Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flights to UK - avoiding London airports

Flights to UK - avoiding London airports

Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flights to UK - avoiding London airports

I would do pretty much anything to avoid Newark, my worst US airport transfer.

They probably do not advertise Bristol in US as judging by my experience of USC's geography none would know where it was or what country it was in.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:42 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Ain't that the truth. Looks all pretty in the glass international terminal. Then you sit around in the ghetto domestic terminal with the kiosk full of half-eaten sandwiches and the roof dripping on your head....

They probably do not advertise Bristol in US as judging by my experience of USC's geography none would know where it was or what country it was in.
Near London.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I'd Say Logon-Boston....people say it's nice, but I've yet to have a hassle free experience, nor anyone I know-family/friends...know people that prefer flying into montreal, there both a 5 hour drive to maine, but at least there polite in Montreal...
Old Jun 17th 2005, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone connected through Atlanta, my mum lands there in 2 hours and she's only got 2 hours between flights, methinks she won't make it, are they organized?
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Anyone connected through Atlanta, my mum lands there in 2 hours and she's only got 2 hours between flights, methinks she won't make it, are they organized?
If she misses the connection, she ain't far from Rincewind
Old Jun 18th 2005, 4:01 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Nobody has ever been able to make transatlantic flights viable from Stansted, which always surprised me. I think American were the last to try. I think an ex BA executive is starting a business class only service to New York via Stansted later this year.
I would love to fly to and from Stansted, my parents are in Essex. But the only direct flights from Chicago always go to Heathrow. It's a pain in the bum and I'm more than positive they're all in cahoots.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 3:16 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Did she make the connection? Anyway she must be there now. Say hello and welcome.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Flights to UK - avoiding London airports

Does anyone know of any other way to get from Pittsburgh to Birmingham - apart from Continental?

I know with Continental I need to change at Newark NJ, so if I needed to change elsewhere, thats fine by me!

Thank you!
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Flights to UK - avoiding London airports

Originally Posted by DEE_UK
Does anyone know of any other way to get from Pittsburgh to Birmingham - apart from Continental?

I know with Continental I need to change at Newark NJ, so if I needed to change elsewhere, thats fine by me!

Thank you!
Probably not unless you're willing to travel to either another regional airport in the US or another UK airport. Continental has the two daily non-stop flights between BHX and EWR (which it codeshares with the Jersey based airline FlyBe) and it's the only service to the US from that airport.

On the other hand, I do know that a lot of passengers coming from the UK regions also fly with the Dutch airline KLM as it can often be cheaper (not always though) than flying directly and I do know of people flying from BHX to Newark via Amsterdam. Other people fly from Birmingham to the US with Lufthansa via Frankfurt, or Air France via Paris. I have no idea which airlines fly out of Pittsburgh but if I get time later or tomorrow I'll see if there are any alternatives.

http://www.bhx.co.uk/page.aspx?type=...d=FeLzRugRwjw=

http://www.bhx.co.uk

Continental seems to have chosen to fly into the UK regional airports because they just can't get the jewel in the crown....landing rights at Heathrow. I think US airlines landing at LHR are limited to American and United Airlines only, with British carriers Virgin Atlantic, BA and British Midland flying into the US from LHR.

One idea I've thought of:

There is a special fare promotion on right now with US Airways. You would need to get fly from a different US airport than Pittsburgh (Philly for instance?)

http://www.usairways.com/pro/specials/gla_sale.htm

The cheap fares are into Glasgow....you could then just buy a cheap ticket with FlyBe (GLA-BHX....of course they codeshare with Continental too!) and British Airways & Air France....don't think your checked in baggage would be interlined to your final destination though (unless going Continental/FlyBe via Glasgow if the fare is cheaper than via BHX) Here's a selection of flights and prices found through skyscanner.net:

http://www.skyscanner.net/day/gla/bh...p-flights.html

Or you could fly to Chicago and take the British Midland flights (not sure where they fly to from Chicago....here's their website:

http://www.flybmi.com

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 18th 2005 at 10:29 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEE_UK

Thank you!
US Air possibly via Philly.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:18 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

What about into Dublin and then taking a cheap connector over to Brum?
Btw, as much as I dislike CDG and AF, I was impressed by Flybe with their 1 hr flight from CDG to BHX and serving a meal!!!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Flights to UK - avoiding London airports

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Probably not unless you're willing to travel to either another regional airport in the US or another UK airport. Continental has the two daily non-stop flights between BHX and EWR (which it codeshares with the Jersey based airline FlyBe) and it's the only service to the US from that airport.

On the other hand, I do know that a lot of passengers coming from the UK regions also fly with the Dutch airline KLM as it can often be cheaper (not always though) than flying directly and I do know of people flying from BHX to Newark via Amsterdam. Other people fly from Birmingham to the US with Lufthansa via Frankfurt, or Air France via Paris. I have no idea which airlines fly out of Pittsburgh but if I get time later or tomorrow I'll see if there are any alternatives.

http://www.bhx.co.uk/page.aspx?type=...d=FeLzRugRwjw=

http://www.bhx.co.uk

Continental seems to have chosen to fly into the UK regional airports because they just can't get the jewel in the crown....landing rights at Heathrow. I think US airlines landing at LHR are limited to American and United Airlines only, with British carriers Virgin Atlantic, BA and British Midland flying into the US from LHR.

One idea I've thought of:

There is a special fare promotion on right now with US Airways. You would need to get fly from a different US airport than Pittsburgh (Philly for instance?)

http://www.usairways.com/pro/specials/gla_sale.htm

The cheap fares are into Glasgow....you could then just buy a cheap ticket with FlyBe (GLA-BHX....of course they codeshare with Continental too!) and British Airways & Air France....don't think your checked in baggage would be interlined to your final destination though (unless going Continental/FlyBe via Glasgow if the fare is cheaper than via BHX) Here's a selection of flights and prices found through skyscanner.net:

http://www.skyscanner.net/day/gla/bh...p-flights.html

Or you could fly to Chicago and take the British Midland flights (not sure where they fly to from Chicago....here's their website:

http://www.flybmi.com
You are fantastic Englishmum... Thank you for all this information.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Manc and cindyabs - thank you for your replies too...

With NWA - if I fly from PIT to BHX - I have to change at Detriot and Amsterdam. The whole travelling expereince is a lot longer, and so is the cost - $1520

The Continental flight from PIT to BHX, changing at Newark is $940

At least I know now, that comparison wise, Continental is the better option in terms of price and the number of stops. I have flown with them before, via another connection when I was in Ohio.

I shall continue looking to see what I can find.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 1:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Actually we'll be wending our way across the pond ourselves in the next 2 months-may fly into Brum or out of London or whatever. In the past I've flown in and out of Gatwick or Heathrow and just taken the train up, or into MAN and taken train-it all depended on who had the best deals into where. Flexibility is the name of the game.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Did she make the connection? Anyway she must be there now. Say hello and welcome.
thanks, yes they made it, no problems at all, they flew with Delta and said they were brilliant all the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.