Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying To US on Sunday. What should we expect?

Flying To US on Sunday. What should we expect?

Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

JewelsC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying To US on Sunday. What should we expect?

Hi again!

My baby son and I are flying to Louisville KY (Via Chicago) on Sunday 15th July. I would just like to know what to expect?

what do I need to fill in on the plane?

I will have 5 suitcases of our clothes and other random items(+1 car seat & 1 stroller) do I have to declare anything?

DO they search bags there or at final destination?

I have a 2 hour layover at Chicago will this be cutting it fine?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying To US on Sunday. What should we expect?

Just so we don't have to go look up your past threads....what visa are you coming to the USA on? Or is this a VWP trip?

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

It's a CR-1 (Our son has an American passport)
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

I shall be handing over the mysterious white envelope etc
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Scattered thunderstorms and 88 degrees - much cooler than it has been.
Originally Posted by JewelsC
My baby son and I are flying to Louisville KY (Via Chicago) on Sunday 15th July. I would just like to know what to expect?
A customs declaration form.
Yes
I will have 5 suitcases of our clothes and other random items(+1 car seat & 1 stroller) do I have to declare anything?
If "there" is Chicago, yes. If they do a search of your bags. They may not.
Maybe, maybe not. Chicago can be busy, or not. Long distance incoming flights can be late, or early.
Regards, JEff
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As JEff said, a customs declaration form. The flight attendant will hand these out prior to landing.

When you read the customs declaration form, it will let you know if you need to declare anything.

Your bags may or may not be searched in Chicago. When my fiance and I flew back to the USA from Turkey (using his K-1 visa), customs searched 3 out of our 4 suitcases. No idea why they skipped the 4th one.

It all depends how many people are ahead of you in line, how fast the line moves, how fast you get through immigration, and how far away your connecting gate is.

If you miss your connecting flight because of immigration delays, the airline should be able to put you on the next connecting flight out.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

when i flew into washington dulles,on 30tgh june, filled customs declaration form in,also at dulles it only took about 25 minutes or so very efficient and fast,dulles staff told me to use the us citizen line.

after i collected my luggage i had to put them through an xray machine,no physical opening and checking.

hope its the same for you in chicago

above all enjoy the experiance and dont expect a welcome to america everyone seems miserable and probably had a long day.