Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying home with my baby

Flying home with my baby

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all
Default Flying home with my baby

I am flying home next Saturday with my 6 month daughter to see my family. My husband is unable to come with us as he started a new job a few months back and doesn't have enough time off yet. Anyway, here's my question: would I have to have a notarized letter to say that my husband 'agrees' that I am taking our daughter with me to visit my family in Ireland and that it is my intention to return to the USA????? Of course I intend to return but in this day and age with child kidnapping, should I get such a letter??? We're gonna be in Ireland for 2 weeks.
I have been a permanent resident since 2001.

-------
Choppi
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying home with my baby

Originally Posted by choppi
should I get such a letter??? We're gonna be in Ireland for 2 weeks.
It can't hurt to have the letter can it? and if you're really worried about it, get it notarized too just to be on the safe side.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Is your husband American? I think it's only neccassary if your spouse is a USC. I know a couple of my friends have had one, just in case, but never needed to show them, so be on the safe side and get one Have a lovely trip home.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
Is your husband American? I think it's only neccassary if your spouse is a USC. I know a couple of my friends have had one, just in case, but never needed to show them, so be on the safe side and get one Have a lovely trip home.

My wife got stopped and was asked for a letter when she was comming back into the US with our two kids. We had been on hols in the UK and i had to return two weeks ahead of them 'cos of work.

We are both UK Citizens - kids are UK Citizens. I was on L1A, wife and kids on dependant visas.

No - it doesnt just apply to USC's.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:31 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am flying home next Saturday with my 6 month daughter to see my family. My husband is unable to come with us as he started a new job a few months back and doesn't have enough time off yet. Anyway, here's my question: would I have to have a notarized letter to say that my husband 'agrees' that I am taking our daughter with me to visit my family in Ireland and that it is my intention to return to the USA????? Of course I intend to return but in this day and age with child kidnapping, should I get such a letter??? We're gonna be in Ireland for 2 weeks.

-------
Choppi
I got one last time I went home with our youngest in 2004. They asked at the gate for the letter.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from a trip home with my son, hubby stayed here. I travelled on my British passport & my son on his US passport. I took the letter, just to be safe, but was never asked for it. I say take one, it only takes a few minutes to do it & could save you a world of trouble.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
My wife got stopped and was asked for a letter when she was comming back into the US with our two kids. We had been on hols in the UK and i had to return two weeks ahead of them 'cos of work.

We are both UK Citizens - kids are UK Citizens. I was on L1A, wife and kids on dependant visas.

No - it doesnt just apply to USC's.
Yeah, I was stopped on the way back in and asked for it a few years ago. Didn't make sense to me....on the way out, fair enough. On the way back
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:06 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

-------
Choppi

I've always carried one but never been asked for it. I prefer to have one with me just in case though.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:06 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to England next Saturday with our daughter. Last time we went over there without hubby, we had a letter, but weren't asked for it. Hubby dropped us off, though, and was with us when we checked in.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:36 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

-------
Choppi
My 11 year old daughter needed such a letter last summer in Chicago to go abroad...which she found out at the airport checking in. Thankfully she caught me at work on a Saturday where I could draft and print the letter, and my local bank notarised and faxed it to her at the gate.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know about this letter thing until the last minuet of going back, Hub's was out to Sea by then, anyway was never asked either way, my main worry was I'm still waiting for my 10 year GC so all I had was my stamp in my passport, coming back here Immigration did seem a bit miffed with only the stamp, then I also showed my Military ID and he just said I'll let you go for now then otherwise we would have to fill out all sorts of paper work
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies. Would anyone who had a letter in the past, could you send me a draft?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Would anyone who had a letter in the past, could you send me a draft?

Thanks in advance.
Just keep it simple, for example -

My wife, *your name* & daughter, *daughters name*, are travelling to England for *amount of time*. They are departing on *date* & returning on *date*. I am fully aware of their travel plans. I give permission for my wife to leave the country with our daughter. I can be contacted at any time on *phone number*.

Signed & dated by your husband.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

We allways take Seth (my stepson) when we go, he even has a different name to ours, we always carry a custody agreement incase but have never been asked for anything.
But as the baby is a USC with a UK mother you will probably be asked for something. Even a birth certificate would help.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a million PartyStar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.