Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida, California or UK?!

Florida, California or UK?!

Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Everyone talks about how expensive California is but just looking at RIght Move there is no way we could move back to the UK with the same lifestyle we have here. Last time I was back I was shocked at how much groceries cost, before you get into VAT! We lived in Canada before moving here and although the house purchase price was more, everything else has been less. Tax, living expenses. Overall we are much better off. If I say that to my American friends who have moved from other States they think I am crazy! Their consensus is that California is an expensive State to live in and most wouldn't consider retiring here for that reason. I guess it depends where you start from ,..

Originally Posted by Sportychico
if you read my original post I clearly state you need at least $1m to buy a nice home AND a business in California....for Florida you could get by with $700..nice home in decent part of Florida, near coast and business that makes comfortable Owner Benefit....so like everything it depends on YOUR own budget....If I had millions I would definitely have home in California, UK, Florida many other places.

$1m is not very much, nor is £1m....a nice detached home in Leamington Spa will set you back £600k.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

if you read my original post I clearly state you need at least $1m to buy a nice home AND a business in California....for Florida you could get by with $700..nice home in decent part of Florida, near coast and business that makes comfortable Owner Benefit....so like everything it depends on YOUR own budget....If I had millions I would definitely have home in California, UK, Florida many other places.
What you wrote and what you think you wrote are two different things though.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
ORIGINAL email...(I think a mention house..'home')

you need at least $1m to buy a semi decent home in a semi decent Californian location...plus enough to buy a decent business ...probably $1.5m actually...
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And that's a FACT.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it might be clearer if he wrote in sentences and used conventional punctuation. Of course even then it might still be gibberish, just grammatical gibberish!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And it would be helpful if he was...errr...helpful.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
And that's a FACT.
sure is chap......Bob should read post fully before making inaccurate comments.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

$1m is not very much, nor is £1m....a nice detached home in Leamington Spa will set you back £600k.
ORIGINAL email...(I think a mention house..'home')

you need at least $1m to buy a semi decent home in a semi decent Californian location...plus enough to buy a decent business ...probably $1.5m actually...
sure is chap......Bob should read post fully before making inaccurate comments.
From the two red sections, it seems you aren't even saying the same thing in two consecutive posts.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

From the two red sections, it seems you aren't even saying the same thing in two consecutive posts.
<snip>

Original question was about UK, California, Florida....it depends on budget and what you want....as stated $1m won't get you far in California...a half decent business will set you back at least $375k....as for homes it depends where....money goes further in Florida as its cheaper...'simples' ....

As for UK, the lady is correct...its very expensive (£600k for a half decent home where I live...110 miles north of London)....not forgetting the overcrowding, cant find a car parking space at supermarket and my favourite 'fact' ..the glorious weather...

Last edited by Bob; Mar 4th 2014 at 8:13 pm. Reason: uncalled for.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:01 pm
Ping-ponger

<snip>

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX ...
OK, just ignore the fact I was right if it's convenient for you.

[You do realise that when you start a post like that, people don't even read past the first line, don't you?]

Last edited by Bob; Mar 4th 2014 at 8:14 pm. Reason: follow up edit
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Something just sucks the energy from these forums.

(And what is this "kok" thing. Could that be construed as a personal attack in violation of the posting rules? Or is it a self reference?)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

OK, just ignore the fact I was right if it's convenient for you.

[You do realise that when you start a post like that, people don't even read past the first line, don't you?]
but you're not right....the second post was sent after responses to first post ...$1.5m is more realistic...that's for where I would want to live....so yes you need $1m for sure but more like $1.5m to buy a decent home and business in decent area in California...no contradiction my friend.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:07 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather live in any other state in the country than Florida.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:08 pm
Ping-ponger

but you're not right....the second post was sent after responses to first post ...$1.5m is more realistic...that's for where I would want to live....so yes you need $1m for sure but more like $1.5m to buy a decent home and business in decent area in California...no contradiction my friend.
Now, who's being pedantic?

Quit your whining and stop obsessing.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Now, who's being pedantic?

Quit your whining and stop obsessing.
just correcting you and Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.