Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food shopping - hints and tips?

Food shopping - hints and tips?

Old May 10th 2016, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

ButtonandLoops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Food shopping - hints and tips?

Hello, this may seem like a really dumb question, so I apologise now if it is, but does anyone have any advice for food shopping when it comes to fruits and veg as well as meat?

I landed in Florida two months ago and the three shopping trips I've taken so far have resulted in almost total mental breakdowns over why I can't seem to pick my own carrots and mushrooms (they seem to come pre-packaged), why fruits and veg seems to go bad so very quickly here and why everyone seems so freaked out about antibiotics in meats - I've never heard of such a thing back home and don't know if I'm just plain ignorant or if it isn't a problem in the UK?

Can someone give me some advice on if I'm just shopping in the wrong place (Publix) or any tips on buying food (or what not to buy?) over here so I don't break down and cry in the store?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 10th 2016, 8:19 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food shopping - hints and tips?

My mother in law lives in South West Florida and I have friends over in West Palm. I'm actually down here at the minute vising them. Publix is a rip off, try Winn Dixie which has far more choice but is a lot cheaper.

Your comment about pre packaging doesn't ring true of shops in general in America, if anything fruits and veggies are one thing that is pre packaged less here than in the UK. Fresh chillies are a good a example of this, numerous types are available to be hand picked in shops here, in the UK they are packed in little plastic bags. There are also numerous types of fresh tomatoes here you wouldn't find in UK supermarkets. And don't forget to try the Florida orange, the best in the world. Most of the world's orange juice is made from these.

Food doesn't last as long here, I agree about that. I'm not sure what is it but you can't eat food past its use by date, most things will go bad on that actual date like clockwork. I suspect it's related to what they do or don't do to maintain the shelf life of food, whatever it is they must do more of it in the UK

As for antibiotics in meat, it's a fact of life here and makes meat a lot cheaper than the UK which I personally think is a good thing. If it bothers you, buy organic. There's plenty of farmers markets in Florida, expensive but you'll find great organic food there. There's also chain supermarkets Trader Joes and Whole Foods, both sell mostly organic produce if you don't mind paying an arm and leg, though there aren't as many of these down in Florida versus where I live in Chicago
Old May 10th 2016, 8:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper

Your comment about pre packaging doesn't ring true of shops in general in America, if anything fruits and veggies are one thing that is pre packaged less here than in the UK. Fresh chillies are a good a example of this, numerous types are available to be hand picked in shops here, in the UK they are packed in little plastic bags. There are also numerous types of fresh tomatoes here you wouldn't find in UK supermarkets. And don't forget to try the Florida orange, the best in the world. Most of the world's orange juice is made from these.
It's regional. They pre-package the shit out of stuff around me.

As for fresh stuff lasting, a lot of it will be regional too and seasonal. Stuff grown locally, within a couple of states tend to last longer and be fresher, especially when in season compared to the stuff brought up here from Florida or California, where it's basically tasteless, but grown to look good and be large and shiny. Strawberries, apples, tomatoes etc are prime examples.

Worth looking out for local markets. Some are really expensive, but some, especially the smaller farm stands can be very reasonable.

Got a Wegmans? They're a pretty decent grocery chain for healthy stuff not costing to much. Trader Joe's is another option. Wholefoods, while good, tends to be well over priced.
Old May 10th 2016, 9:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We usually have both available in the same store -- for instance, the pre-packaged carrots and the fresh ones with the tops still on. OP, you should look for a local farmers market for your produce. It will be more expensive than the supermarket, but usually they have great stuff.
Old May 11th 2016, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Costco (imported British cheese, organic goods) and Trader Joe's (other tasty imported European goods, EUR/AUS/ZA/Latin American wines and organic foods - owner is the owner of ALDI) will be your saviour! As for vegetables and fruits, I find that the Latino supermarkets are much cheaper and better and also allow you to 'pick your own'. But this is in California .... I guess there are plenty of Latino supermercados in Florida too?

PS has anyone ever found a cucumber that's crunchy? Every one I have had has been on the soggy side.
Old May 11th 2016, 2:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert

PS has anyone ever found a cucumber that's crunchy? Every one I have had has been on the soggy side.
Yeah, sometimes at Trader Joe's. Our local farm stand does too, which doesn't help you much. Wegman's usually have decent crisp ones in the summer. Also the Korean grocery store, they usually have them nice and fresh. They're a small chain, H-Mart, but not sure if they're as far out as the west coast, mostly around the east coast I think.
Old May 11th 2016, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

It took me a long time to do our shopping I would walk round and around looking for things that just weren't ever gonna be there.

I avoid meat with Antibiotics or that looks far to big compared with UK sizes I get it from Sam's Club (not sure if you have it) for best value for money and that's where we do the bulk of our shopping (it still cost significantly more)

Overall I'm really happy with the fruits here the mangos and strawberries. I'm careful to check where fruits come from though as I've had dodgy peaches, nectarines and plums from Peru & Mexico
Old May 11th 2016, 3:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Up here in the north carrots and mushrooms are also prepacked. But then we have many local farmers markets that we can use to purchase fresh produce.

If you go to Publix they should have a section with organically grown veggies and then you can pick and chose what you want. Bit more expensive but if it means that much to you, then it is well worth it.

