Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flights and International Movers - Help please

Flights and International Movers - Help please

Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

JBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really nice
Default Flights and International Movers - Help please

Does anyone know of places to get cheap flights from LAX or san Diego to London ?
Also does anyone have any recommendations for movers to get our stuff from SO Cal to the UK in a crate ?
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights and International Movers - Help please

If you want to pack a crate of box yourself have a look at http://www.upackweship.com/index.php
Dh and I are thinking of using the u-crates.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBYoung6
Does anyone know of places to get cheap flights from LAX or san Diego to London ?
Also does anyone have any recommendations for movers to get our stuff from SO Cal to the UK in a crate ?
I think the flight discount websites nowadays are all fairly similar. Personally I always use Kayak as they give you the upfront final price which is all I care about. I don't really care to have my flight divided up into taxes and fare as it makes no difference it has to be paid. Kayak also gives links to other discounters and main airline sites. I just got $819 r/trip from LA to London via Air New Zealand, or $464 one way which I think are pretty fair prices.

Sd to London is always going to be mor as you only have BA for a direct flight all the rest route through LA.

A friend left last year and used Upakweship and they were on a pretty tight budget and researched carefully.

Good luck
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:32 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Klm is generally the cheapest from lax to London. It's also sometimes cheaper to pay for a ticket to New York and a separate one on to London.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Before buying from the cheaper flight sites, I also check the flight price through the airline itself. I found a few times over the year that it knocked a bit off my costs, but not always. Some discount sites don't include the taxes in the price quote and that pretty much doubles the price.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:51 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Before buying from the cheaper flight sites, I also check the flight price through the airline itself. I found a few times over the year that it knocked a bit off my costs, but not always. Some discount sites don't include the taxes in the price quote and that pretty much doubles the price.
I second this, i've actually gone to British Airways site and see there direct non-stop prices cheaper than delta at times.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Mirri45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving from SD to UK in March too - please let me know what you find! I've sent out a tonne of emails to excess baggage and shipping companies but with only 2/3 boxes the best quote so far is $750 S
do you have a whole crate full or a partial load? 'cause that makes a big difference in your options it seems..
Good Luck!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:18 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mirri45 I'd ask at the local FedEx and UPS store for prices if all you have is a couple of boxes.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

JBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really niceJBYoung6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mirri45
I'm moving from SD to UK in March too - please let me know what you find! I've sent out a tonne of emails to excess baggage and shipping companies but with only 2/3 boxes the best quote so far is $750 S
do you have a whole crate full or a partial load? 'cause that makes a big difference in your options it seems..
Good Luck!
I think $750 is the best you'll get for waht you need. I received a quote for a 20' container door to door from Murrieta CA to Dorset Uk $5400.00, with upackweship
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ldollard
I second this, i've actually gone to British Airways site and see there direct non-stop prices cheaper than delta at times.
Aire New Zealand are quoting 1 way from LAX to LHR around $650 -$700 for summertime this year
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Air New Zealand -- sorry
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by JBYoung6
I think $750 is the best you'll get for waht you need. I received a quote for a 20' container door to door from Murrieta CA to Dorset Uk $5400.00, with upackweship
20 foot container is huge, are you taking everything back?
W probably only need about 300-400sqft
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:59 am
Just Joined

MKGIRLINSB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have just booked some super cheap flights (one way) from LAX to LHR for September with Air NewZealand! I had done loads of research including using airmiles, round trip tickets etc and ANZ were £1000's cheaper!!
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MKGIRLINSB
Hi, I have just booked some super cheap flights (one way) from LAX to LHR for September with Air NewZealand! I had done loads of research including using airmiles, round trip tickets etc and ANZ were £1000's cheaper!!
Will be booking my eldest daughters one way return ticket this evening for July 2nd - Cost $673.00. She can't wait to leave So Cal and get over there
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
20 foot container is huge, are you taking everything back?
W probably only need about 300-400sqft
Not everything but quite a bit. We have 4 kids - so bikes and all their stuff equates to a lot of stuff. When we moved to So Cal from the UK 12 years ago we had a 20' container

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.