Reload this Page >

Food Conversion

Food Conversion

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food Conversion

Originally Posted by oshel
Not too much, I hope - she must be quite lopsidded!!

I think its previous breast feeder thing :scared: left is always bigger than right I hear
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:58 pm
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I think its previous breast feeder thing :scared: left is always bigger than right I hear
Nice! I'll stay away from that one
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Eskimo, we know what side of the bed you sleep on

I can't believe you folk don't use the American cup system. It is as easy as pie! Fiddling with scales, etc..blah!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:27 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Eskimo, we know what side of the bed you sleep on

I can't believe you folk don't use the American cup system. It is as easy as pie! Fiddling with scales, etc..blah!
It's not as accurate though. Apart from the fact that, as someone pointed out, you don't know whether to pack it tightly or loosely, there is also the fact that you can only really measure 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 etc. With scales, you can measure accurately to (depending on the scales obviously) the nearest gram.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
It's not as accurate though. Apart from the fact that, as someone pointed out, you don't know whether to pack it tightly or loosely, there is also the fact that you can only really measure 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 etc. With scales, you can measure accurately to (depending on the scales obviously) the nearest gram.

A lot of US recipes especially in magazines don't even use measurements. It's 1 packet of this, 1 jar of that and 1 can of the other . Mix and layer, shove in the oven and voila a completely home made meal.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:36 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
A lot of US recipes especially in magazines don't even use measurements. It's 1 packet of this, 1 jar of that and 1 can of the other . Mix and layer, shove in the oven and voila a completely home made meal.
Sounds like my style of cooking - bung it in and hope for the best

Trouble is, if you try that with a victoria sponge, you could have a bit of a mess on your hands!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like my style of cooking - bung it in and hope for the best

Trouble is, if you try that with a victoria sponge, you could have a bit of a mess on your hands!
I still remember the Victoria Sponge recipe from school. However many eggs you use double the amount in ounces for sugar, butter and SR flour. I love Victoria Sponge cake and always use the recipe for making fairy buns. In fact I think I'll make some this weekend with my daughter.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:04 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

I still remember the Victoria Sponge recipe from school. However many eggs you use double the amount in ounces for sugar, butter and SR flour. I love Victoria Sponge cake and always use the recipe for making fairy buns. In fact I think I'll make some this weekend with my daughter.
Are they like butterfly cakes, where you cut the top off and cut it in half then stick it back in to look like wings?

I used to have loads of fun cooking with my Mum. Melting moments and peanut butter cookies were our favourites, if I remember rightly!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are they like butterfly cakes, where you cut the top off and cut it in half then stick it back in to look like wings?

I used to have loads of fun cooking with my Mum. Melting moments and peanut butter cookies were our favourites, if I remember rightly!
I call all little buns fairy cakes and I will be making butterfly cakes with buttercream this weekend. I also used to love helping my Mum in the kitchen.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:33 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. Our first breakfast together (ahhhh!) I made pancakes - my man was amazed that I made them with flour, eggs, milk etc and not with a packet mix! Ha ha!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:35 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I call all little buns fairy cakes and I will be making butterfly cakes with buttercream this weekend. I also used to love helping my Mum in the kitchen.
My mum always insisted on making a fruit cake with my daughter when ever we went to visit. It's one of the lasting memories my daughter has of her Grandma now she's gone.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:42 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
My mum always insisted on making a fruit cake with my daughter when ever we went to visit. It's one of the lasting memories my daughter has of her Grandma now she's gone.
I'd love to have the recipe of a good fruit cake - I just can't seem to find one.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

NeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud of

Google has a useful conversion tool, doesn't work with cups to grams but is fine with most other measures - liquids, temperatures, weights, etc. Use the "in" tool.

eg. "2 cups in millilitres"
produces the result "2 US cups = 473.176475 millilitres"
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

If I have a UK recipe I use scales to measure.
If I have a US recipe I use cups.
I tried converting some in the past and had many failures. As stated before... A cup of flour compared to a cup of sugar converted into weight wont work unless I spend ages measuring the cups of ingredients and weighing them so I know the conversion... Not worth it.

As far as how much to put in the cup.. Pour the ingredient in and then lightly shake it to level it... easy....

Oh and Deliah is wonderful by the way....
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oshel
I've decided to do a bit of cooking and on looking for recipes have found some interesting ones which are American and require cups of this and that - does anyone know of a chart off the web that lists the conversion into grams? I've looked and you have to enter 1 cup at a time, I just want to print off a chart rather than looking it up each time.

Ta
I bought measuring cups when I was in the UK, but I can't remember where I bought them from (sorry). I have found a link for measuring spoons and cups for you though!

http://www.cookshops.com/Product_Det...idxProduct=192

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.