Reload this Page >

Foreing DL with Non Immigrant Visa

Foreing DL with Non Immigrant Visa

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreing DL with Non Immigrant Visa

Hi there!
I would like to know if it's mandatory (and if yes which is the latitude) to apply for a US driving license on a Non Immigrant Visa (J, F, H1B etc.)

If I have one of these visas and I just rent a car with my foreing DL, how does it work out?

Thanks folks!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreing DL with Non Immigrant Visa

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
Hi there!
I would like to know if it's mandatory (and if yes which is the latitude) to apply for a US driving license on a Non Immigrant Visa (J, F, H1B etc.)
Different rules in every state.

Most states require that once you become resident in that state (once again, every state has their own definition of what that means and it has nothing to do with your immigration status) you are required to get a state driver's license with a certain (usually quite short) period of time.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.
For example I just read California gives just 10 days...

I'm just wondering if the law applies even when renting a car and using their insurance....
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Since the law applies to the license only, yes it does.

Your DL will be valid only for the duration of your status.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks!
I just took a mock test on the DMV site and the questions are absurdly easy.
The one thing I don't understand is why this burocratic mess if I already passed an driving exam in my home country (especially Europe).

So in the future, in case I will have a non immigrant visa and I drive with a foreign DL when I should apply for a American DL, will I get in trouble insurance-wise?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to your question is yes, and the reason you have to take the test again (if you do) is because the road rules in that State are almost certainly different from where you've come from, but the other reason why is because US States don't have much in the way of reciprocal agreements with foreign countries.

They recognize the Canadian provincial tests under bilateral agreements with Canadian provinces. Usually. Some States don't even recognize the tests given in other States.

(and learn to spell "foreign")
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
(and learn to spell "foreign")
I was actually curious about that...
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
.... (and learn to spell "foreign")
And "bureaucratic".

BTW. Get your local license ASAP, but you might not manage it within the very short time allowed. Until then use your foreign licence but be ready to show that you have taken steps to get a local license, and you're unlikely to have a problem. Certainly a car rental agency shouldn't have a problem with a foreign licence.
Old May 19th 2014, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Well Steve, I just read your post now.
Anyone should understand that if you write in a hurry you can mispell 'foreign' with 'foreing' just as 'write' with 'wirte', for example.
It's not a matter of proficiency or a lack thereof.

But we digress!

Last edited by Ricky_85; May 19th 2014 at 6:22 am.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Until I opened the thread, I assumed the title was a misspelling of 'forging'
Old May 19th 2014, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And "bureaucratic".
OP is using Chicago Tribune and Simplified Spelling Society spelling of bureaucracy. So he's done his due diligence.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
Thanks!
I just took a mock test on the DMV site and the questions are absurdly easy.
The one thing I don't understand is why this burocratic mess if I already passed an driving exam in my home country (especially Europe).

So in the future, in case I will have a non immigrant visa and I drive with a foreign DL when I should apply for a American DL, will I get in trouble insurance-wise?

Thanks!
As I was told in no uncertain terms when asking why UK vaccination records were not acceptable to the school: "You're in the state of California now!"