Reload this Page >

Florida Mobile Phone without SSN

Florida Mobile Phone without SSN

Old Jan 18th 2023, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

konsrq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Florida Mobile Phone without SSN

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone knows if there's a mobile phone provider who'd allow a contract to be set up for a UK citizen who doesn't have a Social Security Number in the US.
I'm a UK citizen with a home in Florida, and have an ITIN, but a couple of companies I've tried insist it has to be the SSN.

Thanks, konsrq
Old Jan 18th 2023, 3:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Mobile Phone without SSN

Originally Posted by konsrq
Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone knows if there's a mobile phone provider who'd allow a contract to be set up for a UK citizen who doesn't have a Social Security Number in the US.
I'm a UK citizen with a home in Florida, and have an ITIN, but a couple of companies I've tried insist it has to be the SSN.

Thanks, konsrq
Did you look at GoogleFi (on T-Mobile) ?
Old Jan 18th 2023, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have to be a contract, do you already have a phone? If you do and it's e-sim compatible then have a look at Mint. https://www.mintmobile.com

No SSN or even a US address needed.

We set up accounts with them from the UK, all done remotely, we were given our US phone numbers straight away. We then activated our SIM cards when we arrived in the US (literally whilst sitting on the plane waiting to disembark so it was all sorted before we set foot on US soil!). Now we can switch between the UK and US numbers easily all on one phone. $20 per month for 10GB which is plenty for us, and unlimited talk and texts.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 18th 2023 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2023, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, hadn't heard of them - I'll check it out!
Old Jan 18th 2023, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for coming back to me.
I've tried non-contract (pay as you go) before, but I've struggled to retain the same mobile number (which I want to do) because of lack of use (even although I;ve had plenty of credit on the phones).
Please do you happen to know if with Mint you can set up an autopayment feature and that the number won't be lost? (though infrequent use, I mean).
Old Jan 18th 2023, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for coming back to me.
I've tried non-contract (pay as you go) before, but I've struggled to retain the same mobile number (which I want to do) because of lack of use (even although I;ve had plenty of credit on the phones).
Please do you happen to know if with Mint you can set up an autopayment feature and that the number won't be lost? (though infrequent use, I mean).
It's not pay as you go, or credit in advance. It's the same as services like Giffgaff, Smarty, etc, in the UK.

HTH.

Old Jan 18th 2023, 3:59 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, hadn't heard of them - I'll check it out!
Even better… they let you pause servive in the app and only pay when you need to use it… I have it on my iPhone as an eSim and only plan to use it for international roaming and or if Verizon is down…
Old Jan 18th 2023, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Just signed up for it - thanks for the recommendation!
Old Jan 18th 2023, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks!
Another contributor has suggest Google Fi, I'm going to give that a go, see how I get on - if it doesn't work out for me I'll do as you suggest.

Old Jan 18th 2023, 6:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks!
Another contributor has suggest Google Fi, I'm going to give that a go, see how I get on - if it doesn't work out for me I'll do as you suggest.
I think they both offer pretty much the same thing. We looked at GoogleFi too, can't remember why we went with Mint in the end, possibly a special offer at the time? But both should work equally well.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2023, 6:27 pm
tht

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think they both offer pretty much the same thing. We looked at GoogleFi too, can't remember why we went with Mint in the end, possibly a special offer at the time? But both should work equally well.

Good luck.
I don’t believe Mint allows you to pause the service… which if it’s for part time helps… GoogleFi also has roaming so if you want to use it back in the UK:

https://fi.google.com/about/international-rates/?pli=1