Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying to Florida

Flying to Florida

Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:14 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying to Florida

As always, you lot are my go-to team for advice on travel.

So we're going to Florida in January. My parents (in the UK) own a time-share type delio, and they've booked us in for a week in a luxury resort in Kissamme, FL. We're staying in an two-bedroom condo and taking my in-laws with us (because they like to spoil my son rotten and will probably end up paying for nearly all the food ). I'm looking forward to escaping the Wisconsin weather during the winter, even if the Flordia weather isn't that warm.

So we just have to think about booking flights, because everything else will be taken care of... which leads me to my questions.

1) Southwest Airlines, anyone? They don't do child tickets online, but their web prices seem reasonable and I've heard good reviews. Has anyone tried booking adult tickets online and been able to purchase a child ticket by calling customer services (so two different transactions), or would I have to book all the fares by phone and therefore not get the web price?

2) When we land we'll need to take a taxi to the resort. Should I bother bringing a car seat for Little O? He's two. Is it worth trying to use it on the flight, or should I just not bother with the whole thing?

3) For people who've been to (or live in) Florida at that time of year, what's it like? Will the big amusement parks be open? What's the weather like? Can I go to the Harry Potter stuff at Universal Studios?

Thanks all!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to Florida

Originally Posted by Gingerert

So we're going to Florida in January. My parents (in the UK) own a time-share type delio, and they've booked us in for a week in a luxury resort in Kissamme, FL. We're staying in an two-bedroom condo and taking my in-laws with us (because they like to spoil my son rotten and will probably end up paying for nearly all the food ). I'm looking forward to escaping the Wisconsin weather during the winter, even if the Flordia weather isn't that warm.

So we just have to think about booking flights, because everything else will be taken care of... which leads me to my questions.

1) Southwest Airlines, anyone? They don't do child tickets online, but their web prices seem reasonable and I've heard good reviews. Has anyone tried booking adult tickets online and been able to purchase a child ticket by calling customer services (so two different transactions), or would I have to book all the fares by phone and therefore not get the web price?

2) When we land we'll need to take a taxi to the resort. Should I bother bringing a car seat for Little O? He's two. Is it worth trying to use it on the flight, or should I just not bother with the whole thing?

3) For people who've been to (or live in) Florida at that time of year, what's it like? Will the big amusement parks be open? What's the weather like? Can I go to the Harry Potter stuff at Universal Studios?

Thanks all!
Most child flight prices are the same as adult prices, just the taxes are less. I don't think SouthWest do any reduction at all, which is why you don't see it on the website, I'd just book all 3 on the web.

Take the car seat and check it, we do this all the time, there is no extra charge and it just comes out on the conveyor with all the cases.

The amusement parks are open all year round, they just stay open later (midnight) in the summer months. January is a great time to go as it is quieter and the lines shorter
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all!
When we lived in the UK we spent several Christmas/New Year in the Sunshine State. Normally the weather was lovely...apart from an odd cool day here and there. The last time it was bloody freezing the whole 2 weeks. I mean 2 jumpers, an insulated leather coat, gloves and trousers freezing.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:00 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

My sister lives in Orlando (and my parents too for the winter months), and we've been down to visit in December/January a few times. Usually sunny, temperatures have varied a bit. Even though the natives are wearing jeans we've felt comfortable in shorts most days. Even managed a dip in the pool a few times although this was more out of bloody-mindedness more than warm-enough temperatures.

Popped into the Disney parks here and there - they were fairly lively (Christmas is a popular time to go) but perhaps January would be a bit quieter.

Oh - and get on the Flyertalk bandwagon for next time - no-one pays for flights these days!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:45 pm
Kevin Burke

UK_US_Attorney is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Florida 5 years before moving to the UK and agree with the above posters. The winters were my favourite season as I finally could wear trousers and sweaters -- and coats. If you're tough or come from a cold climate you may not mind it being cooler and may want to wear shorts but you'll stand out as a tourist. Like all seasons, some winters are warmer and some colder or wetter. At least they're generally always brighter, warmer and dryer than here in the UK.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK_US_Attorney
I lived in Florida 5 years before moving to the UK and agree with the above posters. The winters were my favourite season as I finally could wear trousers and sweaters -- and coats. If you're tough or come from a cold climate you may not mind it being cooler and may want to wear shorts but you'll stand out as a tourist. Like all seasons, some winters are warmer and some colder or wetter. At least they're generally always brighter, warmer and dryer than here in the UK.
it was like that when we went to Turkey in January. The locals were wearing scarves and jackets etc and we were strolling round in tshirts - was much warmer than blighty!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:49 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! I don't really wear shorts and sleeveless shirts anyway, so I think trousers in January WITHOUT boots, coat and scarf will work really well.

Booking flights tomorrow with the in-laws.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:52 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

My HO is in Florida so I get to visit quite often I do remember last year mid Dec it was so cold in Orlando none of the locals could believe it everyone was going out and buying sweaters.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone! I don't really wear shorts and sleeveless shirts anyway, so I think trousers in January WITHOUT boots, coat and scarf will work really well.

Booking flights tomorrow with the in-laws.
Excellent! Have a great trip..

When we lived in the UK and the children were little, we spent almost every January in Florida (sometimes Christmas and New Year too.). As others have mentioned, the weather is usually very pleasant and it is a great time to visit Disneyworld etc.! No queues (well, never more than five minutes or so.)
Old Aug 21st 2011, 5:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
it was like that when we went to Turkey in January. The locals were wearing scarves and jackets etc and we were strolling round in tshirts - was much warmer than blighty!
I went to Istanbul in February once, and it was snowing, sleeting, hailing, bitterly cold. Coming from Arizona, I never felt warm a single day I was there, I was bundled up in layers, too, and still felt freezing. lol

Rene