Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida employment agencies

Florida employment agencies

Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida employment agencies

Originally Posted by meauxna
Sounds a lot like the US. Except for the union strikes. We had an abysmal summer too!

But seriously, what's all this 'lifestyle' business? The lifestyle there isn't significantly different from where I live, but there's more air conditioning. I'm reminded of the time I was offered a very good package to go work in Hawaii. I went through all the same thoughts.. palm trees, beaches, scuba diving, tropical umbrella drinks.... Then I remembered that I'd be working 60/70 hours a week there, too, so what did it matter that those things were at my feet? I'd never have time to use them.

Just some things to think about.
55 hours a week is very normal for me. Around the busy times (3 weeks every quarter) it’s 65-70 hours with ease (with weekend work)

Compare that with Australia – people are on the piss at about 3 pm on Friday. I am told the UK beer culture is just about the same.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ssshhh he probably doesn't know about the long working hours and 10 days holiday a year.
10! I've been bamboozled!
I only get 3. Unpaid.

Originally Posted by E3only
55 hours a week is very normal for me. Around the busy times (3 weeks every quarter) it’s 65-70 hours with ease (with weekend work)

Compare that with Australia – people are on the piss at about 3 pm on Friday. I am told the UK beer culture is just about the same.
This is what I'm sayin'... what is the Florida 'lifestyle' that isn't the same savagery, but with humidity?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I only get 3. Unpaid.

This is what I'm sayin'... what is the Florida 'lifestyle' that isn't the same savagery, but with humidity?
Whenever I come across statements like “UK is this that, there is no this no that” and then throw that statement to say how wonderful US is – that does not fly with me.

The only bit the OP didn’t do that almost everyone from the UK wanting to move to the states is moan about EU immigration: D and how easy it is for non UK citizens to get in!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Whenever I come across statements like “UK is this that, there is no this no that” and then throw that statement to say how wonderful US is – that does not fly with me.

The only bit the OP didn’t do that almost everyone from the UK wanting to move to the states is moan about EU immigration: D and how easy it is for non UK citizens to get in!
I'm wondering if the OP's been to Florida.

'I've heard and read great things about the lifestyle, the people, the quality of life'

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 14th 2010 at 1:07 am.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm wondering if the OP's been to Florida.

'I've heard and read great things about the lifestyle, the people, the quality of life'
Exactly. My first post on this thread asked that question. OP has not been to Florida and is relying on hear say and other peoples judgment and experience!

It’s weird that it’s almost always Florida or California – and moan about English summer
Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:01 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike_C
I'm sick to death of the UK. The end of yet another abysmal summer, taxes on the up again, huge cuts in public spending, fuel prices sky high and about to go up again, unions threatening a protracted programme of strikes... Need I go on?
Don't forget all the bloody immigrants!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Don't forget all the bloody immigrants!
Bloody TV licence
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! No, I have some friends who've lived over there for about 10 years, a British woman and her American husband. I've heard and read great things about the lifestyle, the people, the quality of life. I'm sick to death of the UK. The end of yet another abysmal summer, taxes on the up again, huge cuts in public spending, fuel prices sky high and about to go up again, unions threatening a protracted programme of strikes... Need I go on?
You don't think that doesn't happen over here? Be in for a surprise
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Mike_C is on a distinguished road

Well, seems like people are rushing to shoot me down in flames here. The fact is I'm at a very early stage of looking at this as an option. If it's something I do decide to do I'll be looking to do it as soon as I can, why would I procrastinate? No, I've never been to Florida but I'm a big boy and I'm not swayed by watching Miami Vice or any US based dramas. My thoughts are based on long conversations with a good friend who's been living in Fl for 10 years and it's something I definitely want to look at. I'm not sure why the assumption's been made that I'll need to be on the piss by 3pm on a Friday or that I'll be put off by the working hours. I'm not scared of working for a living and I'm not desperate to go to Fl so I can lounge around by my pool drinking beer. I want to work for a living in a challenging, English speaking environment and given the feedback I've had from my friend I think it's definitely something I should explore further.

There's some really good advice from some people on this thread which I'm grateful for. The additional sarcasm and cynicism isn't what I was looking for but hey, if that's what gets you off, crack on.

