British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Flying via SFO - Connecting Flight - United (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/flying-via-sfo-connecting-flight-united-594275/)

msi geek Feb 26th 2009 10:44 pm

Flying via SFO - Connecting Flight - United

I have a two hour gap at SFO before I take the United 's connected flight to Seattle.

How is the SFO as an airport? Immigration and Customs for non-US citizens

Are there separate belts for separate airlines for rechecking baggage after exiting through customs?

Is a two hour gap between flights sufficient? Does baggage accompany the passenger and is left behind for a successive flight due to time constraints?

Norri Feb 26th 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Flying via SFO - Connecting Flight - United

I've never been to SFO but have travelled a lot, I wouldn't get in a sweat with 2hrs layover.
I would almost guarantee you will coast through :)

Chrissywissy100 Feb 26th 2009 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 7327335)
I have a two hour gap at SFO before I take the United 's connected flight to Seattle.

Are there separate belts for separate airlines for rechecking baggage after exiting through customs?

Is a two hour gap between flights sufficient? Does baggage accompany the passenger and is left behind for a successive flight due to time constraints?

where are you coming in from? I've never transfered through SFO, but as far as customs and immigration then baggage goes (when picking up in arrivals of course), I've always been through and out of the terminal inside an hour. You should have no problems with a 2 hour lay over. Not much to do in the extra hour wait mind you. couple of shops and places to eat thats about it. international and internal flights are in different terminals, so youll need to take a shuttle maybe? Website below gives you an overview of the airport and will probably answer your questions better than I can!:)
http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/orpha...dep/index.html

msi geek Feb 27th 2009 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100 (Post 7327470)
where are you coming in from? I've never transfered through SFO, but as far as customs and immigration then baggage goes (when picking up in arrivals of course), I've always been through and out of the terminal inside an hour. You should have no problems with a 2 hour lay over. Not much to do in the extra hour wait mind you. couple of shops and places to eat thats about it. international and internal flights are in different terminals, so youll need to take a shuttle maybe? Website below gives you an overview of the airport and will probably answer your questions better than I can!:)
http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/orpha...dep/index.html

Coming in from Auckland to SFO on Air NZ - touchdown at 11:30 AM and connecting UA flight to Seattle at 01:45 PM

Will I get thru immi and customs in an hour or so?

SFO, being a busy airport, may long queues at immi counters and customs check. Also, sfo can have foggy mornings delaying landings.

Is United efficient at loading baggage in short time spans?

Chrissywissy100 Feb 27th 2009 12:29 am

Cant speak for United baggage handlers from personal expereince but my sister landed and was out of terminal from united flight from LHR to SFO in 45 mins so you shouldnt have a problem. Yes sure, SFO can be busy at immigration and customs, but no-where near what heathrows like, and they are pretty efficient. Its a pretty small airport by US standards I think, and everything is pretty close together too.

It may take you a little longer if your flight lands at the same time as one or two from asia, but really shoud should be fine to catch your next flight. I really dont think youll have a problem getting through immigration customs and baggage inside an hour, and then checking onto your UA flight with time to spare.

As for fog, well you just cant tell. SFO fog is very unpredictable. If its foggy enough to delay landings then its also foggy enough to delay take offs so itll be OK I imagine.

I presume you have your visa's etc all sorted etc. The only delay you may have if your paperwork isnt correct and you get sent to secondary!!

Norri Feb 27th 2009 12:43 am

Don't panic, United is a partner with Air NZ so you will be checked right through, don't worry about the bags, 99% of the time they will make it if they don't they will come tomorrow.
If you get delayed at immigration you won't need to wait for your bags to show up on the belt they will be cruising round waiting for you.

2 hrs is plenty trust me, I'm a doctor!

meauxna Feb 27th 2009 12:58 am

If you are not using a visa (ie travel on the Visa Waiver Program) don't forget the new electronic clearance you'll need.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583018

fatbrit Feb 27th 2009 12:59 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 7327335)

You don't mention your status on entry. If you're arriving with, say, an immigrant visa, then it will require a trip to secondary and you should budget accordingly.

