Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Thats exactly how i would feel, if anyone harmed someone I loved. I would want the person to suffer as much pain as possible...

I like you.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

For those who are not conversant with the mans crime it is as simple as this.He was responsible for murdering a topless bar waitress 27 YEARS AGO.As I said previously,justice takes too long.No one is argueing that he didnt do it just that the medical staff alledgely put the injections through his veins which resulted in the fluids taking longer to act.As for the alledged 'Grimace'on his face,that was probably the nerves relaxing,as he paased away.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:49 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I like you.
How ya doin girl? You manage to get some more xmas decorations up?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
How ya doin girl? You manage to get some more xmas decorations up?
Nope...this weekend hopefully. Hubby's been away...I need his help to get the trees up from the basement.

How's life treating you....have you finished all that studying yet?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:59 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Nope...this weekend hopefully. Hubby's been away...I need his help to get the trees up from the basement.

How's life treating you....have you finished all that studying yet?
For this semester Get to do it all over again in 3 wks, the joy. I'm doing good, waiting for my math professor to post my grade, so I have em all. Enjoying being as lazy as possible for now.

How many xmas decorations do you have? My husband balked at me saying i would be putting lights up outside when we get a house, really need a better way of training him
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:59 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
I asked his occupation as to judge his knowledge of the act of murder and its resulting aftermath.Intelligence consists of known facts to express an opinion.On location, the south side, but worked the biggest shith*les all my service.
Unfortunately it's all too often apparent (and for some strange reason more abundantly so on BE) that those that have the most sympathies for serious criminals are those that have never either A) Suffered at the hands of one or B) Had to deal with the aftermath of the human suffering such criminals leave in their wake.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a good idea to leave them in a room with the relatives of the victims. That's what I would want if anyone harmed my daughter....and yes it would be extremely slow and extremely painful.
I think that in many ways this would be more "humane" than a calculated killing by the government. It's certainly the way it would have gone before the arrival of modern forms of government.

The death penalty is NOT a deterrent. If you want research.... I'll go look for it, but I have done previous reading on the subject in the past.

I am uncomfortable with the death penalty because it is used in Texas as a bragging right by politicians and county attorneys -- how many have YOU convicted and had executed? There have been people convicted of capital murder who were later exonerated by DNA evidence or witness testimony. There are KNOWN cases of massive corruption of the pardons and parole process (most notably in Louisiana, see Edwin Edwards) and our lovely 5th Circuit ruling that an attorney who SLEPT during his defendant's trial provided satisfactory representation.

Under these circumstances I cannot support the death penalty.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
My intelligence is fine thanks, yours I have doubts about, seeing as you need to flaunt it so much.

I don't think Dogbyte meant to you offend with his remarks.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Unfortunately it's all too often apparent (and for some strange reason more abundantly so on BE) that those that have the most sympathies for serious criminals are those that have never either A) Suffered at the hands of one or B) Had to deal with the aftermath of the human suffering such criminals leave in their wake.
I think that this sort of serious crime affects relatively few people (thank God).

However, there are some victim families who have asked that the killer be spared the death penalty. Individual rational, emotional and religious beliefs influence everyone's stance on the death penalty.

FWIW my cousin is an assistant DA in Harris County (Houston) and will not try death penalty cases as she is opposed and remains opposed to the death penalty even after seeing some of the worst killings imaginable.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:21 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think that this sort of serious crime affects relatively few people (thank God).

However, there are some victim families who have asked that the killer be spared the death penalty. Individual rational, emotional and religious beliefs influence everyone's stance on the death penalty.

FWIW my cousin is an assistant DA in Harris County (Houston) and will not try death penalty cases as she is opposed and remains opposed to the death penalty even after seeing some of the worst killings imaginable.
You misunderstand me....I mean those that in general are sympathetic to serious criminals have had no involvement with the aftermath of their deeds.

For relatives it is sometimes better to take the moral high ground as this can provide comfort.