Cheers,

Mike
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Well, seems like people are rushing to shoot me down in flames here. The fact is I'm at a very early stage of looking at this as an option. If it's something I do decide to do I'll be looking to do it as soon as I can, why would I procrastinate? No, I've never been to Florida but I'm a big boy and I'm not swayed by watching Miami Vice or any US based dramas. My thoughts are based on long conversations with a good friend who's been living in Fl for 10 years and it's something I definitely want to look at. I'm not sure why the assumption's been made that I'll need to be on the piss by 3pm on a Friday or that I'll be put off by the working hours. I'm not scared of working for a living and I'm not desperate to go to Fl so I can lounge around by my pool drinking beer. I want to work for a living in a challenging, English speaking environment and given the feedback I've had from my friend I think it's definitely something I should explore further.

There's some really good advice from some people on this thread which I'm grateful for. The additional sarcasm and cynicism isn't what I was looking for but hey, if that's what gets you off, crack on.

Cheers,

Mike
Hey - don't let people sway you. I was a big Simpsons fan and now I live in Springfield!

(Well, just outside it).
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I want to work for a living in a... English speaking environment
And you think Florida is an English speaking environment? From what I know from friends and family who have lived and visited there, it's split English/Spanish speaking and becoming more Spanish than English.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I only get 3. Unpaid.

yeah I dont think i could immigrate to the U.S if i had to work for somebody. The UK certainly provides better benefits for its UK employees.
(come back to the Uk your'll get 4 weeks paid holiday)
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well, seems like people are rushing to shoot me down in flames here. The fact is I'm at a very early stage of looking at this as an option.
Mike: whether or not Florida itself is a good choice is a good topic for this thread. However, you'll find out that most people don't want to spend the time typing out answers about the cost of living and other practical matters when there is no chance the individual will be able to move.

I suggest you review the pinned thread in the Immigration forum and read some threads there. That will give you a better idea if you will have a route 'in' or not. If not, you'll probably want to expand your research.

Searching 'Florida' in this forum will give you an explanation of the responses to your post.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:24 pm
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

Hi Mike,

Maybe I should explain something as a newbie and ex-resident of the states. Moderators and long time members of this board really dislike two things:

1. Complaining about your home country.
2. Asking FAQs which you could find out yourself.

Number 2 is obvious, but with regards number 1 you should be aware that often the worst thing about the UK is people never realizing they have had it so good. Its not until you live in a foreign country for a length of time that you realize every country has ups and downs - so people thinking the streets are paved with gold somewhere else are deluded (not saying you are one of these.)

One final thing to remember is that not everyone on the forum wanted to emigrate. I may have to go back to the states because of my USC wife, but would prefer to be in UK - very few people on her are your cliched channel 4 documentary immigrant.

In summary the only ways to emigrate to the states are:
1. marry USC
2. be very rich or famous
3. transfer to US offices of your company
4. study in the US (expensive)
5. be uniquely skilled in it (over 300m USCs)

there are a few other paths but these are the main ones. all US immigration is painfully beaurecratic and slow!!

cheers Brian.

p.s. I knew you were sincere...
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:17 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Mike
Hey Mike,

Hopefully your friends in FL will give you some decent advice and steer you in the right direction regarding employment, and what to expect over here.
As far as it goes you need to do some reseach into what type of visa will allow you to come to the US and reside and work. Some of that has already been covered here.

I'd have to say that right now that the job market isn't great for anyone here in Florida, and jobs in construction are particularly hard to come by. You'll obviously know your qualifications, limitations and qualities better than anyone else. Maybe you're not actually in the construction industry anyway?

You're right, the language is English here, and though we have plenty of residents that do speak Spanish as a first language they are in a minority. It's not a major problem to anyone really except those that can only speak Spanish and don't want to actually learn English The similarities basically stop at the English language really, despite it being basically the same, it's still a foreign country.

Whether or not the US is better than the UK to live in probably really depends on the individual, their situation and their personal point of view. A lot of immigrants that live here point out the negatives at every turn, but they still remain in the country so it can' t be all bad.
I've lived here a while, so can't really comment on what life is specifically like compared the UK anymore, and in any case my being negative or positive isn't going to answer your original question.
I would suggest a trip over here to start with, maybe a couple at different times of the year so you can compare things and get a feel for the place and see if it's even what you want. Personally I wouldn't take a chance on relocating a place and country that I'd never actually visited, if that happened to be the case, but of course nobody knows someone else's living conditions or their state of mind towards where they have to live and work.

Glad you can take the negative comments with a pinch of salt. Sometimes on an internet forum that's the only way.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.