Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Old Jul 22nd 2017, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

I think I'd melt in the Phoenix heat - too hot for too long for my liking.

A friend retired from the Bay Area to Flagstaff a couple of years ago and it's going well for her. Bought a really nice property there for a fraction of prices here, and quickly got involved in hiking groups and cultural activities in the Flagstaff area. Downside for me would be it's quite a drive to Phoenix Airport.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Same here, living in Fremont. Going into San Francisco is more of a drag that it is a pleasure these days. We pretty much only go there when we have to.

I want to leave the Bay Area but that has to wait until the wife quits work, and our youngest kid graduates from high school. The wife also want to see where our oldest kid ends up living.

This past few days I've been researching Eugene, OR which looks surprisingly attractive.
Originally Posted by johnwoo
I'm retired so I can go anywhere at any time, the trouble is, in spite of everything I kind of like it here, it's just that even a day or weekend out of town seems not worth the effort.
I'm retired too. But the transportation issues are killing me. And the cost of living is much bigger issue on a fixed retirement income. Mortgage is nearly done but property taxes are a killer. And it's not just housing...

Someone crunched the bumper of my daughter's car. She's currently out in Phoenix where a major body shop based their quote on $40/hr labor. Similar body shop here: $160/hr. That was an eye-opener for me.

Moving away would produce a materially higher standard of living for us. And as a bonus I kiss goodbye to I-680. That's not just a freeway problem anymore. It backs up onto the Fremont city streets frequently, to the point of gridlock.
Yes I have to agree with all that, I feel the same way. I'm financially OK in that my house is paid for and property taxes under prop 13 keep it reasonable. House prices are so high at the moment I could bag a few 100K if I moved to a cheaper area. The big question is where to go?
I'm really not sure how long Prop 13 protection will last. A lot of people (many with clout) are itching to get rid of it.

The quality of life is much lower than it was when I moved here in 1992.
But, yeah, it's not easy picking an alternative. I'm struggling with that. Climate is a big factor as is being reasonably close to a city with some art, culture, amenities. I also want to avoid cities which are growing fast -- that always drives up the cost of living and infrastructure (esp. transport) tends to lag seriously behind population growth (esp. in CA). Don't want to go back to square one in 5 years.
It's also true in Pleasanton and Dublin, these spaces have become fewer and don't get there by 10:05. People are waiting for them long before 10:00am Someone told me the get there between 9:30am and 9:45 and sit in the car until 10:00am Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I don't want to have to fight for a parking place. Just another hassle of living in an overcrowded area.
Having lived in the area since 1970 I find the quality of life has deteriorated to a point of almost intolerable. Perhaps because I'm judging it from what it was to what it has now become.
Originally Posted by Steerpike
As much as I defend BART, and love so much about the Bay Area, I'm probably bailing on the Bay Area for good pretty soon due to the unbelievable cost of real estate, coupled with the overcrowding / traffic situation. I've had a place in Scottsdale, AZ, for several years and I think it is time to make that my permanent home. I love it there, and don't mind the heat. For most people, the heat is a killer, though.
Some close friends of mine made the same move from Menlo Park to Scottsdale. They've been very happy although they travel a lot (I mean a LOT) so they get frequent breaks from the summer heat.
I lived/worked in Scottsdale as my primary residence from 2009 to 2013, but I negotiated a deal where I got one week per month back in the Bay Area (they offered a relocation deal, I countered with a commitment to fly me home each month, which they accepted - I still had my house in CA). I loved it in Scottsdale but I did appreciate the trips out, especially during summer.

But now, I'm not working full time, and with the substantial money I will save being in AZ, making trips out of the area during summer will not break the bank. I've been here in Scottsdale for the past 3 weeks now, with temps over 100 every single day, and I'm perfectly ok with it; I went hiking one evening when it was 111F - my highest recorded hike temp ever .

