Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

football video tapes and dvds usa/uk

football video tapes and dvds usa/uk

Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

smudger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default football video tapes and dvds usa/uk

Help required with video tapes and dvds...what is the simplest way to get uk video tapes of football matches played on usa tv sets.is it possible to tape maches in uk and send over to watch on usa sets

or is it possible to play uk dvds on usa machines....or take uk machines over to play on usa systems the permutations odfdifferant power lines on tv etc is driving me mad...ive send discs of fottball and tapes over but no joy

over agin soon and thinking of bringing uk miulti region dvd player with me...or is there such a beast in the usa.....did try ps2 conversion but cannot find one in usa

am i going round in circles

sure someone has been here before and solved it..like to get sorted as back in memphis in 8 weeks
smudger
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: football video tapes and dvds usa/uk

[Video's are an issue, generally there isn't a cheap solution to playing UK video formats in the USA and visa versa. There are convertors but the cost in my opinion is prohibitive.

DVD's are easier, sadly even though your UK DVD player is multi region there is a conflict between the Pal and NFTS TV's and it is unlikely that it will work in the US. I purchased a multi format any tv DVD player for just over $100 and it works just fine here with all my UK DVD's.

Rob
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Rob

So best to buy a usa multi region dvd player in the usa mm may try at duty free or wal mart when over.....sound an easy option then just post dvds over to states .
Have one in uk for usa dvds....and taping games and sending over seems a no go only other option take over cheap £1oo tv with video in built and and then use there.....mmm but then can you get tx to convert 110 to 240 alas the plot thickens

thanks for help
smudger
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by smudger
Cheers Rob

So best to buy a usa multi region dvd player in the usa mm may try at duty free or wal mart when over.....sound an easy option then just post dvds over to states .
Have one in uk for usa dvds....and taping games and sending over seems a no go only other option take over cheap £1oo tv with video in built and and then use there.....mmm but then can you get tx to convert 110 to 240 alas the plot thickens

thanks for help
smudger

I doubt you will get one in Walmart or any other major electrical retailer but try the following link, it gives the spec and where you can get it online.

http://www.welectronics.com/dvd/pion...PO612DVD.SHTML

Rob
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Rob

will try to get...hey lucky you living over there spend all my spare money and time hopping over take care
thank you
graham
Old Sep 25th 2003, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smudger
Cheers Rob

thanks for help
smudger

wrong wrong wrong.. do you have $300 to spend? If so, get the CMD-850 converter.. problems solved. for dvd, obviously a multi-region dvd player is the best choice

http://www.world-import.com/cmd-comments.htm

I took about 15 of my 8mm Sony camcorder tapes of relatives (very precious as time goes by and some are deceased) and fed them through this onto a British VCR.
Now my relatives are getting precious and irreplaceable footage on regular VHS in PAL format.

" " " " "
Uses for this excellent converter:

The CMD-850 Video Converter delivers high-quality converted pictures, exceptional super-stable synchronism and superior color separation. It is ideal for tape conversion, DVD players, digital camcorders, video editing & capture, multi-system VCR and multimedia applications.

Tape conversion: You can exchange tapes with friends or relatives living abroad, or for business and education. PAL VCR is required to do this.

TVs: Take your NTSC American TV overseas or bring your PAL or SECAM TV to the USA. Using the high quality conversion quality of the CMD-850 to convert TV signals you can use any PAL or NTSC TV to view any type of broadcast signal in the world. Eliminating the need to buy a new multi-system TV set. Local TV tuner like a VCR, Cable Box or Satellite Receiver is required. Read more here....

International travel and relocation: You can use your video equipment with it while traveling or relocating to a country using a different TV system. You can install it on ships, planes and for many industrial and business applications.

Camcorders: Use your PAL camcorder in the USA or your NTSC camcorder overseas on a PAL TV. You can also convert movies from your camcorder. For example: Make a NTSC tape from a PAL camcorder using the CMD-850 to convert the signal.

Excellent features list:
Blows away all other video converter brands like Emerson, Samar USA, Tenlab and more! The best video converter in the market today! Read customer feedback here
Compare leading models
Use your PAL equipment in a NTSC country and NTSC equipment in a PAL country
Very easy to use
There is no need for your TV to have a vertical hold as required by some Emerson models.
Real time conversion with no video or audio lag
Uses a standard AV or S-Video connection to convert any input signal to any specified output signal
Crisp and clear converted pictures with S-Video input/output
Compatible with ALL Mono, Hi-Fi Stereo, Dolby Digital and DTS equipment.
Auto/Manual switch to select between S-Video and Composite inputs
Stand-alone and stylish compact design excellent for portable application also
System condition memory. Converter remembers settings and returns to same input and output settings when turned back on
LED Lamp shows current input and output video signal
No need to hook and unhook multiple components. Auto selection between S-Video and Composite signals. This means you can connect a DVD player and a VCR to the CMD-850 at the same time. The unit will automatically select the 'live' signal.
ON / Off Toggle switch
Detects input manually or automatically between: All Pal, All SECAM, All NTSC systems
Made from the best American and Japanese parts
1 Year replacement! No waiting for repairs. If your unit gets a problem we replace it within 12 months. No questions asked!
Disables Macrovision and makes VCR signals VCR friendly and DVD recorder friendly:

