Reload this Page >

On the flight from UK to USA

On the flight from UK to USA

Old Feb 16th 2021, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Mcnab182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On the flight from UK to USA

Hello
I am currently in the process of applying for K1 visa (I am at the NOA2 stage) and I was thinking about everything I need to do before I move.

Whilst thinking about what to do with my stuff, I remembered from my many previous visits I've always had to declare everything I'm bringing and leaving in the USA when I stay (gifts and such). They give me a form to fill in on the plane, I'm assuming this is still the same or similar (it's a year since I last visited as a tourist)

My question is, when I finally travel on my one way ticket with the K-1, do I still need to declare everything that will be staying in the USA? OBVIOUSLY everything I bring will be staying in the USA because I'm not going back home. Just curious to how that works

Thanks in advance for any help/info​​

Last edited by Mcnab182; Feb 16th 2021 at 9:11 am.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the flight from UK to USA

On my many many trips to the US, I don't think I ever declared anything. Didn't really occur to me

Anyway...

The form is pretty clear, and does not have exemptions for anything at all that a resident or visitor is bringing to the US permanently. So yes, declare it all.

You might want to consider forward shipping anything and everything that you can. I moved to the US with only 1 suitcase, having shipped everything here before the move.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My recollection is that second hand goods and immigrating you get a pass, forget how old they have to be. Bring a load of stuff fresh in box and you may be questioned but what would that be?
Old Feb 16th 2021, 3:39 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t recall what I had to declare when I moved, I did not ship anything.

the best place to look up customs rules is probably CBP.gov....

What is the process to move my used household goods and personal effects into the United States?

Feb 6, 2021Knowledge”

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
Old Feb 16th 2021, 4:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mcnab182
Hello
I am currently in the process of applying for K1 visa (I am at the NOA2 stage) and I was thinking about everything I need to do before I move.

Whilst thinking about what to do with my stuff, I remembered from my many previous visits I've always had to declare everything I'm bringing and leaving in the USA when I stay (gifts and such). They give me a form to fill in on the plane, I'm assuming this is still the same or similar (it's a year since I last visited as a tourist)

My question is, when I finally travel on my one way ticket with the K-1, do I still need to declare everything that will be staying in the USA? OBVIOUSLY everything I bring will be staying in the USA because I'm not going back home. Just curious to how that works

Are you talking about a suitcase full of personal possessions, or shipping boxes of things? I would bring books and records in my suitcase, a few at a time amongst clothes and other personal stuff, and they were of no interest to customs.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought 2 pedal bikes, separate trips.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mcnab182
Hello

What are you taking on the plane with you?. If personal things in a suitcase they don't need to be declared anyway. If over 10K in cash, better to declare it.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If over 10K in cash, better to declare it.
Not just "better to", you must.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Not just "better to", you must.

.... should have put a smiley after my 'jokey' comment .......