I spent last weekend looking at open houses. We found fantastic places for less than half the Bay Area costs.
I've created a new thread for 'Leaving the Bay Area' (http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post12300229) since we are taking this original thread off topic but I think it's a great topic to discuss. Hopefully we can continue this discussion in that thread and leave the OP to worry about her challenges here ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 22nd 2017 at 4:17 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

As the heatwave continues in the Bay Area (has it ever been this warm for this long? I don't remember!), it occurred to me that the OP could consider heading to Orinda for an afternoon break (since San Francisco has been ruled out by a few based on the unsuitability of BART ). I was in Orinda yesterday and it was in the 60s, while Concord was 100F. You don't even have to pass through the Caldecott Tunnel to get to Orinda, but it benefits from some of the cooling fog from the Bay. Rockridge is also worth a visit, and will be even cooler ... but that does require a drive through the tunnel which I'm assuming is beyond the OP's capabilities at the moment.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

As the heatwave continues in the Bay Area (has it ever been this warm for this long? I don't remember!), it occurred to me that the OP could consider heading to Orinda for an afternoon break (since San Francisco has been ruled out by a few based on the unsuitability of BART ). I was in Orinda yesterday and it was in the 60s, while Concord was 100F. You don't even have to pass through the Caldecott Tunnel to get to Orinda, but it benefits from some of the cooling fog from the Bay. Rockridge is also worth a visit, and will be even cooler ... but that does require a drive through the tunnel which I'm assuming is beyond the OP's capabilities at the moment.
Am I the OP? Lol...thanks for thinking for me ....what can I say ? The weather is a shock to my body ...I seriously miss the rain ....which I haven't seen it since I have arrived in US a month ago..... I have packed a umbrella from Uk with me , which is a total waste ...lol..
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 3:39 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, don't expect to see any rain before October.

Here in Fremont, we were at about 95 degrees yesterday. However, the real problem is the night time temperature which didn't fall below 70. Fortunately, that only happens on a few days each year.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S.Susan
Am I the OP? Lol...thanks for thinking for me ....what can I say ? The weather is a shock to my body ...I seriously miss the rain ....which I haven't seen it since I have arrived in US a month ago..... I have packed a umbrella from Uk with me , which is a total waste ...lol..
OP = Original Poster - the person who started the thread; so yes, you .

It will likely rain literally once or twice between now and October; it will be a light afternoon shower or maybe a thunderstorm. But other than that, you won't see any rain. I consider it to be a big positive but to each his own. Just so you know, we had record-breaking rain all through winter this past year, and it caused a lot of problems - mudslides, fallen trees, etc.

California rain: This rain season now ranks second all-time

According to the above site, CA got over 30 inches of rain in the winter period (not the whole year). And according to this site: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...cipitation.php - the UK gets around 30 inches per year (London around 23). According to this site, Pleasanton got over 30 inches of rain from Oct 2016 through April 2017. The previous winter, it got about half that.

If you find it too hot, you really will need to figure out how to find some cooler weather. Throughout summer, SF has legendary cold fog, and the temps can be in the 50s. That same fog tends to also cool the cities of Oakland, Berkeley, Sausalito, Daly City. And indirectly, it keeps places like San Mateo in the 70s (compared to 80s/90s where we are). So it's quite easy to find cooler weather ... but you are going to have to get in your car and drive, which you've said is a challenge for you. If I were you, I'd do everything possible to get over the driving concerns and get on the road and do some exploring. Even Orinda - which is a simple, short drive compared to the other places mentioned - will offer a cooler temperature.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:58 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

For cooler outdoor weather, try Tilden Park. There's a steam railway, carousel, and a small farm park which the kids will enjoy. There's also a lake with a beach area. You have to pay for entry to the beach, but it's not a huge sum.

Another good place for cooling off is Chabot Space & Science Center. It's good during the day time with lots of exhibits and a planetarium, but the best time (imo) is Friday/Saturday nights. Free entry to the 3 space telescopes (but the other exhibits are closed).