As an extra benefit the CMD-850 overrides Macrovision for crystal clear copies of copy guard protected VHS tapes. Lets you convert your original VHS tapes to VHS or DVD even without signal conversion. The unit will also let you make DVD to DVD recordings if you are converting between PAL and NTSC. World Gift Center does not sell or promote this item for any illegal use. Any duplication of copyright protected media is a violation of copyright laws.
Convert signals from:

PAL to NTSC
NTSC to PAL
SECAM to PAL
SECAM to NTSC
Output or Input is selectable between:
NTSC 3.58 or 4.43 (USA, Canada, Mexico and Japan)
PAL (For PAL B/G, D/K, I - Secam D/K, B/G, K1 Countries)
Pal M or Pal N (for Argentina, Brazil and other parts of South America)
Secam (Input only)
Excellent conversion characteristics such as:
Fully digital decoding and encoding
Ultra fast 12 Megabytes video field memory is the highest available in the market today
The latest digital signal processing circuitry along with 12 Mbytes memory eliminates artifacts in the converted image
Memory speed 50 Mhz
Static resolution: up to 500 lines
Dynamic resolution: up to 500 Lines
4 Field conversion of NTSC signals
8 Field conversion of PAL signals
Built in automatic gain control (A.G.C) function ensures 1 Vp-p output signal which optimizes the video output signal assuring best image quality
Digital Line (525 <-> 625 Lines) and 50<->60 field conversions
Built-in Time Base Correction (T.B.C) for signal synchronization
Includes easy set-up instructions, 2 S-Video cables and 2 video cables
Limitations:
This item does not work with scart signals.
This is only a video converter. It cannot play tapes. For example, to play Pal tapes you need a Pal VCR and this video converter. Read more about video or DVD conversion here....
Unit Specifications:

Dimension: 230mm(W) x 130mm(D) x 30mm(H)
Weight: 380g
World Wide Power supply. UL approved 100-240 50/60 Hz auto switching power supply for use anywhere in the world.

" " " " "

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 25th 2003 at 3:55 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:07 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy an XBOX...mine will play anything, UK, U.S DVD'S...not too good for tapes granted.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by tony_2003
Buy an XBOX...mine will play anything, UK, U.S DVD'S...not too good for tapes granted.
Did the Xbox just play anything straight away or did you have to do something fancy to it? Is it an Xbox bought here or back in the UK?

My husband has been wanting one for a while - if it will play my UK DVD's easy enough I'll get him one straight away!!

Thanks
Lindsey
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by robclews
I doubt you will get one in Walmart or any other major electrical retailer but try the following link, it gives the spec and where you can get it online.

http://www.welectronics.com/dvd/pion...PO612DVD.SHTML

Rob
Hi Rob

Do you know if this DVD player will play DVD-R or +R?

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:35 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lins77
Did the Xbox just play anything straight away or did you have to do something fancy to it? Is it an Xbox bought here or back in the UK?

My husband has been wanting one for a while - if it will play my UK DVD's easy enough I'll get him one straight away!!

Thanks
Lindsey
The box was adjusted...I dunno if they play UK DVD's without doing this though...the xbox was bought here in the U.S.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:24 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get vcrs that play any format on any format, try http://www.world-import.com/vcr.htm

I got the Samsung SV-5000W

Perfect picture.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:25 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get vcrs that play any format on any format, try http://www.world-import.com/vcr.htm

I got the Samsung SV-5000W - Perfect picture.

As for DVD players, I would venture to suggest that 2 minutes of google browsing would give you multi-region hack for any player you buy, before you buy an expensive model.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

tweakr is an unknown quantity at this point

Multi-region hacks are the easy part for DVD players, however there's still the video standard problem. Like people said above you can buy a convertor and get great results, I've heard this is the best option. Manufacturers like Apex (I think that's the name) in America sell DVD players that have a PAL to NTSC conversion chip inside them so the picture will be viewable on a normal US TV.

The alternative option is to buy a DVD-ROM drive for your PC, there's programs to remove the region locking available online (DVD Region Killer is one). Since the DVDs are played through your monitor, no need to worry about PAL and NTSC.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:52 am
Get em out by Friday

I actually tried 2 DVD players, one of them was an Apex which promised to play my PAL discs, they didnt work for some reason...may have needed a hack or something as well though.
I'd be intrested in knowing if anyone has purchased an Apex and got it working.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by smiler125
Hi Rob

Do you know if this DVD player will play DVD-R or +R?

Thanks

Yes it does no problem.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.