Try to find a Whole Foods in your area. Great produce but again more expensive.

Believe it or not, Walmart has a lot of produce such as carrots and mushrooms that are not prepackaged.

My sister in Ft. Myers gets much of her produce at the Flea Market. They have a huge farmers market so you can get your produce and meats there.

Do you have your refrigerator set properly on the veggie bins? That will help keep them longer.

Also since you only seem to shop once every two or more weeks, perhaps you might want to rethink buy your produce on a weekly basis.

Last edited by Rete; May 11th 2016 at 3:19 am.
Old May 11th 2016, 3:51 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Costco (imported British cheese, organic goods) and Trader Joe's (other tasty imported European goods, EUR/AUS/ZA/Latin American wines and organic foods - owner is the owner of ALDI) will be your saviour! As for vegetables and fruits, I find that the Latino supermarkets are much cheaper and better and also allow you to 'pick your own'. But this is in California .... I guess there are plenty of Latino supermercados in Florida too?

+1 for the mercados. You can fill a cart with produce there for $30.

Also, I've come to prefer the stubby little cucumbers the mexicans so.
Old May 11th 2016, 4:27 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I use a farm delivery service for most of my fruit and veg these days. It's a little more expensive, but it's organic, local and much fresher than anything in the supermarkets. It's limited to what's in season, though. We also have a weekly farmers' market downtown: again, in season produce only. I buy the bulk of my produce from them and only use the supermarkets when I desperately need something I can't get from either of those two sources.

I think the reason stuff doesn't last as long over here is nothing more nor less than the fact that they overstock so horrendously. Sure, the produce section looks good, but it means that things are on the shelves far longer than they really should be and are often past their best before they're sold. Soft onions, mouldy strawberries, potatoes that are already sprouting...

Not sure if you have them in Florida, but the best supermarket out this way is Trader Joe's, by a long shot. Much cheaper, better quality and they have a lot of nice items that aren't carried anywhere else. They also do seasonal special items that are worth trying if you see them - e.g. Chocolate Babka, Danish Kringle. Their Mediterranean hummus is the best I've had over here, and they do some great cheeses. Also... affordable pate, which is like gold dust in the US

Edited to add:

Shopping was a horrible experience for me for a long time after I moved here. I could not get over the fact that Americans gush over how much "choice" they have, whereas from my point of view the choice is actually in the brand (e.g. 17 different brands of granulated sugar), not the product - there's a lot more actual variety of products in supermarkets in the UK. You'll also find that you end up visiting a lot of different supermarkets to get everything you want. Hang in there - you'll get used to it

If you have a Cost Plus World Market, check it out - I've found that things like vanilla pods are an absolute ton cheaper there than anywhere else (and they also stock some British chocolate and biscuits!)

Last edited by Wintersong; May 11th 2016 at 4:56 am.
Old May 11th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get most of my fresh groceries, ie milk, meat, fruit and veg in a weekly visit to my nearest Whole Foods. I was fortunate in that it was only a couple of miles from where i used to live.

They may be expensive, but I had very little waste and so in terms of what I used it was better value than the "cheaper" Kroger. I also preferred my milk without hormones, meat without antibiotics etc.

Regarding antibiotics in meat, they are used as growth promoters in "factory" farming rather than to actually keep the animals healthy - the dose is below that you'd give for killing bacteria. The practice has been phased out in Europe, which is probably why it's not been an issue for you before. As you've seen its going strong in the US.

So the concerns are several:
  • It's a sign of factory farmed meat, so not even welfare friendly let alone approaching organic
  • The sub-therapeutic dose is thought to contribute to the spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria in both animals and humans
  • there is a potential for residual amounts of the antibiotics to be present in the meat when you eat it. In itself, that wouldn't worry me as the levels should be low but it might be if you are concerned about sensitization

FYi pharma companies have to show how long a veterinary drug takes to clear from the muscle of animals in the human food chain. However, it relies on farmers sticking to those timings and any controls in place in the food chain to check. Up to you whether you trust the meat chain here any more than in the US!!
Old May 11th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

For your 'crunchy' cucumber needs stick with Costco, they sell 'British' cucumbers, yes they are labeled like that! You will have to buy 4 but they are crunchy and remain crunchy!! That tip came from my yank wife.
Old May 11th 2016, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
For your 'crunchy' cucumber needs stick with Costco, they sell 'British' cucumbers, yes they are labeled like that! You will have to buy 4 but they are crunchy and remain crunchy!! That tip came from my yank wife.
I've seen them here as "European" cucumbers. Never tried them. You guys make them sound like they could be used to make pickles.
Old May 11th 2016, 3:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Wintersong
If you have a Cost Plus World Market, check it out - I've found that things like vanilla pods are an absolute ton cheaper there than anywhere else...
I've found home brew shops are a good place to go for things like that. My local, can get 10 pods for $12, which gets 2 in most other grocery stores around here.

The other herbs and spices, ethnic grocery stores are the way to go.

Definitely makes grocery shopping a bit more of a chore if you want to find quality stuff in affordable prices though.
Old May 11th 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Can somebody tell me exactly what I'd need to say to a butcher for them to cut me some english-style bacon? We have a large market here where they will do any cut that you ask for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.