Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good Banks in NY

Good Banks in NY

Old Sep 30th 2003, 2:39 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Good Banks in NY

So, with the possibility of a second interview and a permanent post looming, I figure it's about time I go about getting a checking account, so my hard earned has somewhere to stay.

I know I won't find anything here that can even compare to my UK HSBC account (Read: free, free, free, eBanking, $2000 int free O.D), but I've been looking at Wachovia and Washington Mutual. Both provide free checking, free Visa Debit card, with no monthly fees, and free ATM withdrawls within Manhattan, which is where I'll likely be working, so that's good.

Has anyone had any experiences with either bank?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has a WM checking account and the service seems excellent compared with my Citibank account. Thinking of using WM for mortgage as they are more sympathetic to INS status etc.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:09 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Unreleated to bank stuff, but I just got a call back; they want me to come in for a second interview tommorow! Woohoo
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nathan barley
Unreleated to bank stuff, but I just got a call back; they want me to come in for a second interview tommorow! Woohoo

Great stuff!! Well done! and good luck tomorrow

About the Banks- we were with First Union for years and they merged with Wachovia a while back- and they've been fine-no trouble. My online banking went down $3 a month after the merge, but other service was the same...no charges etc. I find them very accessible too- plenty of ATMS around.

Just noticed the title of the thread, I'm talking about Florida of course.

Last edited by Taffyles; Sep 30th 2003 at 11:49 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:39 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Heard lots of good things about WM,

One word of warning I know a lot of people with Fleet all they seem to do is slag it off, so you might want to give them a miss.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 3:42 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend Commerce Bank. A lot of people I know swear by them, not least because they're open on Saturdays and Sundays, and the staff are very good. They are rapidly picking up a lot of market share in the TriState area, and across the rest of the East Coast I believe.

Not that I'm a financial expert or anything, but they have been good for me.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 3:55 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

American Express has a good deal. Especially of you keep 100K in the account!
I guess I will have to stay with BoA - they've been good.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:39 pm
Corpsicle

O.T to the thread, but I got the job! Woot!
I start monday, and ironically enough, I'll be assisting people in finding work
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nathan

Congratulations on the job. I know you have been looking and so pleased that you have something.

Will you be working in Manhattan proper? Or the on the Island?

Rete
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:00 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done mate - good luck in the Big Apple. I'll think of you when I'm in at the weekend.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:22 pm
Corpsicle

Originally posted by Rete
Nathan

Congratulations on the job. I know you have been looking and so pleased that you have something.

Will you be working in Manhattan proper? Or the on the Island?

Rete
I'll be in midtown, 1 block from the UN, so whenever there's a delegation in town, its going to be a nightmare to get to it
I'm totally stoked, but really nervous about starting at the same time, naturally.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be in midtown, 1 block from the UN, so whenever there's a delegation in town, its going to be a nightmare to get to it
I'm totally stoked, but really nervous about starting at the same time, naturally.

I hear you. I'm not far from you. Near the Waldorf and last week was a bummer because of the Conference on World Terror. Foot naviagation meant going around barricades and wading through police personnel, command center and secret service agents. Plus they closed down the 47/Park entrance tunnel to Grand Central for security reasons.

Rete
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:57 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Nathan! Really pleased for you