Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying domestic without passport

Flying domestic without passport

Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flying domestic without passport

There is plenty of info on this topic on the forum, but I just want to check. Has anyone ever not been allowed to fly domestically because they did not have a UK passport, though they had accepted US ID?

I have a US drivers licence with the phrase "Temp Visitor" on it. I also have NYC state ID. I really don't want to take my passport on my next internal flight. As others have mentioned, the loss of a passport can be a catastrophe.

I should be OK, right?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying domestic without passport

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
There is plenty of info on this topic on the forum, but I just want to check. Has anyone ever not been allowed to fly domestically because they did not have a UK passport, though they had accepted US ID?

I have a US drivers licence with the phrase "Temp Visitor" on it. I also have NYC state ID. I really don't want to take my passport on my next internal flight. As others have mentioned, the loss of a passport can be a catastrophe.

I should be OK, right?
I'd take your State ID, which will be fine. By the letter of the law, it's highly likely that drivers license would also be fine....but having Temp Visitor slapped across it could open the confusion doors, so I'd not use that, personally.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I should be OK, right?
Don't you need to carry evidence of your US immigration status all the time?

Why do you really not want to take your passport?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't you need to carry evidence of your US immigration status all the time?

Why do you really not want to take your passport?
Good point actually; technically, I believe you do (although I never did....).
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Good point actually; technically, I believe you do (although I never did....).
And look where that landed you, mister.
(love the new member title & avi)
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

the only time i ever had trouble was before i had my NYS license. I got through security with my UK driver license, but about 5mins later while i was in line for the scanners a security guy came over to me and asked if I had an US issued ID. I told him that i had none as I didnt like to carry my passport with me. He said that he would allow me through, but in future to either bring my passport or get a US ID. wasnt really a big deal. I've since got a NYS drivers license and have travelled multiple times. You dont need to carry your passport with you.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
...You dont need to carry your passport with you.
technically you do if your here other than by being a LPR or USC...but anyway, shouldn't stop you getting a flight and I agree it is a hassle loosing the passport.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
the only time i ever had trouble was before i had my NYS license. I got through security with my UK driver license, but about 5mins later while i was in line for the scanners a security guy came over to me and asked if I had an US issued ID. I told him that i had none as I didnt like to carry my passport with me. He said that he would allow me through, but in future to either bring my passport or get a US ID. wasnt really a big deal. I've since got a NYS drivers license and have travelled multiple times. You dont need to carry your passport with you.
I travelled recently on 4 internal flights. My Louisiana drivers license was good enough. Of course, I had my Green Card with me all the time.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
technically you do if your here other than by being a LPR or USC...but anyway, shouldn't stop you getting a flight and I agree it is a hassle loosing the passport.
true...ok, I'll rephrase that. If you have a US ID but not carrying your passport, you would have to be incredibly unlucky or have done something to piss them off for it to be a problem!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

I should be OK, right?
I flew last week with Jet Blue from Long Beach, CA to San Fran, CA and just used my Permanent Resident Card.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've used my Texas driving license (with the afformentioned "temporary visitor" slapped all over it) to fly domestically a couple of times this year..no problems
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

I have travelled domestically many times using my US drivers licence (including prior to getting my green card) without any problems, but earlier this year we got a memo from our corporate travel agents about the 'Secure Flight Program' update.

If you travel both internationally and domestically it can cause you a problem if you use your driver's licence domestically and your passport for international travel, if the names on both do not match exactly e.g. in my case my drivers licence has only my middle initial whereas my passport has my middle name in full.

Here's an extract from the memo we got:

Q. When I travel domestically, I use my driver’s license as identification and my passport for international travel. The names on the two documents do not match exactly. Which name should I use on my reservation?

A. We are recommending that you change the name on your driver’s license to match that of your passport if travel internationally for business. This way you can be assured that you will get airline mileage credit using either form of I.D. Your other option would be to use your passport as your government issued I.D. for both domestic and international travel. You would book your reservations in the name on the passport and have that name associated with your frequent flyer accounts.

Since then I have been using my passport even for domestic travel.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_
I flew last week with Jet Blue from Long Beach, CA to San Fran, CA and just used my Permanent Resident Card.
But OP isn't a PR, he's on some kind of nonimmigrant status. As a PR, you're fine just carrying your Green Card.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Socal Local
I have travelled domestically many times using my US drivers licence (including prior to getting my green card) without any problems, but earlier this year we got a memo from our corporate travel agents about the 'Secure Flight Program' update.
Excellent reminder, thanks!

Secure Flight Program

Q. If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

A. Boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences should not impact your travel. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list.

You should ensure that the name provided when booking your travel matches the government ID that you will use when traveling. However, TSA has built some flexibility into the processes regarding passenger name accuracy. For the near future, small differences between the passenger�s ID and the passenger�s reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, should not cause a problem for the passenger. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their ID and their travel information.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
And look where that landed you, mister.
(love the new member title & avi)
yep...landed me with my citizenship, so I truly don't have to carry anything else, nowadays!

(Yeah the avatar....I truly do feel like a Soviet here sometimes - which is fairly wild, considering I always thought of myself as leaning conservative in the UK!) Just goes to show how far the right is here....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.