Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA Information Clearinghouse Thread

ESTA Information Clearinghouse Thread

Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default ESTA Information Clearinghouse Thread

Incoming Message from the Big Giant Head:
January 9, 2009
Electronic System of Travel Authorization (ESTA)

Beginning Monday, travelers under the Visa Waiver Program will be required to obtain an Electronic System of Travel Authorization (ESTA) in order to visit the United States. This means that any national or citizen seeking to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program from one of its 35 participating countries must first go on-line and register for an ESTA. Once approved, the traveler will be authorized to visit our country for up to 90 days for business or tourism without first having to obtain a visa.

Why is ESTA necessary? For starters, it is one of the key security elements of our expanded Visa Waiver Program and an essential tool for identifying potentially high-risk travelers ahead of time. By requiring travelers to register on-line before their journey, ESTA gives authorities more time to screen for threats and ensure that a traveler isn’t a known security risk. ESTA also helps us determine, in advance of travel, whether an individual is eligible for travel under the Visa Waiver Program. This is important because it saves travelers the time, expense, and hassle of flying to the United States only to find out that they are inadmissible under the Visa Waiver Program.

ESTA is quick, easy, and free. In most cases, it provides an almost immediate determination of eligibility for travel. Since its inception, more than one million people have successfully used the system without any problem.

Moreover, each approved ESTA application is generally valid for a period of two years and allows for multiple visits to the United States within that period. ESTA involves no new data collection. All information required for an ESTA application is already collected on the I-94W arrival and departure form that Visa Waiver Program travelers currently provide. And any information submitted through the ESTA website is subject to the same strict controls for similar traveler screening programs governed by U.S. laws and regulations.

Visitors may apply for travel authorization via the ESTA website. If a traveler fails to obtain an ESTA, he or she may be denied boarding, experience delayed processing, or be denied admission to the United States. Travelers who currently have a valid visa for travel to the U.S. are not required to apply for an ESTA.

Michael Chertoff

On a typical day, CBP welcomes more than 1.1 million international travelers into the United States at land, air and sea ports. CBP officers use the latest technologies and procedures to assure that travelers from throughout the world are processed rapidly while assuring that individuals who have ties to terrorism or a criminal background are barred from entry.

ESTA Information from Customs & Border Protection

Apply for Electronic Travel Authorization Now:
Required as of Jan. 12 International visitors to the U.S. from Visa Waiver Program countries may now apply for travel authorization online. The tool is easy to use, free of charge and available in 16 languages.
For Accessibility Information: [email protected]

- Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) Advisory Statement
- 01/05/2009

- Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) Advisory Statement - pdf versionpdf - 70 KB.

- Important Information About ESTA
- Visa Waiver Program Expansion 11/17/2008
- ESTA News Releases 11/17/2008

Go straight to the ESTA application page.

Apply for an Authorization to Travel to the United States

Select this option if:
# You are a citizen or eligible national of a Visa Waiver Program country.
# You are currently not in possession of a visitor's visa.
# Your travel is for 90 days or less.
# You plan to travel to the United States for business or pleasure

Last edited by meauxna; Jan 13th 2009 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA Information Clearinghouse Thread

Visitors may apply for travel authorization via the ESTA website. If a traveler fails to obtain an ESTA, he or she may be denied boarding, experience delayed processing, or be denied admission to the United States. Travelers who currently have a valid visa for travel to the U.S. are not required to apply for an ESTA.
That seems to imply officially that the registration 72hr in advance rule has been eased.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
That seems to imply officially that the registration 72hr in advance rule has been eased.
Still looking too?

As with all of these things, of course they have to have a soft deadline.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Still looking too?
Not anymore
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:18 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

So, do we still need to fill in an I94-W as well. Is the ESTA only an authorisation to travel to the US in the first place?

Also I've applied for, and got one, without specific airline information on it. Do I need to go online and update it before every flight to the US?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
So, do we still need to fill in an I94-W as well. Is the ESTA only an authorisation to travel to the US in the first place?

