Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida's economic outlook, Good/Bad??

Florida's economic outlook, Good/Bad??

Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida's economic outlook, Good/Bad??

You guys are just 'flogging a dead horse', sounds like he isn't going to take any of your well meant/experienced advice...just let him find out for himself
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

yep ..long gone the days when the brits came over and got a bargain on a pair of 501 jeans...

gas is cheap tho...but don't worry you will use that and more with the amount of travel you will do..

Houses are very cheap now, but not made very good....unless you pay 25% /35% more to have a brick..

And if your in the building game, here in Florida you will need a permit for puting up a light bulb...again more fees and delays in getting the job done.

Not sure about min wage there now in the Uk..is it like 6 pound a hr? here its around the $6 a hr.i think?..not sure...

You think the gap in the uk with the "rich" and "poor" was bad? well take a look here....a lot of working class people are on the breadline..

But anyways....the other posters gave you a good insight of living/working here in the us, and if that's what you want to do is live the dream, well i for one wish the best matey....
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishtart
You guys are just 'flogging a dead horse', sounds like he isn't going to take any of your well meant/experienced advice...just let him find out for himself
You know what mate..? I think ya correct...

I need a fewwww that's better
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxslad
You know what mate..? I think ya correct...

I need a fewwww that's better
Just breathe.....
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Sorry Englishtart, have to correct you, more like "Flogging a dead Pinata"

We are talking Florida.

Reg. Frank R.
Attached Thumbnails Florida's economic outlook, Good/Bad??-pinata.bmp  
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
god this is getting tedious going through so much and to be honest why do i need to give so much info.
house -near port charlotte, 2000 sq ft 3/2/2 yes thanks its made of block not timber frame and suprisingly it has a roof.its 2 years old and compares very favourably to the Uk
I knwo what homeowners costs and taxes and i can compare them to the uK. No i dont pay seperatley for trash -its all in my taxes.
The dish i bought gets me all 4 major station NBC,CBS, ABc Fox free unlike BBC

frussre if you would care to read things propertly I said my UK home was £2500/$4300 the US one is $3700.

oh and its 15 mins from the ocean.

Is it ok to come to Florida now?
We only serve to warn others - the grass isn't always greener.

Too many people come over thinking they'll get two big SUVs, a big house with swimming pool, vacations to Disney every month, and a larger penis. It rarely happens. So after a year or so, of absolute misery, they go back to the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

yep ..long gone the days when the brits came over and got a bargain on a pair of 501 jeans...
:
I dunno, hubbie got a pair of 501's in CA and they were a real bargain!!
A pair here cost a whopping £110.00 pounds!! (ok bluewater but still)

But yes Im certainly taking all the advice, I did originally start with a notebook on price comparisons for road tax, car registration, office rent, cable (i think its time warner in orange county CA), HOA, taxes (property)but now the notebook is more of a journal!
So far its looking more or less, pretty much the same as the UK, for day to day expenses, APART FROM health insurance. But running my biz in CA will certainly be cheaper than the UK. (including the federal and state taxes)
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
We only serve to warn others - the grass isn't always greener.

Too many people come over thinking they'll get two big SUVs, a big house with swimming pool, vacations to Disney every month, and a larger penis. It rarely happens. So after a year or so, of absolute misery, they go back to the UK.
"two big SUVs, a big house with swimming pool, vacations to Disney every month", did not get any of these.

At least I achieved one on your list.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
"two big SUVs, a big house with swimming pool, vacations to Disney every month", did not get any of these.

At least I achieved one on your list.

Reg. Frank R.
I wondered why you'd stayed so long
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
I dunno, hubbie got a pair of 501's in CA and they were a real bargain!!
A pair here cost a whopping £110.00 pounds!! (ok bluewater but still)

But yes Im certainly taking all the advice, I did originally start with a notebook on price comparisons for road tax, car registration, office rent, cable (i think its time warner in orange county CA), HOA, taxes (property)but now the notebook is more of a journal!
So far its looking more or less, pretty much the same as the UK, for day to day expenses, APART FROM health insurance. But running my biz in CA will certainly be cheaper than the UK. (including the federal and state taxes)
You found one of the 2 cheapest items in USA, the other is sneakers. Good, suits, blazers, shirts, ties, shoes, pants (trousers) are cheaper in UK.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

"I went into the bar for a laugh, came out in stitches"

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

all good advice from poster's here...one thing i do remember is how much i loved this state till the great depression hit...when thing's are good here, it is paradise...give it a go in a few year's would be my advice, and holiday here in the meantime...
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:56 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
god this is getting tedious going through so much and to be honest why do i need to give so much info.
house -near port charlotte, 2000 sq ft 3/2/2 yes thanks its made of block not timber frame and suprisingly it has a roof.its 2 years old and compares very favourably to the Uk
I knwo what homeowners costs and taxes and i can compare them to the uK. No i dont pay seperatley for trash -its all in my taxes.
The dish i bought gets me all 4 major station NBC,CBS, ABc Fox free unlike BBC

frussre if you would care to read things propertly I said my UK home was £2500/$4300 the US one is $3700.

oh and its 15 mins from the ocean.

Is it ok to come to Florida now?
North or South of Port Charlotte? If it's south, I hope its not as far down as Cape Coral, we're really in the shit down here!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It was'nt what we all thought, he stayed so long He was taking a longer swim then maybe spooned his Mrs He better watch out as he need a permit for that soon also..
Old Feb 9th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was'nt what we all thought, he stayed so long He was taking a longer swim then maybe spooned his Mrs He better watch out as he need a permit for that soon also..
Florida, no State or City tax on salaries, they make up for it with a license, a fee, for everything.

"No sex please we are British"
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.