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 27th 2009 1:35 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 7327535)
Coming in from Auckland to SFO on Air NZ - touchdown at 11:30 AM and connecting UA flight to Seattle at 01:45 PM

SFO, being a busy airport, may long queues at immi counters and customs check. Also, sfo can have foggy mornings delaying landings.

If it's helpful - I was nervous about my connection time when Air New Zealand switched flight times on me - called them up and they booked me on a different flight.

Michael Feb 27th 2009 1:45 am

11:30am through 1:45pm is not rush hour at SFO so you shouldn't have any problems. In fact it is probably going to be pretty dead at that time so you should fly right through.

Folinskyinla Feb 27th 2009 5:48 am

Originally Posted by msi geek (Post 7327535)

Hi:

I have never arrived on an international flight into SFO since I live in L.A. So can't comment on their CBP station and baggage handling. 1:45 pm might be a good time though extrapolating from LAX -- the morning rush from Asia will have ended and the evening rush from Europe will yet to have started.

You don't say who booked your ticket -- but you might have some flexibility if you miss your flight up to SeaTac. There are several later flights on UA up north and if you are willing to stop in Portland OR, even more. I see that both ANZ and United are part of the Star Alliance -- so I note that US Air [also a part of the Star Alliance] has SFO-SeaTac flights.

As for morning fog at SFO -- I used to live in San Francisco while in Law School and have flown in many times in the 30 years since -- that is something I would NOT worry about. Where SFO is located simply doesn't experience fog. If you are landing during a winter storm, that may be a different issue, but then the flight up to Seattle will be delayed to.

msi geek Feb 27th 2009 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 7327749)
11:30am through 1:45pm is not rush hour at SFO so you shouldn't have any problems. In fact it is probably going to be pretty dead at that time so you should fly right through.

Thanks for your reply.

So, what is the rush hour at SFO?

11:30 AM morning March - Is it usually foggy at SFO?

msi geek Feb 27th 2009 6:05 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7327647)
You don't mention your status on entry. If you're arriving with, say, an immigrant visa, then it will require a trip to secondary and you should budget accordingly.

I have a 10 year multiple entry B1/B2 Non-immigrant visa. I have been to US only once before - almost 10 years ago.

Will I need a trip to the secondary at Immigration?

msi geek Feb 27th 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 7328146)
Hi:

I have never arrived on an international flight into SFO since I live in L.A. So can't comment on their CBP station and baggage handling. 1:45 pm might be a good time though extrapolating from LAX -- the morning rush from Asia will have ended and the evening rush from Europe will yet to have started.

You don't say who booked your ticket -- but you might have some flexibility if you miss your flight up to SeaTac. There are several later flights on UA up north and if you are willing to stop in Portland OR, even more. I see that both ANZ and United are part of the Star Alliance -- so I note that US Air [also a part of the Star Alliance] has SFO-SeaTac flights.

As for morning fog at SFO -- I used to live in San Francisco while in Law School and have flown in many times in the 30 years since -- that is something I would NOT worry about. Where SFO is located simply doesn't experience fog. If you are landing during a winter storm, that may be a different issue, but then the flight up to Seattle will be delayed to.

Those picture postcards showing golden gate bridge hidden in fog have earned SFO a foggy reputation.

msi geek Feb 27th 2009 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 7327613)
Don't panic, United is a partner with Air NZ so you will be checked right through, don't worry about the bags, 99% of the time they will make it if they don't they will come tomorrow.
If you get delayed at immigration you won't need to wait for your bags to show up on the belt they will be cruising round waiting for you.

2 hrs is plenty trust me, I'm a doctor!

Is there, usually, a long queue at US Customs

Do they X-ray scan each bag for every passenger or just collect the customs declaration form and waive most passengers off.