Also I've applied for, and got one, without specific airline information on it. Do I need to go online and update it before every flight to the US?
Hi:

The I-94W requirement remains in place. The ESTA registration is somewhat like the visa -- which has always been only authorization to come to the Port of Entry and apply for admission [and concomitant authorization for the common carrier to board the applicant].

Also, like a visa, it is not carrier specific.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:49 pm

thanks for the tip fatbrit.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the tip fatbrit.
You're welcome!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:00 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Ok smartypantses - let's see if you can help with this one.

I am in South Africa, and have a job offer in the US - no visa yet, but it's in the system. Before we decide, we have been invited to the US in a couple of weeks for a familiarisation visit for a week - so we have to complete this thing online. No problem there.

But - what do we declare as a reason for travel? Technically it's a holiday - but I don't know if this will affect a visa application down the line. I can't think it will but would appreciate some assistance.

The 2nd (potentially bigger) question - Me, my wife and daughter all have UK passports. My 1 year old son only has a South African passport - the UK one is taking it's time and probably won't be here in time for travel (a week on Tuesday). SA isn't on the VWP list - so what do we do with him? My employer in the US seems to think that as he's an infant it will be fine but I don't want to take the chance.

Help...!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ededed
Ok smartypantses - let's see if you can help with this one.

I am in South Africa, and have a job offer in the US - no visa yet, but it's in the system. Before we decide, we have been invited to the US in a couple of weeks for a familiarisation visit for a week - so we have to complete this thing online. No problem there.

But - what do we declare as a reason for travel? Technically it's a holiday - but I don't know if this will affect a visa application down the line. I can't think it will but would appreciate some assistance.

The 2nd (potentially bigger) question - Me, my wife and daughter all have UK passports. My 1 year old son only has a South African passport - the UK one is taking it's time and probably won't be here in time for travel (a week on Tuesday). SA isn't on the VWP list - so what do we do with him? My employer in the US seems to think that as he's an infant it will be fine but I don't want to take the chance.

Help...!
Your reason for visiting is holiday, tourism, travel, whatever. You can look up the definitions of a b-2 visa if you want to get technical, but the ESTA clearance is good for 2 years, multiple trips, so I dont' think you need to be specific.

The 2nd one is more serious. You should post a new separate thread about that to make sure everything is OK before you leave. I disagree with your employer.. children can no longer travel 'on' their parents' passport.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:26 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Your reason for visiting is holiday, tourism, travel, whatever. You can look up the definitions of a b-2 visa if you want to get technical, but the ESTA clearance is good for 2 years, multiple trips, so I dont' think you need to be specific.

The 2nd one is more serious. You should post a new separate thread about that to make sure everything is OK before you leave. I disagree with your employer.. children can no longer travel 'on' their parents' passport.
Thanks - my views as well.

The baby has his own (South African) passport - my employer was suggesting that as the parents (us) are on British ones, and the kid was unlikely to be seeking employment they would let him in without a visa on his South African pp. I guess the point they were making was they would relax the rules for a baby - but I'm not so sure. I'll post a new thread - but appreciate the response. Cheers.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This is your problem. AFAIK, he needs a B2 visa. And getting one before a week Tuesday is not going to be easy.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This is your problem. AFAIK, he needs a B2 visa. And getting one before a week Tuesday is not going to be easy.
Bugger. I was afraid someone would say that but would rather know in advance - thanks. Leaving him at JFK with some cash in his babygrow might be the only solution then? I'm sure he'll be ok for a week....

Appreciate the quick response. Panic mode ensues.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Bugger. I was afraid someone would say that but would rather know in advance - thanks. Leaving him at JFK with some cash in his babygrow might be the only solution then? I'm sure he'll be ok for a week....

Hi:

How would you get the little tyke to JFK in the first place with an unvisaed South African passport. Curious minds would like to know.

[Without a proper passport from a VW country, the lack of the visa prevents boarding at point of origin. The airline faces a pretty hefty fine if they make a mistake].
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:06 pm
Septicity

I don't think you'll actually get to board the plane in SA with him unless he has either a British passport or a B2 in his SA one. Airlines get fined for dumping passengers in the US without the correct documents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.