Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:28 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Originally Posted by Sarah
oops yeah type o
I thought it was a cryptic clue as to the identity of who?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Chav supplies

Lots of hostility there about the two interviewees saying they would return to the uk in case of illness. We need to change the name of the website to

BritishNHSTaxAvoidingExpatswhowouldgobackifIll.com

to fall into line with both the BBC's narrow selection of interviewees and the responses to them. Its probably an anti us thing too. If someone was living in spain for 15 years and got seriously ill and returned to the uk for treatment you wouldn't get the comments.
I'm amazed that the BBC published so many of these comments, to be honest. Sure, the interviewee who said that he'd happily sponge of the UK tax payer was leaving himself wide open to criticism, but the BBC has got be be capable of publishing a balanced view.

Perhaps if more sensibly-minded people (and there are loads on BE ) replied indicating that this interviewee was in the minority, then the BBC would have to publish these and highlight the fact that not all British Expats are looking to sponge off the NHS.

With my limited experiences of the Australian healthcare system, if I was on holiday in the UK and was taken ill, I'd be on the first plane back to Melbourne
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

They never published my useful comments ..can't think why ...

I know who .............
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
I'm amazed that the BBC published so many of these comments, to be honest. Sure, the interviewee who said that he'd happily sponge of the UK tax payer was leaving himself wide open to criticism, but the BBC has got be be capable of publishing a balanced view.

Perhaps if more sensibly-minded people (and there are loads on BE ) replied indicating that this interviewee was in the minority, then the BBC would have to publish these and highlight the fact that not all British Expats are looking to sponge off the NHS.

With my limited experiences of the Australian healthcare system, if I was on holiday in the UK and was taken ill, I'd be on the first plane back to Melbourne
I replied and said it didn't represent many of us and that there's a lot who have paid for years into NHS, not used it much, and don't plan to go back to do so. No sign of my comments yet though....
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:37 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
I replied and said it didn't represent many of us and that there's a lot who have paid for years into NHS, not used it much, and don't plan to go back to do so. No sign of my comments yet though....
Unfortunately they tend to only post comments that reflect angry opinions. If you don't fit into the category, then your posts are never selected. The whole article was biased towards the Beebs POV which is that BE's in the USA are money grabbers.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately they tend to only post comments that reflect angry opinions. If you don't fit into the category, then your posts are never selected. The whole article was biased towards the Beebs POV which is that BE's in the USA are money grabbers.
Good God! Are you suggesting that a media editorial has been edited to suit the bias and personal agenda of the publishers???
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:50 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Good God! Are you suggesting that a media editorial has been edited to suit the bias and personal agenda of the publishers???

I know its shocking :scared: :scared:

Also, brace yourself, in the TIO forum, I think, well im pretty sure, that, maybe, rug13y, supports Israel.

The real issue is that the "Open debate" has been edited to conform to the editorial. That is what I take issue with.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I know its shocking :scared: :scared:

Also, brace yourself, in the TIO forum, I think, well im pretty sure, that, maybe, rug13y, supports Israel.

The real issue is that the "Open debate" has been edited to conform to the editorial. That is what I take issue with.
OMG no!?!?!?!?!?!?! Say its not true.....

Yeah I do agree with you. We expect a media outlet to bias their editorials but to only publish readers comments that agree or support your bias is taking it a step too far in my opinion.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They don't mention many of us have worked and paid taxes for years in the UK and taken very little out of the system.
Absolutely, if you paid your taxes, NI Insurance and stuff for years, then do not use the NHS very much, denying people access to the NHS is pretty much stealing in my book. The government makes you pay into the system, then denies you access just because you are resident abroad. Seems very unfair to me. Just more political correctness in the UK. Its sounds reasonable, but in fact is just nasty. All politicians can make anything sound reasonable, but most people can see past that.

It seems there is an anti-emigrant bias in the UK at the moment.