Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Drivers Licence

Florida Drivers Licence

Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

floridapete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Florida Drivers Licence

My wife and I have owned a house in Kissimmee since 2001. We are retiring in July and plan on spending two periods of 80 days a year at our house, (mid September to mid December and mid March to mid June). The rest of the year we live in the UK.

We are planning on buying a car as it is cheaper than renting (only just due to the very high cost of insurance). The insurance company Geica want us to obtain a Florida Driver's Licence within 30 days.

I have conducted some research and undertand you have to pas a 4 hour drug and alcohol course, however, the rest of the task isn't clear.

1. Can someone please give us an idea of what else is required?
2. I understand we will have to do a drive on Florida roads. Can you do this in a hire car or perhaps a driving instructors car because we don't want to buy a car until we have the licences?
3. I have heard that the licence is only valid for the time you are in Florida. Does that mean you have to rent a car when we return to Florida and reapply for a licence each visit? If that is the case how much does it cost?
4. Has anyone had problems with the Visa Waiver system with what we are planning to do....80 days in Florida, 100 days in UK, 80 days in Florida, 100 days in UK etc. The Immigration Officer we spoke to on our arrival at Easter said it would be OK.

Thanking you in advance.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Drivers Licence

Originally Posted by floridapete
1. Can someone please give us an idea of what else is required?
I was under the impression that VWP visitors cannot get a US Drivers License. But, I could be wrong.

4. Has anyone had problems with the Visa Waiver system with what we are planning to do....80 days in Florida, 100 days in UK, 80 days in Florida, 100 days in UK etc. The Immigration Officer we spoke to on our arrival at Easter said it would be OK.
As long as you are of retirement age, and it's clear that you have strong ties to the UK, most retirees are successful spending that much time in the USA.

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FloridaPete,

Have you contacted the Florida DMV directly? As like Noorah101, I was under the impression that in order to obtain a Florida driving license you had to be a resident of Florida.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I would investigate the possibility of a visitors (B2) visa. if I was in your position.
FL law, in addition to the insurance company, require you to obtain an FL license, if you intend to drive beyond 30 days of your arrival.
You will have to take the two part FL driving test, assuming that you have a valid UK license (I don't think you are permitted to use a rental car though). The test itself is very, very basic and not conducted on the street. When I did mine it was at the test center 'course' on South OBT. A semi-trained chimpanzee could easily pass the driving bit, - might be more of a stretch for the multiple choice part - perhaps that would need to be a fully trained one.
You would have to renew your license and take a sight test each time you receive a new I-94 from immigration control - and that, frankly, is a real pain and costs $48.00 each time you do it. The worst of it is sitting around at the DMV amongst the knuckle-draggers and mouth-breathers all day - and then waiting a month for the plastic license to be mailed from Tallahassee.
I believe a B2 would give you 6 months, rather than 3 with VWP, meaning less time spent wasting your life in the DMV office.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:54 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

That's great info Awesome Welles, thanks for sharing. As a matter of interest can an international driving license not be used instead? I suppose I am trying to get my head around the "resident" issue. Here in NC you have to be resident, and they ask for all sorts of documents to proof residence if you are not a citizen. They've really clamped down on that as a few years ago they had a problem with a couple of illegal immigrants drink driving and causing deaths
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I would investigate the possibility of a visitors (B2) visa. if I was in your position.
FL law, in addition to the insurance company, require you to obtain an FL license, if you intend to drive beyond 30 days of your arrival.
You will have to take the two part FL driving test, assuming that you have a valid UK license (I don't think you are permitted to use a rental car though). The test itself is very, very basic and not conducted on the street. When I did mine it was at the test center 'course' on South OBT. A semi-trained chimpanzee could easily pass the driving bit, - might be more of a stretch for the multiple choice part - perhaps that would need to be a fully trained one.
You would have to renew your license and take a sight test each time you receive a new I-94 from immigration control - and that, frankly, is a real pain and costs $48.00 each time you do it. The worst of it is sitting around at the DMV amongst the knuckle-draggers and mouth-breathers all day - and then waiting a month for the plastic license to be mailed from Tallahassee.
I believe a B2 would give you 6 months, rather than 3 with VWP, meaning less time spent wasting your life in the DMV office.
Originally Posted by Sue
That's great info Awesome Welles, thanks for sharing. As a matter of interest can an international driving license not be used instead? I suppose I am trying to get my head around the "resident" issue. Here in NC you have to be resident, and they ask for all sorts of documents to proof residence if you are not a citizen. They've really clamped down on that as a few years ago they had a problem with a couple of illegal immigrants drink driving and causing deaths
Mr and Mrs tonrob senior have a B2 and go through the ball-ache of getting a new FL DL each time. Once a year is bad, but twice a year.....

An International Driving Licence is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike really. It's just a 'translation' of your original licence which is fine if it were in German or something but as it's in English then I can't see how it would make a difference.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by tonrob

An International Driving Licence is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike really. It's just a 'translation' of your original licence which is fine if it were in German or something but as it's in English then I can't see how it would make a difference.
I didn't know, hence my question. I suppose with the amount of snow birds that Florida has each year it's only natural that they have a different policy for issuing driving licenses, as compared to other states. It still intrigues me though by how much each state differs on things like this
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I didn't know, hence my question. I suppose with the amount of snow birds that Florida has each year it's only natural that they have a different policy for issuing driving licenses, as compared to other states. It still intrigues me though by how much each state differs on things like this
I think most states brought in stricter rules about obtaining licences after 9/11...a DL is all the ID you need to board a domestic flight.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I think FL, NC and OR were the holdouts on full compliance with the REAL ID Act. I say were because I think not now.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

floridapete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your assistance. I have just had this reply from the Driving Licence Center:
You will take a vision and written exam; the driving test can be taken in a rented vehicle or a driver instructor’s vehicle. The four hour course is needed. Your license will be good for as long as your visa. When returning to Florida you will need to renew with same documents; however you will not be required to retest again. The cost of a Florida driver license is 48.00.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Thanks everyone for your assistance. I have just had this reply from the Driving Licence Center:
You will take a vision and written exam; the driving test can be taken in a rented vehicle or a driver instructor’s vehicle. The four hour course is needed. Your license will be good for as long as your visa. When returning to Florida you will need to renew with same documents; however you will not be required to retest again. The cost of a Florida driver license is 48.00.
Thanks for shaing that. It wil be great info for anyone else in the same boat as yourself.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the 30 day requirement State or Federal law, or is it just Geico's rule? If its just the ins co, how about trying a different insurance co? I have heard (on here mainly) that Progressive may insure without the US license.

Edit - Ah, I see Awesome Wells has said it is the law - bummer, but at least it sounds like you don't have to retest every time - that would be terrible.

Last edited by Dan725; Apr 21st 2010 at 8:46 pm.