Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Foreign rental income & Depreciation

Foreign rental income & Depreciation

Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

eli573 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign rental income & Depreciation

How does one accurately establish the value of a UK property for the purposes of depreciation, when calculating net foreign rental income? Until now I had thought the depreciation was based on the purchase price. After further reading, I now to understand we can only depreciate the value of the building itself?

I would like to know how one depreciates the value of
i) a leasehold flat (condo) within an appartment building.
ii) a freehold property (a terraced house)

thanks!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:05 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign rental income & Depreciation

Honestly, this is why I use a CPA. If you have multiple rental properties in the UK it's probably worth the fee to have someone professionally advise you the best way to file your return.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:29 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

KPMG advised me to look at an estimate to rebuild from a buildings insurance policy.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

sergeyvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eli573
How does one accurately establish the value of a UK property for the purposes of depreciation, when calculating net foreign rental income? Until now I had thought the depreciation was based on the purchase price. After further reading, I now to understand we can only depreciate the value of the building itself?

I would like to know how one depreciates the value of
i) a leasehold flat (condo) within an appartment building.
ii) a freehold property (a terraced house)

thanks!
If I'm correct, depreciation is taken into account for overseas houses not older than 27 (40?) years. That's what I read and H&R block told me. Then IRS assume that the house is completely worn (true for US cardboard homes ). Not sure it works for victorian properties