Both of these places are up in the Berkeley hills so it's a fair bit cooler both during the day and at night, with some amazing views over the SF Bay on the way up.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:02 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Summer of 2006 was a killer. I was in South San Jose with a small baby and no air conditioning. Spent most of that summer naked, as I recall.

Fun times.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wintersong
For cooler outdoor weather, try Tilden Park. There's a steam railway, carousel, and a small farm park which the kids will enjoy. There's also a lake with a beach area. You have to pay for entry to the beach, but it's not a huge sum.

Another good place for cooling off is Chabot Space & Science Center. It's good during the day time with lots of exhibits and a planetarium, but the best time (imo) is Friday/Saturday nights. Free entry to the 3 space telescopes (but the other exhibits are closed).

Both of these places are up in the Berkeley hills so it's a fair bit cooler both during the day and at night, with some amazing views over the SF Bay on the way up.
EXCELLENT advice, especially for someone with small children! I've only recently discovered both those areas through hiking expeditions. The hiking trails in the Redwood Regional Park, which border on Chabot, are perhaps my favorite trails in the whole Bay Area.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:39 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

EXCELLENT advice, especially for someone with small children! I've only recently discovered both those areas through hiking expeditions. The hiking trails in the Redwood Regional Park, which border on Chabot, are perhaps my favorite trails in the whole Bay Area.
I'm pretty sure they do nighttime hikes around the Chabot area as well

It rained this morning, btw. Quite a shocker!
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Crime on BART has been rising rather sharply but I certainly wouldn't claim that it's too dangerous to ride.

But it has become too unpleasant for some of us. The trains are crowded, noisy and dirty. Service reliability has been falling. Homeless people together with their urine and feces are not especially nice and neither is open drug use.

After years of increasing ridership, BART started into a decline last summer with increased complaints and fewer riders.

I need to get to SFO next week. I live a little over a mile from a BART station so it should be the natural choice. It's cheap at ~$12. But it takes 2-2.5 hours. SuperShuttle is $60. So, Uber it is at ~$50.
I took Bart to SFO yesterday. Got a ride from home, leaving at 12:55pm; Left Concord BART station at 1:07; arrived SFO 2:23 (so 1hr 15 min ride); Air-Train to terminal, arrived at security checkpoint 2:27. I consider that pretty decent! I rode in the first car (where the 'driver' is), which tends to have no problems. Will do similar on my return ...

It was foggy and cool in Daly City ... temps in the 60s!
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:31 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

I rode in the first car (where the 'driver' is), which tends to have no problems. Will do similar on my return ...
I ride BART very rarely, by which I mean about 3 times in 25 years :-)

So I have never thought about choosing the first car for safety. I will next time. Thanks for a great tip.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I took Bart to SFO yesterday. Got a ride from home, leaving at 12:55pm; Left Concord BART station at 1:07; arrived SFO 2:23 (so 1hr 15 min ride); Air-Train to terminal, arrived at security checkpoint 2:27. I consider that pretty decent! I rode in the first car (where the 'driver' is), which tends to have no problems. Will do similar on my return ...

It was foggy and cool in Daly City ... temps in the 60s!
Try finding a parking space at 12:55pm. My biggest gripe about BART is the parking, and the Pleasanton BART parking lot is huge, also 12:55 is not exactly the busy time of day. I think your example a not the typical BART experience.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:53 pm
in Northern California

Try finding a parking space at 12:55pm. My biggest gripe about BART is the parking, and the Pleasanton BART parking lot is huge, also 12:55 is not exactly the busy time of day. I think your example a not the typical BART experience.
It's true that many BART parking lots are full by 6:30am. But that's on a weekday. I think it would be perfectly typical to find plenty of parking at 12:55pm on a weekend.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's true that many BART parking lots are full by 6:30am. But that's on a weekday. I think it would be perfectly typical to find plenty of parking at 12:55pm on a weekend.
True if one only wants to use it on a Saturday or Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.