Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The drive from PHX to Bay Area can be gorgeous, if you have the time to spread it out. The drive up 17 to Sedona is quite pretty, and the drive from Sedona to Flagstaff, on the 'back road' called Oak Creek Canyon is spectacular - Oak Creek Canyon Scenic Drive | Sedona Arizona . The drive out of PHX on 60 / 93 through 'Wikieup' is also spectacular in parts, ending up in less-than-spectacular Kingman. The drive from Kingman to Vegas is another fantastic drive; I've taken both 93 and 95 and they both have their amazing sections. From Vegas, you can pass through Death Valley which is absolutely worth it, and then you go up US 395 (one of the best drives in the country, IMO), and cut over either through Yosemite or Tahoe. I've done that drive dozens of times by now, and still love it. Last several times, though, I've done the less glamorous I-10 / I-5 drive, stopping in Pasadena for fun.
Also well worth driving the sections of the old Route 66 between Seligman and Kingman and between Kingman and Oatman.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 7:57 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

The drive from PHX to Bay Area can be gorgeous, if you have the time to spread it out. The drive up 17 to Sedona is quite pretty, and the drive from Sedona to Flagstaff, on the 'back road' called Oak Creek Canyon is spectacular - Oak Creek Canyon Scenic Drive | Sedona Arizona . The drive out of PHX on 60 / 93 through 'Wikieup' is also spectacular in parts, ending up in less-than-spectacular Kingman. The drive from Kingman to Vegas is another fantastic drive; I've taken both 93 and 95 and they both have their amazing sections. From Vegas, you can pass through Death Valley which is absolutely worth it, and then you go up US 395 (one of the best drives in the country, IMO), and cut over either through Yosemite or Tahoe. I've done that drive dozens of times by now, and still love it. Last several times, though, I've done the less glamorous I-10 / I-5 drive, stopping in Pasadena for fun.
Yeah, I wish we had time for one or two overnight stops so we could really do something interesting. But we gotta get it done in one day. I've driven I-5 so many times in the past 4 years that I'd really like to avoid that. We'll most likely take 10 and then 395 up to Yosemite before going west to the Bay Area.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Yeah, I wish we had time for one or two overnight stops so we could really do something interesting. But we gotta get it done in one day. I've driven I-5 so many times in the past 4 years that I'd really like to avoid that. We'll most likely take 10 and then 395 up to Yosemite before going west to the Bay Area.
In one day!? Wow. Even the most direct route (I10 and I5) takes me (including a few naps and gas stops) 12-14 hours; the route you mention has an 'ideal' time (in google maps) of 14.5 hours, so that would translate to about 16-18 for me (I get drowsy these days so have to do a few naps!). But it does avoid I5 !!!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 9:08 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

In one day!? Wow. Even the most direct route (I10 and I5) takes me (including a few naps and gas stops) 12-14 hours; the route you mention has an 'ideal' time (in google maps) of 14.5 hours, so that would translate to about 16-18 for me (I get drowsy these days so have to do a few naps!). But it does avoid I5 !!!
Yeah, age does not help the driving stamina. Nor does the BPH :-(

But the drowsiness induced by I-5 is a killer.

I'll be flying out to Phoenix but my daughter and I will be able to share the driving on the way back. There was a time when I could have handled it solo but those days are long gone.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:56 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
thanks for asking...i literally was joking with my children today that it is far too hot and it is time to go back to England....serioulsy how long it will be like this ?
i miss the rain !
For the rest of your life

To be fair, it's a particularly hot summer this year. Last year was much more pleasant - only a handful of days where I needed to use the AC. This year is horrific.

The worst thing for me is expecting it to cool down in September and then it doesn't. Even though I know it's not going to, I still subconsciously think that September = autumn = cooler weather. It gets me every year: I spend the month of September ranting at how hot it still is.

In other words, don't expect cooler days & rain until October (and probably late October at that).
Old Jul 18th 2017, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

leepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond reputeleepne has a reputation beyond repute

Download "Waze" - The best navigational app I've ever used.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
For the rest of your life

To be fair, it's a particularly hot summer this year. Last year was much more pleasant - only a handful of days where I needed to use the AC. This year is horrific.

The worst thing for me is expecting it to cool down in September and then it doesn't. Even though I know it's not going to, I still subconsciously think that September = autumn = cooler weather. It gets me every year: I spend the month of September ranting at how hot it still is.

In other words, don't expect cooler days & rain until October (and probably late October at that).
But you CAN head into San Francisco, by BART if you don't want to drive, and experience 20-30 degree lower temps. That's what we do when we get tired of the heat in the East Bay. A variation on this is to head to Oakland, or Berkeley, or even San Mateo, or Burlingame - all cooler than the east bay. Burlingame has a great downtown, by the way (Burlingame Ave, better than Broadway) - a lovely place to hang out and shop / eat (San Mateo isn't shabby either).

Also, while these hot summer days can be a pain, have you not noticed that the evenings are pleasant - you should be able to go out at, say, 9pm for a walk, or just open all your windows, and enjoy a nice cool evening. You are probably conditioned to never opening windows in the evening, but in the east bay the evenings can be lovely and cool.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:45 pm
in Northern California

Also, while these hot summer days can be a pain, have you not noticed that the evenings are pleasant - you should be able to go out at, say, 9pm for a walk, or just open all your windows, and enjoy a nice cool evening. You are probably conditioned to never opening windows in the evening, but in the east bay the evenings can be lovely and cool.
It was much cooler yesterday and today.

In the hot weather, we open up the windows (and even doors) at around 7:00pm and use to fans to push more air through the house. The upstairs windows typically stay open in all night. From 6-9am the fans go on again to push the cool morning air through the house. At around 9am I close everything up and the house remains nice and comfortable for most if not all of the day.

This way we only have to run the a/c on the really hot days -- about 4 days this year so far.

Another nice spot to cool off in the evening is Jack London Square in Oakland -- right off 880 at Broadway.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are making me jealous. It was 90 yesterday and humid as ****. It'll be up in the 80s today but still humid. AC is on constantly to kick the moisture out of the air otherwise you spend all night sweating your arse off.

However, autumn is only a couple of months away and October round this way can be absolutely perfect. It is worth the wait.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I usually end up having the heat (yes, heat) on at least a couple of evenings in the summer at my place, but not this summer so far.

The offshore fog bank dissipates around mid-September so there's less cooling influence from the shore. The weather really only changes to cooler/rain because of the jet stream moving further south in mid-October.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You guys are making me jealous. It was 90 yesterday and humid as ****. It'll be up in the 80s today but still humid. AC is on constantly to kick the moisture out of the air otherwise you spend all night sweating your arse off.
Not just you. Weather here is effin gross.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Not just you. Weather here is effin gross.
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so humid.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so humid.
Can't wait for October.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 5:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
Can't wait for October.
Word.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 6:31 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

AC to deal with the humidity and can't leave the windows open because some little (or big) flying fokker will come in and feast on my life blood all night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.