Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Wikiposts

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Old Feb 18th 2005, 11:03 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by fatman
I bought a crunchie in an English theme bar the other day, cost me two dollars but tasted soooo good.
I was in Manhattan yesterday for business and took the opportunity to go to a British store there that sells all the usual goodies and also has "English" bacon, their own Cumberland sausages, chipolatas, cornish pasties, sausage rolls, pork pies etc. While not as good as stuff in the UK it's all still worth it. I'm not sure but I think their chocolate is cheaper than $2.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
I read something that high fructose corn syrup was really bad for your body and it promoted excessive weight gain, more so than sugar because there was some molecule in it that tells your liver to store as fat the energy rather than using it.

I bought a crunchie in an English theme bar the other day, cost me two dollars but tasted soooo good.
Yup. HFCS is linked to obesity and can lead to diabetes. See-
http://fatnews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/608/

and the abstract from the following journal article studies HFCS and obesity:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/79/4/537#ABS

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

DaxUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
I discovered that the Cadburys Fruit & Nut I buy at Walgreens tastes fab! Never have looked to see where it was made, but it's the real deal! Hard to get tho!
Walgreens and most mainstream US outlets generally sell the pseudo-Cadbury products made by Hershey's. The products made my Hershey's are made to a significantly different recipe than Cadbury's products in the UK. At this time of year you can find Cadbury's creme eggs in US stores and they are genuine UK products, probably because Hershey's don't want to tool up to make a seasonal product. The Cadbury products in Canada are different again and are generally made in Canada. Lastly, grey market imports are often found in Cost Plus, World Market etc. and these products tend to be from South Africa at the present time.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

DaxUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tony126
Steak sauce is just not the same as Daddies or HP.
HP have had a thin "Steak Sauce" available in the US for some time. In Canada on the other hand, you can get a range of thicker, Canadian made HP sauces including original and fruity. Recently I have seen original HP turning up in some US supermarkets so it looks as if that is being made available for speciality dealers and is sometimes ending up on supermarket shelves.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Bob

Havent found Uncle Bens in Houston, or McCains micro chips (boo hoo)

PD
I found Pattaks Chicken Korma suace and some other Pattaks indian sauces, popadoms and spices at the World Market in Houston (FM1960)

No luck yet with Microchips - The US microwave chips are not as good (I used to enjoy a box of microchips after staggering home from the pub)
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Murray
I found Pattaks Chicken Korma suace and some other Pattaks indian sauces, popadoms and spices at the World Market in Houston (FM1960)

No luck yet with Microchips - The US microwave chips are not as good (I used to enjoy a box of microchips after staggering home from the pub)
Aye, I've seen the pattaks stuff, handy those now and again. But I am surprised that the microwave foods haven't cottoned on over here, it is the coach potato nation and all that
Old Feb 18th 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Patrick
did you have to join under another name just to pretend to be shocked! If you are going to pretend to be someone else at least change your style of writing, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon when you use the same expressions and spelling?

Uninteresting and without imagination, tragic
"Join under a different name"??Now what the boody hell are you on about ?? From the short period of time that I have been on this forum, I must say that you have made a lot of enemies rather than friends . PS here is my email-just in case you think i am someone else.
<<email address removed>> in Portland oregon and bloody proud to be an ex-pat and now us citizen.

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 20th 2005 at 6:32 am.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough

I used to go down to the local pub and buy all the goodies ,i.e. Mushy peas, baked beans, Twirl, Turkish delights etc up until 2 years ago but now that Cost Plus has arrived, i reckon that is the best place for a lot of the original British Food items.Does anyone know where i can get Hp Curry sauce and jamaica Ginger cake here in the states ???I am salivating just thinking about Jamaica Ginger cake )))))
Old Feb 19th 2005, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by niksha
"Join under a different name"??Now what the boody hell are you on about ?? From the short period of time that I have been on this forum, I must say that you have made a lot of enemies rather than friends . PS here is my email-just in case you think i am someone else.
<<email address removed>> in Portland oregon and bloody proud to be an ex-pat and now us citizen.
Maybe you should edit your post to remove your email address - or you may get a lot (more) spam emails!

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 20th 2005 at 6:32 am.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 2:58 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go down to the local pub and buy all the goodies ,i.e. Mushy peas, baked beans, Twirl, Turkish delights etc up until 2 years ago but now that Cost Plus has arrived, i reckon that is the best place for a lot of the original British Food items.Does anyone know where i can get Hp Curry sauce and jamaica Ginger cake here in the states ???I am salivating just thinking about Jamaica Ginger cake )))))
I got some of that HP curry sauce last week in my local import store, makes a great change on your burger instead of ketchup. I'm in CA, have no idea where you are?
Old Feb 19th 2005, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tomelina
I got some of that HP curry sauce last week in my local import store, makes a great change on your burger instead of ketchup. I'm in CA, have no idea where you are?
U lucky bugger))I am in Portland oregon mate and i made a request into CostPlus, but never heard back from them. That reminds me, i think i am out of Twirls, so off to Costplus i go))))
Old Feb 19th 2005, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

U lucky bugger))I am in Portland oregon mate and i made a request into CostPlus, but never heard back from them. That reminds me, i think i am out of Twirls, so off to Costplus i go))))
If you ever take a trip up here to Seattle there is a great British store that has quite a few odds and ends. Its actually in Redmond and its called British Pantry. They do an English breakfast on the weekends, but like their fish and chips, its a bit pricey. Next time I'm in, I'll see if they have Jamaica Ginger Cakes. I know they have HP sauce and they have Turkish Delight.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird...I've seen smarties around some place over here...
Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:56 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by John Murray

Oh thanks for that

Shall be heading up there next week then

Ta ta

PD

Old Feb 19th 2005, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

The FDA are completely crazy - a few months ago they raided our local British Shop and confiscated a whole bunch of products, including (according to the owners) stuff with the word 'flavour' written on it, because a) the spelling was different to the American 'flavor' and b) they couldn't tell the difference between artificial and natural flavours in products, because the label wording is different to that in the USA.....I think it all got sorted out in the end, although the owners were completely pi**ed off because they took half their stock!

....as for beef products, we can still get British beef gravy powders, but I don't think they can stock the Fray Bentos tinned steak & kidney pies and puddings anymore. The whole beef/mad cow thing is a total mess-up. I went to donate blood after 911 and was told that I couldn't be a donor because I was British and might have Mad Cow Disease....

Paint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.