Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First US tax return - please help!

Wikiposts

First US tax return - please help!

Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:28 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First US tax return - please help!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Interesting - I arrived on July 14th so do not meet the test (183 days in the past 3 years).
So I'm f**ked then, it that correct - I will have to read into this a bit more, but I fear that I may well get a bit p**sed off if what you've posted above proves to be correct.
There's the substantial presence test and the green card test. Get yourself publication 519 from www.irs.gov. Enter with a clear mind, because it reads something like 183 days counting only sundown on Saturday through sunup on Friday, excluding federal holidays that begin with the letter "P", counting Mondays, Wednesdays, and Sundays twice if they immediately follow a new moon divisible by 6.5, dividing the total by the year your state entered the union and multiplying by 1/1000th of the ISBN number of the last book you read that was not fiction unless it was written by an author who's name could be either a verb or a noun,
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I spoke to IRS who I'm sure said that I counted as a resident and could file jointly with OH, i arrived in Oct 05 and did not work here. I too am now totally confused.
OK - discount the rest of this thread.
I have no doubt that DBJ knows his stuff but it appears that as a resident alien that you should be taxed as a US citizen, substantitve presence test or not.
I'm still searching to find out wtf the SPT actually applies to, as right now I can't find any examples, but I'll post back when I do.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:33 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

OK - discount the rest of this thread.
I have no doubt that DBJ knows his stuff but it appears that as a resident alien that you should be taxed as a US citizen, substantitve presence test or not.
I'm still searching to find out wtf the SPT actually applies to, as right now I can't find any examples, but I'll post back when I do.
From 519: "You are a resident for tax purposes if you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States at any time during the calendar year. (However, see Dual-Status Aliens, later.) This is known as the “green card” test. "
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
From 519: "You are a resident for tax purposes if you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States at any time during the calendar year. (However, see Dual-Status Aliens, later.) This is known as the “green card” test. "
Indeedy - that's how the article I was looking at seemed to read to me, though it didn't say that explicitly.
So what about the substantial presence test - presumably that's for H-visa holders, etc who are not permanent residents.

By the way, despite possibly sounding clueless above I sat and passed the Association of taxation Technicians exams back home a few years ago when I was bored for a few months
Maybe I was being lazy asking the questions on here but the link to the IRS site has prompted me to get of my arse, so thanks
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:43 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Indeedy - that's how the article I was looking at seemed to read to me, though it didn't say that explicitly.
So what about the substantial presence test - presumably that's for H-visa holders, etc who are not permanent residents.

By the way, despite possibly sounding clueless above I sat and passed the Association of taxation Technicians exams back home a few years ago when I was bored for a few months
Maybe I was being lazy asking the questions on here but the link to the IRS site has prompted me to get of my arse, so thanks
I promise i am not lazy just totally overwhelmed, I am still busy dealing with immigration cock ups and can hardly bear to think about this as well, I paid a bloody fortune before I left UK to sort tax as I had some self employed earnings, its really frustrating to have to file it again. So please if you find anything out post it back
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:47 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Any other helpful hints, like deductions I could claim that aren't immediately obvious.
I need to check up on my relocation expenses as I did not relocate with a job already secured, so I'm not sure if they can be claimed back as job-related expenditure.

Oh, one last thing - I didn't keep receipts for a lot of stuff when I first got here (airfares over here, a few hundred bucks lost at the racetrack whilst I was waiting to start my job, etc) - what's the procedure for claiming when you have no receipts so essentially no proof on incurring the expense ??? Is there even a bit of leeway they will give you ??
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:06 pm
Powder Maggot

Any other helpful hints, like deductions I could claim that aren't immediately obvious.
I need to check up on my relocation expenses as I did not relocate with a job already secured, so I'm not sure if they can be claimed back as job-related expenditure.

Oh, one last thing - I didn't keep receipts for a lot of stuff when I first got here (airfares over here, a few hundred bucks lost at the racetrack whilst I was waiting to start my job, etc) - what's the procedure for claiming when you have no receipts so essentially no proof on incurring the expense ??? Is there even a bit of leeway they will give you ??
Don't really know about most of that. Relocation though - probably not entitled. Even if you HAVE to relocate for your job, there are a lot of exceptions to what you can claim. I've never pulled it off yet.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:29 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess I forgot to ask if you had a Green Card! You're right, the substantial presence test is for non-immigrant visa holders (H, L etc.)

I'll have a think about what other non-obvious exclusions you may want to claim, but I can't think of any for now.

I'm not sure about the receipts question, so that's one for the H&R Block robot. He/she should at least know the answer to an easy one like that
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

A quick question then - is my tax calculated on the whole tax year even though I was only resident since July ??
I'll check this out myself but seeing as you're here...

You should have moved in June instead of July, that extra month changes alot with your taxes. If you moved after 6 months into the year I think you do have to claim all your UK income, but the tax year in the UK is considered as well... or at least it used to be, and any taxes taken in the UK are either deductible or prorated unless you're claiming a return there... most people don't realize they can get all their UK taxes back if they move here,... but you can. Might be worth looking into. I know more about this shit than I ever wanted to.... causes alot of headaches the first year.

Kate
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:21 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You should have moved in June instead of July, that extra month changes alot with your taxes. If you moved after 6 months into the year I think you do have to claim all your UK income, but the tax year in the UK is considered as well... or at least it used to be, and any taxes taken in the UK are either deductible or prorated unless you're claiming a return there... most people don't realize they can get all their UK taxes back if they move here,... but you can. Might be worth looking into. I know more about this shit than I ever wanted to.... causes alot of headaches the first year.

Kate
Kate, I'm afraid that's pretty much all wrong. Not surprising you had trouble in the first year!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:35 am

cbone is on a distinguished road

I used Global Tax network for the first 2 years, they were excellent and very knowledgable on international tax legislation.
This year I done my own as it was straight forward.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:45 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by cbone
I used Global Tax network for the first 2 years, they were excellent and very knowledgable on international tax legislation.
This year I done my own as it was straight forward.
Did you pick up any sneaky little deductions ??
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler

Kate

Get all your UK taxes back? I think not! You can get a refund if you have overpaid - which you usually will because of the distribution of your personal allowance - but if you earned it in the UK - you are gonna pay for it in the UK......
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
However, there's a foreign earned tax exclusion which covers up to $70k, I believe, and because the US has a tax treaty with the UK you shouldn't actually be double taxed on anything.
It's $80K.

It gets tricky if you claimed your UK tax back for not being a resident...
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Get all your UK taxes back? I think not! You can get a refund if you have overpaid - which you usually will because of the distribution of your personal allowance - but if you earned it in the UK - you are gonna pay for it in the UK......
You can actually, if you ain't been a resident for a whole tax year you can claim it back, I did before I left....does make it interesting for US taxes though because then you have to claim it over here...but I didn't make the threshold so it didn't matter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.