Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida car license and car buying

Florida car license and car buying

Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

CityWalk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Florida car license and car buying

I need some help with the process of getting your Florida license. How much should I expect to pay insurance wise etc

I will be living in Florida under a Q visa from January.

The last time I went out for a year I ended up spending thousands on rental cars.. Probably in the region of $6/7k.

This time I plan to get my license, buy a $3k convertible and insure it. At least i'll get some cash back at year end when i sell it!

So whats the step to step guide to getting your Florida license? Is there anything I can do here in the UK to speed the process when I get there.

How much is car insurance?
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

davidAW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Florida car license and car buying

Everything you need to know about getting a drivers licence is here - http://www.dmvflorida.org/driving-test.shtml

Car insurance costs an arm and a leg - if you have an accident and you don't have enough coverage (they don't get the "Fully Comprehensive" idea over here) then it will cost you an arm and a leg over the arm and a leg that you paid for the insurance in the first place! If you nudge into someone's bumper/fender here then chances are they will suddenly fall out of the car clutching their back/neck/leg and then sue you for an arm and a leg. My advice is to spend whatever it takes to get the best possible coverage - do not go with a State minimum company like "The General" or "Florida No-Fault" you will regret it later when you look at where your arm and leg used to be!

We have the best coverage we can find and for the year its just above $5000 in premiums and that's not the best available - its always a trade off but do not skimp on this!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're only spending 3k on a car you'll also need a budget for repairs!

The certainty of having a reliable car might mean the rental option isn't so bad after all.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Im sorry I swear I just read $5k for insurance.

3/4k will get me a 10yo Eclipse Spyder
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

The problem i was having with the license was the conflicting information from the DMV and http://www.gathergoget.com/.

Im guessing the best option is to treat this like I have never had a license before
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CityWalk
...... 3/4k will get me a 10yo Eclipse Spyder
Are you Mexican?
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Am I missing a joke here?

Anyway here's an example http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/3347430877.html
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yeah, $5k - but that's for my Wife and I and two cars so figure half of that maybe but remember, this is the most litigious society in the World and Insurance and Health Care are the most corrupt industries!

Forget anything else about getting your license and look at the DMV site - it does not matter whether you have a full licence anywhere else, you must take the written and driving tests - don't worry about the driving part though, half blind octogenarian's pass first time such is the ease of the test!

Currently its $48 for a new licence and that may include the test.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

And the reason for the price? The age and it has Apollo Moon shot mileage!
You will get jacked on the price of insurance with that as well.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Well a friend of mine has a his Echo at over 200 000 and has hardly any money in it. He lives in Clemont.
Another friend had a Jeep Cherokee and it had over 200 000 on the clock we took it from Orlando to Memphis. Down to Miami a few times. The keys etc. Used daily to and from work. Cost him $1500. A $h1t heap but got us from a-b
Im there for a year so I'm looking something cheap and cheerful and top down! I have driven 100k BMW's here in the UK no problem.
As long as its maintained well
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Fair do's - you can always find a good one. But to be safe, make sure your insurance policy also covers roadside assistance!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by davidAW
Fair do's - you can always find a good one. But to be safe, make sure your insurance policy also covers roadside assistance!
Oh i'll be taking that piece of advice lol! I couldn't count the number of cars abandoned on the I4

I did considering buying a motorcycle but with 4pm thunderstorms Even though I'll be at work at that time. Id rather just rent one every now again and not worry about it sitting in the rain having no garage
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

This may now be wrong but I seem to remember when I first came here (2002) that it was permitted to drive with your home country licence for a period up to one year - that may have changed now but in any event, I am sure that the Insurance company would charge big time in that scenario!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CityWalk
Am I missing a joke here?

Anyway here's an example http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/3347430877.html
Don't forget the small print at the bottom:

"Prices may not include additional fees such as government fees and taxes, title and registration fees, finance charges, dealer document preparation fees, processing fees, and emission testing and compliance charges."
Old Oct 18th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Neptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by davidAW
it does not matter whether you have a full licence anywhere else, you must take the written and driving tests
That's not correct:

Will you accept my out-of-state or out-of-country drivers license and not require me to take exams again to get my Florida License?

Exams Reciprocated

The road signs, road rules and driving (skills) exams are reciprocated if the applicant presents a driver license from any one of the following:

- One of the 50 United States, District of Columbia
- United States Territories
- Panama - if issued prior to January 1, 2000
- Canada*
- France
- South Korea
- United States Military
- Germany (reciprocates the driving exam only)
- Taiwan (reciprocates the driving exam only)
http://ffdhsmv.custhelp.com/app/answ...ver-license-to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.