Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold
Default Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Saw this has appeared on the BBC website....do they monitor this forum or something ?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:22 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Expat Experiences on BBC Website

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Saw this has appeared on the BBC website....do they monitor this forum or something ?
Expect an influx of Florida related visa questions in 3...2...1...
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:29 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Expect an influx of Florida related visa questions in 3...2...1...
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I read that this morning, and was thinking tell me something I dont know, thanks to Expats
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Good read thanks for posting
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I read this article yesterday...there is also an expat questionaire to fill in.

Were on earth do these people get the idea taxes in the US are lower than the UK?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Were on earth do these people get the idea taxes in the US are lower than the UK?

in TN there is no state income tax, sales tax is 9% compared to 17.5% VAT.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Beer, Fag's & Petrol
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:37 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Beer, Fag's & Petrol
Chav supplies

Lots of hostility there about the two interviewees saying they would return to the uk in case of illness. We need to change the name of the website to

BritishNHSTaxAvoidingExpatswhowouldgobackifIll.com

to fall into line with both the BBC's narrow selection of interviewees and the responses to them. Its probably an anti us thing too. If someone was living in spain for 15 years and got seriously ill and returned to the uk for treatment you wouldn't get the comments.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickmills

I know...NJ sales tax was 6% until a couple of weeks ago...its now 7%. Look at the big picture and take all taxes into account ie Fed and State income taxes, sales tax, property tax, healthcare...have I missed anything out?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Chav supplies

Lots of hostility there about the two interviewees saying they would return to the uk in case of illness. We need to change the name of the website to

BritishNHSTaxAvoidingExpatswhowouldgobackifIll.com

to fall into line with both the BBC's narrow selection of interviewees and the responses to them. Its probably an anti us thing too. If someone was living in spain for 15 years and got seriously ill and returned to the uk for treatment you wouldn't get the comments.

They don't mention many of us have worked and paid taxes for years in the UK and taken very little out of the system.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:42 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mickmills
In DE, there's no sales tax
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:42 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

After reading it I get the impression that a few of them are ticked off about the idea of a load of Disney-loving expats coming back to England whenever they get the sniffles. Can't say I blame them, its your own responsibility to get health insurance over here. However that doesn't mean that the US healthcare coverage system isn't a load of shite.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know...NJ sales tax was 6% until a couple of weeks ago...its now 7%. Look at the big picture and take all taxes into account ie Fed and State income taxes, sales tax, property tax, healthcare...have I missed anything out?
Do you know I found it such a treat to be able to just pay at the till what the price said, back home, not like here, never will get use to the extra tax thing
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Isn't the correct term that they "drink the koolaid" ? Remember my folks trying to complain about their council tax bill and assume that I wouldn't have to pay anything like that in America as "taxes there must be so low"...I then revealed my property tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.