The death penalty is a seperate issue.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:24 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we should stun them first 3-4 12 bores should do the trick.

FWIW all the laws are there as a deterant so we should abolish all laws? I think all these pieces of shit should get a fair trial before they're hanged. Just one though.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I think that in many ways this would be more "humane" than a calculated killing by the government. It's certainly the way it would have gone before the arrival of modern forms of government.

The death penalty is NOT a deterrent. If you want research.... I'll go look for it, but I have done previous reading on the subject in the past.

I am uncomfortable with the death penalty because it is used in Texas as a bragging right by politicians and county attorneys -- how many have YOU convicted and had executed? There have been people convicted of capital murder who were later exonerated by DNA evidence or witness testimony. There are KNOWN cases of massive corruption of the pardons and parole process (most notably in Louisiana, see Edwin Edwards) and our lovely 5th Circuit ruling that an attorney who SLEPT during his defendant's trial provided satisfactory representation.

Under these circumstances I cannot support the death penalty.
As you seem to agree with Jerseygirl's response to a slow and painful death then, maybe, we should have Public Stonings for the relatives to taker part in. that would, then not be under Government control.As for the US justice system, I cannot comment on individual cases as I havent followed them.I have helped convict Murderers (6) personally but as we no longer have the D/P.As for research into these matters, figures mean nothing.In the UK, the figures will say that Murder statistics have actually gone down justifying the abolishment of the D/P.However the stats for manslaughter have gone through the roof and the basic reason is money.To run a full murder trial it costs thousands whereas a guilty plea to Manslaughter costs little.The results are shorter sentences for a lesser deamed crime thus not clogging up prisons with long term prisoners. There will always be instants where miscarriages of justice occur but a judge and jury have to be convinced to convict and then an appeals court to adjudicate on appeal. I applaud your stance but I beg to differ, as it would appear others do.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:30 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
However the stats for manslaughter have gone through the roof and the basic reason is money.To run a full murder trial it costs thousands whereas a guilty plea to Manslaughter costs little.The results are shorter sentences for a lesser deamed crime thus not clogging up prisons with long term prisoners. There will always be instants where miscarriages of justice occur but a judge and jury have to be convinced to convict and then an appeals court to adjudicate on appeal. I applaud your stance but I beg to differ, as it would appear others do.
This is also an issue here (the finances) but there is a definite bloodthirst in Texas to go for the death penalty, so the voters are willing to stand the cost. For a murder to "qualify" for the death penalty, it must have some aggravating circumstance ("capital murder") eg murder in concert with other crime, usually robbery or rape, murder of a police officer/other emergency worker, or a child under five -- the laws can change, but the essence is that there are a few categories of "protected people." People murder all the time and don't qualify and as in Manchester, they cop a plea and get out early on "good time" and go right back and murder again.

So we get BOTH: death penalty and serial murderers let out of prison.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is also an issue here (the finances) but there is a definite bloodthirst in Texas to go for the death penalty, so the voters are willing to stand the cost. For a murder to "qualify" for the death penalty, it must have some aggravating circumstance ("capital murder") eg murder in concert with other crime, usually robbery or rape, murder of a police officer/other emergency worker, or a child under five -- the laws can change, but the essence is that there are a few categories of "protected people." People murder all the time and don't qualify and as in Manchester, they cop a plea and get out early on "good time" and go right back and murder again.

So we get BOTH: death penalty and serial murderers let out of prison.
So maybe we go back to the old days,as I personally dont see the destinction in any form of Murder. Simply Malice aforethought - take a life. Death Penalty. No excuses.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/nation...ylist=national

Gov. Jeb Bush suspended all executions in Florida after a medical examiner said Friday that prison officials botched the insertion of the needles when a convicted killer was put to death earlier this week.

Separately, a federal judge in California extended a moratorium on executions in the nation's most populous state, declaring that the state's method of lethal injection violates the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel ruled in San Jose that California's "implementation of lethal injection is broken, but it can be fixed."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.