Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida car license and car buying

Florida car license and car buying

Old Oct 18th 2012, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

davidAW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Florida car license and car buying

Interesting. not sure if the OP can take advantage of that as I am not sure where he is coming from! I guess England is not on that list as we drive on the right side of the road and all the others on the wrong side

My point still stands though that trying to get insurance on the basis of anything other than a State issued DL is going to cost.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We got insurance through AIG Travelguard, it was $400 for 6 months for a brand new Ford Escape. Also just added a second car for an additional $350 (Honda Pilot). The insurance was initially taken out with international drivers licenses and it was for both my husband and myself.

We looked into second hand cars, anything less than $10K needed a lot of work doing to it, ok I guess if your not hanging around long and don't need something reliable.

As for a Florida DL, it's really simple, you can book your test over the phone or online, usually within a couple of days. You have a eye test, 2 multiple choice tests (road rules and signs), then a driving test usually road a car park! It was really easy, I read the Florida Drivers Handbook the night before and got everything right
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

AIG Travelguard? So it was a temporary policy only for travellers yes? What was the monetary coverage if you don't mind me asking?
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by davidAW
AIG Travelguard? So it was a temporary policy only for travellers yes? What was the monetary coverage if you don't mind me asking?
No, it's for expats, you have to originally sign up before moving to the US. They have lots of other benefits too.

We took the maximum available for Florida (whatever that is, the husband arranged it). Paranoid that we will be sued

Edit: We have renewed several times since too
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

OK, understood, thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

This may now be wrong but I seem to remember when I first came here (2002) that it was permitted to drive with your home country licence for a period up to one year - that may have changed now but in any event, I am sure that the Insurance company would charge big time in that scenario!
You get 4 weeks from arriving in Florida
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

I thought it must have changed over the last decade or so; bit out of touch now!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

$3-4K will get you a piece of shit with at least 150K on the clock...on the plus side, Florida doesn't have a annual inspection so you don't have to worry about passing one.

Down side, Florida doesn't have an inspection, so you can be buying a massive piece of shit.

Expect $1K per 6 month on a new car as a bench mark on insurance...but with no credit or driving history, you won't be saving massive amounts, unless you get state minimums, which you don't want to do.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CityWalk
Well a friend of mine has a his Echo at over 200 000 and has hardly any money in it. He lives in Clemont.
Another friend had a Jeep Cherokee and it had over 200 000 on the clock ......
Putting interstellar mileage on a vehicle is one thing, many vehicles can take it these days with regular service and maintenance. My Accord has "only" 235k on it, I took a Ford Sierra to 101k, and an Alfa Romeo to 155k. But buying one that has already got 100k or more on the clock can be a huge gamble.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2012 at 9:22 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CityWalk
Am I missing a joke here?
It sounds like you are ...... but you'll soon see when you get here that old Eclipse drivers are invariably short and swarthy.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2012 at 9:31 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 11:12 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

This may now be wrong but I seem to remember when I first came here (2002) that it was permitted to drive with your home country licence for a period up to one year - that may have changed now but in any event, I am sure that the Insurance company would charge big time in that scenario!
Just to be clear - the issue here is not whether one is permitted to drive on a license from another country/state, the problem for the OP is that in order to purchase and register a car in Florida (ie. get license tags), he will definitiely need a Florida license.

Insurance need not be expensive, but the rates are all over the place depending on driving history and insurance company and you need to understand what you are buying. There are specific limits for different things: comprehensive for damage to your car, collision damage, property damage liability, bodily injury liability, uninsured motorist coverage, Florida Personal injury protection (compulsory) and other things. To the OP: make sure you understand each of those and figure out a suitable level of coverage. You will be asked whether you want/need each of those separately. Folks who pay too much for insurance just go with whatever the insurance co. or agent recommends, and end up spending a fortune on stuff they may not need. A little education on insurance goes a long way - it's a lot more complex than the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:32 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

I had to be insured for 3 years in Miami before I could get anything other than liability.

There were some willing to insure the cost was more than the car.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
We got insurance through AIG Travelguard, it was $400 for 6 months for a brand new Ford Escape. Also just added a second car for an additional $350 (Honda Pilot). The insurance was initially taken out with international drivers licenses and it was for both my husband and myself.
The question is when throwing around insurance cost is always - for what sort of coverage? State minimum?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:56 am
Just Joined

CityWalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Is AIG Travel Guard just for rental cars or could i benefit from it?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
The question is when throwing around insurance cost is always - for what sort of coverage? State minimum?
Bodily Injury: $250,000/$500,000
Property Damage: $100,000
Uninsured motorist: $250,000/$500,000
Deductible: $500

I believe that is pretty decent cover, all other quotes were half the coverage and cost more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.