Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying the duck pond

Flying the duck pond

Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:16 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flying the duck pond

Was wondering if anyone knew the shortest flying time from the UK to USA

My father getting on in years does not care for sitting 7 hours on a plane.

Best route so far I ahve found is for him to fly the 2 hours to Iceland and then the next day fly 5 hours to Boston.

Does anyone have a better route looking for the shortest time across the atlantic.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flying the duck pond

Originally Posted by fsm

Best route so far I ahve found is for him to fly the 2 hours to Iceland and then the next day fly 5 hours to Boston.

Does anyone have a better route looking for the shortest time across the atlantic.
what part of the uk is he's from? ya dad that is..
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:50 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jaxslad
what part of the uk is he's from? ya dad that is..

Inverness in Scotland.

I live in Charlotte, he does not want to be on a plane for 10 hours so looking for shortest flights even if it means taking 3 flights etc.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, we have a resident travel agent on the forum that could maybe give you an idea of where to look, if you ask nicely. Her name is cindyabs.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

http://book.cunard.com/find/pb/searc...n=&ship=&date=

No air time on this route. Just need trains to connect to ports!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:47 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm

Does your dad have a medical condition? Saving just 2 hours doesn't seem worth the extra hassle making it a 2 day trip - especially with all the hassle going through customs twice, the overnight hotel stay, getting to and from a hotel etc.

Maybe splurge on a business class ticket, or raid the bank and fly him first class
A cheaper option is load him up with booze or sleeping drugs (or both) and hope he sleeps all 7 hours
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:18 am
fsm
So I am where?

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Does your dad have a medical condition? Saving just 2 hours doesn't seem worth the extra hassle making it a 2 day trip - especially with all the hassle going through customs twice, the overnight hotel stay, getting to and from a hotel etc.

Maybe splurge on a business class ticket, or raid the bank and fly him first class
A cheaper option is load him up with booze or sleeping drugs (or both) and hope he sleeps all 7 hours
My father who is in is late 70's fell and now had knee problems, he just does not want to sit on a flight for the normal 10 hours.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:31 am
Just Joined

psb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nice

Originally Posted by thinbrit

Couldn't have said it better myself
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
My father who is in is late 70's fell and now had knee problems, he just does not want to sit on a flight for the normal 10 hours.
I flew from Inverness to Charlotte, the transatlantic part was about 7hrs or so (via Heathrow) with US Airways. Mid week flight and the plane was more than half empty.

What about Charlotte - Philly - Glasgow? The flight is between 7hrs 15 and 7hrs 45 with US Airways. I don't think you are going to get a much shorter flight than that. If he is unable to take a train to glasgow then I'd suggest flying from Inverness to London and then London - Charlotte direct.

The only hassle as I'm sure you know is that none of the Inverness flights fly direct into Heathrow but you can go via Edinburgh and Manchester, maybe that would suit him as it would give him a chance to stretch his legs a bit.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Is he ok when he's up and about? I've been on flights when some people have been stood up at the back the whole flight except when the seatbelt lights are on. I don't think they even sat down for meal times.

Hope he can find a decent route.
I'm secretly coveting the cruise ship method though unless the lottery comes up funds will always elude me.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'd opt for the travel agent (cindyabs) route and the first class/business class seating. Lots of legroom for stretching out his legs so the pressure is off his bent knees. Get an aisle seat for him so he stand part of the trip alongside of his seat. You were going to spend the additional monies in connecting service with overnight stays at hotels so this will save you/him time and money and lengthen your time together.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What about LHR to Halifax, Nova Scotia? I just looked at a typical schedule and it is estimated at less than 5 hours. I think Air Canada ( I can vouch for their international flights; really excellent, reliable service, even though the meals are a bit mediochre...) fly that route each day.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
What about LHR to Halifax, Nova Scotia?
Halifax has a comfortable airport, problem is no direct flights to Charlotte so your father will be taking at least three separate flights each way. Air Canada could fly your Dad from Heathrow to Halifax, then fly United from Halifax to Boston Logan, and United from Boston to Charlotte. Expedia are quoting $1300 each way.

Last edited by Dewey; Dec 9th 2009 at 1:36 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:33 pm
fsm
So I am where?

Business class on average seems to cost approx 4 times the cattle class.

Wish we had more transatlantic cruises he could do that but then single use of a cabin bumps up the price.

I have a feeling that I may just have to accept that my Father will no longer be coming out here.

We have had a good run since I came out in 1999 he only missed on year, we have driven the blue ridge parkway, taken three crusies and several other trips all over the place.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

without looking into it extensively, i know that with deals and advance savings you could get good prices on the transatlantic ship to New York, cos we looked into it for my parents a while back. I would recommend having a real good look at that option. Also, theres companies that specialize in pairing people up to save on singles prices. i know its not ideal, but instead of saving never again, maybe some of these options could at least mean "once or twice more" which would no doubt be wonderful for you

Here's hoping your dad can visit you again. I do so hate the word Never.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.