British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Foreing DL with Non Immigrant Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/foreing-dl-non-immigrant-visa-829355/)

Ricky_85 Mar 22nd 2014 10:28 pm

Foreing DL with Non Immigrant Visa

Hi there!
I would like to know if it's mandatory (and if yes which is the latitude) to apply for a US driving license on a Non Immigrant Visa (J, F, H1B etc.)

If I have one of these visas and I just rent a car with my foreing DL, how does it work out?

Thanks folks!

md95065 Mar 22nd 2014 10:50 pm

Re: Foreing DL with Non Immigrant Visa

Originally Posted by Ricky_85 (Post 11185976)
Hi there!
I would like to know if it's mandatory (and if yes which is the latitude) to apply for a US driving license on a Non Immigrant Visa (J, F, H1B etc.)

Different rules in every state.

Most states require that once you become resident in that state (once again, every state has their own definition of what that means and it has nothing to do with your immigration status) you are required to get a state driver's license with a certain (usually quite short) period of time.

Ricky_85 Mar 22nd 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks.
For example I just read California gives just 10 days...

I'm just wondering if the law applies even when renting a car and using their insurance....

civilservant Mar 22nd 2014 11:46 pm

Since the law applies to the license only, yes it does.

Your DL will be valid only for the duration of your status.

Ricky_85 Mar 23rd 2014 8:53 am

Thanks!
I just took a mock test on the DMV site and the questions are absurdly easy.
The one thing I don't understand is why this burocratic mess if I already passed an driving exam in my home country (especially Europe).

So in the future, in case I will have a non immigrant visa and I drive with a foreign DL when I should apply for a American DL, will I get in trouble insurance-wise?

Thanks!

Steve_ Mar 24th 2014 4:32 pm

The answer to your question is yes, and the reason you have to take the test again (if you do) is because the road rules in that State are almost certainly different from where you've come from, but the other reason why is because US States don't have much in the way of reciprocal agreements with foreign countries.

They recognize the Canadian provincial tests under bilateral agreements with Canadian provinces. Usually. Some States don't even recognize the tests given in other States.

(and learn to spell "foreign")

Hotscot Mar 24th 2014 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11188418)
(and learn to spell "foreign")

I was actually curious about that...

Pulaski Mar 24th 2014 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11188418)
.... (and learn to spell "foreign")

And "bureaucratic". :nod:

BTW. Get your local license ASAP, but you might not manage it within the very short time allowed. Until then use your foreign licence but be ready to show that you have taken steps to get a local license, and you're unlikely to have a problem. Certainly a car rental agency shouldn't have a problem with a foreign licence.

Ricky_85 May 19th 2014 6:12 am

Well Steve, I just read your post now.
Anyone should understand that if you write in a hurry you can mispell 'foreign' with 'foreing' just as 'write' with 'wirte', for example.
It's not a matter of proficiency or a lack thereof.

But we digress!

rebs May 19th 2014 7:45 am

Until I opened the thread, I assumed the title was a misspelling of 'forging' :rofl:

robin1234 May 19th 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11188538)
And "bureaucratic". :nod:

OP is using Chicago Tribune and Simplified Spelling Society spelling of bureaucracy. So he's done his due diligence.

Sally Redux May 19th 2014 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ricky_85 (Post 11186410)
Thanks!
I just took a mock test on the DMV site and the questions are absurdly easy.
The one thing I don't understand is why this burocratic mess if I already passed an driving exam in my home country (especially Europe).

So in the future, in case I will have a non immigrant visa and I drive with a foreign DL when I should apply for a American DL, will I get in trouble insurance-wise?

Thanks!

As I was told in no uncertain terms when asking why UK vaccination records were not acceptable to the school: "You're in the state of California now!"