Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ford explorer...

Wikiposts

Ford explorer...

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:30 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ford explorer...

Originally posted by jaytee
There should be coolant in it. Almost all of the time, the radiator should not draw from the reserve coolant and it should not usually need to be topped up (unless you're driving through a desert). If you have to keep filling up the empty reserve then obviously there is a problem. Look for hairline cracks in the radiator since they are plastic these days. When revving the engine (up to a good 4000rpm at least), look for the radiator to spurt/trickle coolant out of a hairline crack. The radiator fan may also blow it up onto the bonnet/hood underside or it may pool and drip down. Check the hoses.
Bloody ell Jaytee.... now you've made me all doubtfull again.

I don't have the car with me at the moment, they only lent it to me for 24 hours.

I honestly couldn't see any leaks anywhere, I checked around the water pump, oil dipstick etc, and the temp gauge stayed normal the whole time I drove it, but it was pretty hot here in Texas for a while (100 deg for 2 months), so maybe some of it just evaporated.

I take it for another test drive after work, and check it once more!

The poor sales chap is almost in tears, Mrs Yosser is beyond embarresment and won't even get out of her car when I'm haggling....He didn't know what to do when he told me the asking price, only for me to reply.......howmuch******ellyougottabejokingmeolds on! Arthur Daley would be proud
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you actually put any coolant in the reservoir ? does it use what you place in it quickly ?

If not then it's probably just a case of needing coolant, if the level in the radiator is constant then it's probably just a case of topping it up. Bear in mind that fluids do and should be checked weekly on any vehicle as you know, and coolants do often require topping off even if you don't drive through many deserts.

If you do get the chance to take it out again, get Arfur to top it off and when you get back see if there is any variation in levels.

Rob
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:05 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robclews
Have you actually put any coolant in the reservoir ? does it use what you place in it quickly ?

If not then it's probably just a case of needing coolant, if the level in the radiator is constant then it's probably just a case of topping it up. Bear in mind that fluids do and should be checked weekly on any vehicle as you know, and coolants do often require topping off even if you don't drive through many deserts.

If you do get the chance to take it out again, get Arfur to top it off and when you get back see if there is any variation in levels.

Rob
Cheers Rob, (and everyone else for their ideas/comments)

I shall be experimenting tonight.