Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Fact finding

Florida Fact finding

Old Mar 31st 2017, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Georgiabk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Florida Fact finding

we are in the process of looking into immigrating to Florida. I'm doing reasurch into areas we could potentially look into and also come over to invistigate later in the year. We are looking at buying a business, have a 3 year old son and have family (Aunts and cousins) in the palm beach area and cocoa beach area. We currently own a marquee company and wondered if this would be popular in Florida covering events, weddings or we are looking at selling the business and buying another in Florida. We have been looking into pool cleaning, hurricane shutters and landscaping business.
We have been looking into the Palm Beach County, Vero beach area, Sebastian and Palm city areas. In these areas can people recommend them for the following
- good areas in general
- good crime rates
- excellent education
- business potential
- properties that have a separate guest house attached
- community feel
- extra circular activities

We have searched sites like citydata.com and real estates but would like to know from a more personnel advice to offer. Have tried to look up forums for advice but can't seem to find anything recent.

Thank you for your help x
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Florida Fact finding

Which State do you live in now?

I have not been to Florida bit would find it too hot and muggy in the summer, OK in the winter.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

"Good crime rates" and "excellent education" aren't things that I usually think of when I think of Florida.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Is NC back on the recommend list following repeal of the Bathroom Bill?
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Is NC back on the recommend list following repeal of the Bathroom Bill?
No. It's terrible here.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Good crime rates" and "excellent education" aren't things that I usually think of when I think of Florida.
Hey now..!

Excellent education is available and I haven't been raped yet.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your aunts and uncles are the perfect people to advise you. They live there already.

I have family in Ft. Myers. One loves it and will never leave. The other hates the state with a passion.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgiabk
we are in the process of looking into immigrating to Florida. I'm doing reasurch into areas we could potentially look into and also come over to invistigate later in the year. We are looking at buying a business, have a 3 year old son and have family (Aunts and cousins) in the palm beach area and cocoa beach area. We currently own a marquee company and wondered if this would be popular in Florida covering events, weddings or we are looking at selling the business and buying another in Florida. We have been looking into pool cleaning, hurricane shutters and landscaping business.
We have been looking into the Palm Beach County, Vero beach area, Sebastian and Palm city areas. In these areas can people recommend them for the following
- good areas in general
- good crime rates
- excellent education
- business potential
- properties that have a separate guest house attached
- community feel
- extra circular activities

We have searched sites like citydata.com and real estates but would like to know from a more personnel advice to offer. Have tried to look up forums for advice but can't seem to find anything recent.

Thank you for your help x
Lots of people do pool cleaning/maintenance - I can get that very cheap.

Hurricane shutters are seasonal. I don't know what the margins are like but you need to buy the actual shutters from certified manufacturers (they are tested independently), that might indicate they charge $$$. If you install uncertified shutters the homeowner doesn't get the insurance discount.

The money in landscaping is probably in design because the labor is cheap here.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Hey now..!

Excellent education is available and I haven't been raped yet.
Not sure if that is a plus or a minus.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Lots of people do pool cleaning/maintenance - I can get that very cheap.

Hurricane shutters are seasonal. I don't know what the margins are like but you need to buy the actual shutters from certified manufacturers (they are tested independently), that might indicate they charge $$$. If you install uncertified shutters the homeowner doesn't get the insurance discount.

The money in landscaping is probably in design because the labor is cheap here.
Landscaping businesses are only lucrative if you are willing to hire illegals to do the work which most of the larger landscaping companies do. In my sister's gated community, only one of each crew speaks English.

She purchased hurricane shutters out of season. Your use of them are seasonal The shutters were purchased from the company that installed them. Yes, they got a discount on homeowners insurance and the company and shutters were vetted by the homeowners association.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Landscaping businesses are only lucrative if you are willing to hire illegals to do the work which most of the larger landscaping companies do. In my sister's gated community, only one of each crew speaks English.

She purchased hurricane shutters out of season. Your use of them are seasonal The shutters were purchased from the company that installed them. Yes, they got a discount on homeowners insurance and the company and shutters were vetted by the homeowners association.
You can get a discount out of season too - but most people don't think about them until the hurricane season.

I'm in the process of buying shutters for my house now and 2/3 of the local suppliers for shutters, outside of the Home Depots, are closed until April. I've been looking and researching since December.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

South coast England. We have visited in the summer months and it isn't an issue for us.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgiabk
South coast England. We have visited in the summer months and it isn't an issue for us.
So are you US citizens or do you have a visa already? I think Boiler assumed you were already in the US so wouldn't need a visa, but is that not the case?

Welcome to BE and good luck.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the info with the hurricane shutters I did think this might be the case. We are just starting to look at options and also looking at relocating our current business. Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2017, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

No we haven't got our visas yet just starting to look into it and see if it's something we could do. We have an appointment with an attorney next week to discuss options but wanting advice on these type of things to see if this type of move is viable.
Thank you for the advice so far x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.