Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Five go on an adventure

Five go on an adventure

Old Oct 23rd 2018, 8:32 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Owen778's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK, USA
Posts: 1,292
Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Five go on an adventure

So, my life this year has been an interesting one. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it here at all, but I was laid off at the end of April, after my company sold a big package of assets. I went to a few job interviews over the following months, but nothing ultimately came of them. I did pick up some good contracting work for a couple of months, but that finished in August. Me being free left us able to do this, though:





Yes, we've just moved from Texas to Anchorage, AK, with my wife's work. I'll be driving kids to and from school and keeping the house running for a while, but I will be looking for work in my field too. It's going to be cold and sometimes challenging, but we're all looking forward to it. The first snow is probably coming next week.
Owen778 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 9:30 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,018
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Wow what a large move in every sense of it
tom169 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 10:27 pm
  #3  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,724
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

I envy you the move. Alaska is a beautiful state, regardless of the weather, and Anchorage is one of the major cities. Enjoy the change and I'm sure you will be a great cook and bottle washer for the family until you find employment.
Rete is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2018, 6:33 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Owen778's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK, USA
Posts: 1,292
Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I envy you the move. Alaska is a beautiful state, regardless of the weather, and Anchorage is one of the major cities. Enjoy the change and I'm sure you will be a great cook and bottle washer for the family until you find employment.
Thanks Rete,

Yes, it's beautiful, and it's great to be somewhere less flat. The school for the younger two is nestled up close to the edge of the mountains above the city, and the sunrise after I dropped them off on Monday was a great welcome.

And I'm OK with not working for a while. It gives me time to help everyone settle in, and there's plenty to explore when I'm not keeping the household running.
Owen778 is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2018, 7:49 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,714
Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
Thanks Rete,

Yes, it's beautiful, and it's great to be somewhere less flat. The school for the younger two is nestled up close to the edge of the mountains above the city, and the sunrise after I dropped them off on Monday was a great welcome.

And I'm OK with not working for a while. It gives me time to help everyone settle in, and there's plenty to explore when I'm not keeping the household running.
Wow - Congratulations, I'm sure it'll be a great experience.
Orangepants is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2018, 8:54 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Near Lynchburg Tennessee, home of Jack Daniels
Posts: 715
ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Owen
Bold move and certainly a major change of scenery. I made it to Alaska a few times doing Navy Reserve Duty. We just passed thru Anchorage on the way to remote sites along Bering Sea. I and probably many others would be interested in hearing more about your adventure as it unfolds.
ddsrph is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2018, 9:16 pm
  #7  
Peace onion
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,686
Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Oh, man, I'm sorry. Arkansas sucks. Keep your chins up, things'll turn around soon.
Octang Frye is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:29 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
zzrmark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Palmetto, Florida
Posts: 2,399
zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
Oh, man, I'm sorry. Arkansas sucks. Keep your chins up, things'll turn around soon.
So does the OP's SatNav device if it took him through Arkansas!
zzrmark is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2018, 2:54 am
  #9  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,327
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
So, my life this year has been an interesting one. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it here at all, but I was laid off at the end of April, after my company sold a big package of assets. I went to a few job interviews over the following months, but nothing ultimately came of them. I did pick up some good contracting work for a couple of months, but that finished in August. Me being free left us able to do this, though:





Yes, we've just moved from Texas to Anchorage, AK, with my wife's work. I'll be driving kids to and from school and keeping the house running for a while, but I will be looking for work in my field too. It's going to be cold and sometimes challenging, but we're all looking forward to it. The first snow is probably coming next week.
You mean you're running away from Houston crazy weather. From all the chemical plants. From the flat ugly scenery. From the humidity and the mosquitoes. From the hurricanes and the flooding.

And you are happy to leave? Wow, you gave up the Texas life for somewhere else. Really there is no pleasing some people!

Seriously, I am totally envious and really pleased for your new adventure. Well done that man ( and his family)
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2018, 6:02 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Owen778's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK, USA
Posts: 1,292
Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
Owen
Bold move and certainly a major change of scenery. I made it to Alaska a few times doing Navy Reserve Duty. We just passed thru Anchorage on the way to remote sites along Bering Sea. I and probably many others would be interested in hearing more about your adventure as it unfolds.
Thanks, it's all going well so far. It's unseasonably warm this year, so we've arrived before the first snow, which will most likely come on Sunday or next week. The kids have had no break from school, and that seems to be working well. We're going to have them try out skiing and/or snowboarding and sledging over the winter, but we won't be exploring the rest of the state much until spring arrives.
Owen778 is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2018, 6:13 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Owen778's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK, USA
Posts: 1,292
Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
You mean you're running away from Houston crazy weather. From all the chemical plants. From the flat ugly scenery. From the humidity and the mosquitoes. From the hurricanes and the flooding.

And you are happy to leave? Wow, you gave up the Texas life for somewhere else. Really there is no pleasing some people!

Seriously, I am totally envious and really pleased for your new adventure. Well done that man ( and his family)
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Honestly though, we were pretty lucky with where we were in Houston. We lived in one of the nicest parts of the suburbs, with lakes and trees and plenty of walking paths. Harvey didn't flood any of the houses in our own neighbourhood, though it did hit many places along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek in other parts of Cypress, some only a couple of miles to the north. And the chemical plants are all much closer to the coast and the Ship Channel.

That said, I won't miss the flat terrain, or the humidity and mosquitoes, or the hundreds of identikit strip malls, or the highway traffic.

Alaska is going to be amazing in many ways, but the winter is going to be very dark and very cold. Time will tell if that becomes a problem.
Owen778 is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2018, 6:59 pm
  #12  
Often not so civil...
 
civilservant's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Boonies, GA
Posts: 7,653
civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

This is one move that you'll have to keep us up to date with - I think most of us have considered Alaska at one point or another.
civilservant is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2018, 1:02 am
  #13  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,724
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Honestly though, we were pretty lucky with where we were in Houston. We lived in one of the nicest parts of the suburbs, with lakes and trees and plenty of walking paths. Harvey didn't flood any of the houses in our own neighbourhood, though it did hit many places along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek in other parts of Cypress, some only a couple of miles to the north. And the chemical plants are all much closer to the coast and the Ship Channel.

That said, I won't miss the flat terrain, or the humidity and mosquitoes, or the hundreds of identikit strip malls, or the highway traffic.

Alaska is going to be amazing in many ways, but the winter is going to be very dark and very cold. Time will tell if that becomes a problem.
You've not escaped mosquitos or black flies, unfortunately. They are bred even bigger in Alaska, I understand.
Rete is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2018, 5:21 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 48
davenay67 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Good luck on the move!

That's quite a change in weather, the heat of Texas to the cold of Alaska.
davenay67 is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2018, 8:45 pm
  #15  
Peace onion
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,686
Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
Good luck on the move!

That's quite a change in weather, the heat of Texas to the cold of Alaska.
AK is Arkansas, not Alaska; that's AL. Dumasses in this thread.
Octang Frye is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.