs is automatically
issued, and usually get theirs anywhere from 2 months--3yrs

manouelian <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >