Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying the flag ??

Flying the flag ??

Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:18 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying the flag ??

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Why?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Until this morning we had a large US flag and a smaller British flag flying below it on the front of our house. We live in a historic neighbourhood with really narrow streets and many houses (including ours) don't have a front garden as such. This morning at about 8:20am I was woken up by the sound of a truck right outside the window followed by a crunch and the house shaking. Rushed outside to find a large delivery truck had failed to take the corner our house sits on very well and had actually scraped against our front porch and broken the flagpole on which the US flag was flying. The pole was snapped in two and the metal bracket fixing it to the porch had sheared off. They'd bent the guttering on the porch slightly but this didn't look too good in the first place (several similar collisions in the past) so I wasn't concerned about that, but I wasn't in the best of tempers so I ranted and raved at them and threatened to make a complaint to their employers (JC Penney) until the driver got his wallet out and gave me $20. Took it and stomped back inside, then after that vital first cup of tea of the day I calmed down and actually felt guilty about taking the bloke's money. The flagpole probably only cost about $8 from Home Depot or somewhere similar.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I don't have a flag anywhere near my house or my car or Mrs.R's van. I stick out like a bulldogs bollocks enough when I open my mouth without drawing further attention to myself, thanks all the same!!!
I saw a black SUV on I-87 last month with the plate 'DGS BOLX'
Old Mar 4th 2006, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You were lucky it didn't run straight into the house. :scared: By the way I used to live at Powder Mills Heights so I am familiar with Mr Tabor.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Seamless gutters can be very expensive ...... but now when you look at the porch there will seem less gutter

Just be happy no body was hurt.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:38 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Does it work ??
Nah - they're so afraid of lawsuits and inappropriate behavior here that if I looked at someone the wrong way, let alone make a salacious joke they'd all run away covering their ears shouting 'LALALALALAL'

Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

We fly the US flag here in UK on appropropriate dates!
The neighbours wonder what on earth is going on - not big flag flyers around here (except on football match dates!).
Hope to fly St George's flag over in Arizona when we get there!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:05 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

My car has a 5x7-inch US flag magnet on the bumper, which I put there on 9/13/01 and haven't moved it since. In the back window I have a split Union Jack/US flag sticker on the left, and a GB country code sticker on the right.

Mark's car currently has no stickers but has a license plate frame that says "Happiness is Being British". I've been trying to get him to create a personalized license plate with something UK-oriented (slang, etc.) but he's been lazy.

We live in an apartment so have no flag outside, but we have two little Union Jack flags displayed on our mantle. We don't get many visitors, though, so it's really just for us.

It may sound strange, but even though I'm American, I actually find the overwhelming use of US flags here a bit annoying. I mean, they're EVERYWHERE. Which is probably why I only display one American flag and several Union Jacks, to somehow make things more even!

~ Jenney