Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying back to the UK - immigration line tip

Flying back to the UK - immigration line tip

Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:42 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying back to the UK - immigration line tip

Just a quick tip from my experience last week. Airlines have a 'VIP' card that they give to their First class passengers when flying to LHR to allow them to bypass the main immigration lines. I managed to blag a couple of these for me and Mrs H. We just handed them to the security guard then walked straight up to a UKBA official - the line was hours long otherwise.

So, if you're feeling charming, have a word with the service manager on your flight and see if you can grab one of these pink VIP entry slips. They are great!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying back to the UK - immigration line tip

I must just be lucky - had zero line or maybe a three minute line the last several times I've arrived at LHR.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I must just be lucky - had zero line or maybe a three minute line the last several times I've arrived at LHR.
Me too.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:58 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Me too.
We arrived at 0900, the EU line wasn't too bad, but the non EU line was hundreds long. Coming back into Boston the residents / citizens line was about 3 people. Heh.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

I had one of those in the distant past, and it was worth it. Now I have one of those electronic passports (UK), and it's always very quick to go through that line. I've never been offered a queue jumping card again.

However, being on the TSA Pre list is great! And in that vein, Mrs Me is not TSA Pre and we got split up on the last trip. The agent who spoke to Mrs Me told her that if we'd booked via a real person (rather than internet), she'd be inherit my TSA Pre cooties. I have yet to test that assertion.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Just a quick tip from my experience last week. Airlines have a 'VIP' card that they give to their First class passengers when flying to LHR to allow them to bypass the main immigration lines. I managed to blag a couple of these for me and Mrs H. We just handed them to the security guard then walked straight up to a UKBA official - the line was hours long otherwise.

So, if you're feeling charming, have a word with the service manager on your flight and see if you can grab one of these pink VIP entry slips. They are great!
I used to use 'Iris recognition'. It's been around 4 years since I last went through a UK airport and I think I read some where they might be taken out of use.
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by vulcan
I used to use 'Iris recognition'. It's been around 4 years since I last went through a UK airport and I think I read some where they might be taken out of use.
It's now deprecated at LHR I believe. It's been replaced with the e-gates that never ****ing work for me, whereas iris used to work just fine.
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point

It's now deprecated at LHR I believe. It's been replaced with the e-gates that never ****ing work for me, whereas iris used to work just fine.
These only work for me if I remove my glasses and make an effort to wear a blank expression. As long as I do those things they seem to work, miss either one though and it's a red flashing light for me.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley
These only work for me if I remove my glasses and make an effort to wear a blank expression. As long as I do those things they seem to work, miss either one though and it's a red flashing light for me.
Recently on a UK domestic trip from LHR to NCL it flashed read at the gate and the member of staff there was so shocked that it wasn't working I half expected him to call security and have me rugby tackled to the ground, all because my facial expression was slightly different at the gate than from when I entered security. Probably because I was politely smiling at him. A second attempt with me trying to adopt a blank expression seemed to work. It was quite amusing though.
Old May 3rd 2014, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived at 0900, the EU line wasn't too bad, but the non EU line was hundreds long. Coming back into Boston the residents / citizens line was about 3 people. Heh.
The last 3 times we've come back into the USA we've had to stand for ages in the US citizens line, Houston being the worst. This week we got our Global Entry certification so are hoping this is going to expedite matters, including TSA security. As well as a couple of domestic flights in the US this year we will also be flying to/from Canada and Australia so we decided to spring for the $100 each to get into the Global Entry program.