Reload this Page >

Flight Chaos!

Flight Chaos!

Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Nappster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flight Chaos!

Hey,

I'm a Brit Expat based in LA. I was booked to fly back to LHR this afternoon but with all the delays and bad weather, it's looking increasingly like I'm spending the holidays here instead!

Does anyone know anything about airfare refunds?

Virgin Atlantic cancelled my flight LAX-LHR this afternoon so I'm assuming this entitles me to a refund for this (the return) portion of my ticket?

Although I've heard that airlines only give you their chunk of the fare back and make it very painful with red tape for you to reclaim the taxes back, so they can keep them..

Does anyone have any experience with this?!

Thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Chaos!

Originally Posted by Nappster
Hey,

I'm a Brit Expat based in LA. I was booked to fly back to LHR this afternoon but with all the delays and bad weather, it's looking increasingly like I'm spending the holidays here instead!

Does anyone know anything about airfare refunds?

Virgin Atlantic cancelled my flight LAX-LHR this afternoon so I'm assuming this entitles me to a refund for this (the return) portion of my ticket?

Although I've heard that airlines only give you their chunk of the fare back and make it very painful with red tape for you to reclaim the taxes back, so they can keep them..

Does anyone have any experience with this?!

Thanks.
If all you wants a refund dont even bother trying to call Virgin yet, my sons flight was cancelled on Saturday morning and he's spent all weekend on the phone to them, on hold in a queue. Managed to get a flight out on Christmas Eve, but to get out any earlier changing from SFO to LAX they wanted to charge us $3000!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As this is weather-related they can offer you another ticket on another day, but if you don't take it you are not entitled to a refund automatically as I think the law has a 'weather' clause. Whether the airlines give you one or not depends on their current customer affairs sentiment (i.e. since this is a big storm they might do some refunds for PR reasons and for logistics reasons--to free up more seats on the remaining planes).

Many airlines have opted to issue refunds in this circumstance:

http://airtravel.about.com/b/2010/12...e-policies.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ur-rights.html

Last edited by penguinsix; Dec 20th 2010 at 6:32 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:53 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Refunds!

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com:80/en...ion.jsp?ckck=1
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:15 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I flights to Germany got canceled last Xmas due to snow at Philly. Lufthansa offered to rebook or provide a full refund. We had to chase them for weeks for the refund - they said the department that dealt with refunds was busy/behind.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW two flights from LAX to LHR landed about half an hour ago (yes, at LHR!), one UAL; the other BAW. Heathrow is still chaotic as only one runway is open and most of the parking stands are either iced up and unusable, or occupied by aircraft going nowhere, or both. Flights that do make it are likely to be full with a long wait list, quite possibly with priority for elderly, those with young children, or otherwise in more need of a flight than the average person.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Snow travel chaos: Your rights

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12038224
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you had travel insurance, it'd be easy to get your money back...but hindsight...