Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying flags

Flying flags

Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying flags

I want to fly an Earth Flag, but am unsure whether this would go against US flag etiquette. I have read the etiquette re flying the American flag, and it states that no other national or international flag should be flown in place of or above or given more prominence than the American flag.
Hmmmmm!!!! Does anyone here fly any flag, does anyone know of an Earth Flag being flown instead of the American one? Thanks.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying flags

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I want to fly an Earth Flag, but am unsure whether this would go against US flag etiquette. I have read the etiquette re flying the American flag, and it states that no other national or international flag should be flown in place of or above or given more prominence than the American flag.
Hmmmmm!!!! Does anyone here fly any flag, does anyone know of an Earth Flag being flown instead of the American one? Thanks.
you can fly any flag you want on it's own.

however it if it is flown with the US flag, there is a certain etiquette to follow.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in a city, check with the city (even their website, if they have one) for ordinances about what flags you can fly.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
you can fly any flag you want on it's own.

however it if it is flown with the US flag, there is a certain etiquette to follow.

I didn't realise this... we are just in the process of buying and i was going to fly the UK and the US flags together. Shouldn't i do this then?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

our neighbours fly a Winnie the Poo flag - I wouldnt be too concerned (but then we do live in CA)
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScyLarc
Shouldn't i do this then?
yes you can
2 rules to follow though

a) the UK flag should not be flown above the USA flag
b) The UK flag should not be bigger in dimensions than the USA flag
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScyLarc
I didn't realise this... we are just in the process of buying and i was going to fly the UK and the US flags together. Shouldn't i do this then?
technically, you should have the US above the others, and also raise and lower with the sun, unless they are lit up, but most people don't bother with that last bit...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=ScyLarc]I didn't realise this... we are just in the process of buying and i was going to fly the UK and the US flags together. Shouldn't i do this then?[/QUOTE

If you type "US flag etiquette" into Google , skyLarc you'll find the full list of "rules".
As I understand it
you would need two flagpoles for the UK and US flags. It would not be right to fly the UK one underneath the US one as it would be an insult - this is done only in times of war to show defeat of a country.

Thanks Manc and NC Penguin. I live in a small town, and doubt they have any local rules, but will check. I'm tempted to go ahead and fly the Earth flag on its own, but will wait a while in case anyone comes up with further information.
Ann
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
yes you can
2 rules to follow though

a) the UK flag should not be flown above the USA flag
b) The UK flag should not be bigger in dimensions than the USA flag
but what'll happen if you don't follow that? can't get arrested can ya?
buggered senseless by some arsehole maybe...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to fly to fairly large sized US and UK flags out the back of our place. But the local housing commitee have a one flag rule. So instead I have four smaller flags on the gate. The Union Jack, St Georges Cross, Stars & Stripes and the AZ state flag. I also have a nice sized Union Jack sticker in the back window of my car.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:01 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The Earth flag should be fine. The worst that will happen is that people will assume you're a bunch of tree-hugging hippies.

Flags of other nations, though. Well, that can be trouble. If you find flag etiquette from the 1940's, you'll find it reads very differently from today's versions. And even with that, you are guaranteed to piss off a whole bunch of people if you fly anything but just the US flag. I've seen it happen too many times - stolen flags, paintballed flags, bb through the window, slashed tires, spray-painted doors, verbal abuse. For some reason, bumper stickers and the like never seem to be an issue.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:05 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I F**king loathe all the US flag bollocks what a load of rubbish, its a flag for crying out loud people don't take it so seriously!
Fly any flag you want, however you want it I say.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The Earth flag should be fine. The worst that will happen is that people will assume you're a bunch of tree-hugging hippies.

Flags of other nations, though. Well, that can be trouble. If you find flag etiquette from the 1940's, you'll find it reads very differently from today's versions. And even with that, you are guaranteed to piss off a whole bunch of people if you fly anything but just the US flag. I've seen it happen too many times - stolen flags, paintballed flags, bb through the window, slashed tires, spray-painted doors, verbal abuse. For some reason, bumper stickers and the like never seem to be an issue.
Has this hostility to other nations's flags occurred in just the area where you live or have you seen or heard about this happening in other parts of the US you have lived?

NC Penguin
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
...For some reason, bumper stickers and the like never seem to be an issue.
because people just think you went there for a holiday, like people using the country stickers...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SarahUK
I F**king loathe all the US flag bollocks what a load of rubbish, its a flag for crying out loud people don't take it so seriously!
Fly any flag you want, however you want it I say.

Sarah - I understand how you feel ! Believe me! But when in Rome etc!!
Ann

Thanks for the comments y'all !. I'll go for being a tree-huggin' hippie any time, and proud of it....LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.